How to make a high ABV turbo yeast sugar wash neutral/useable

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HuckFinn
Novice

How to make a high ABV turbo yeast sugar wash neutral/useable

Post by HuckFinn »

Hello all,

With the initial understanding that turbo yeast is not the ideal yeast and it gives off flavors requiring extra expenses in order to cleanse it of bad taste, specifically, what can a person do otherwise to make a turbo yeast sugar wash (lets say of a high ABV starting at 20% - 23%) acceptable?

Said differently, what is required to remove all taste including the bad taste that comes from turbo yeast?

I would theorize that if you used a liquid activated carbon at the end of fermentation, siphoned the wash, running it through a cheesecloth, reflux'd it, and ran it un-chilled through activated carbon, by that point it should be fine?

If this is not the case, what exactly would it take to make it - for example - like a tasteless Everclear? Two reflux distillations, two carbon filterings or more? I would assume that something can be done.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: How to make a high ABV turbo yeast sugar wash neutral/useable

Post by NZChris »

Ask the salesperson who sold you the Turbo.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I wouldn’t.

High alcohol ferments are shit no matter what magic you think you can do.

Better approach is to ferment to 8 to 10%ABV, and then double or triple distill it. And activated carbon filtering is, at best, a band-aid. I don’t recommend falling for the filtering hype either. Make a good ferment and you’ll stand a chance at a good spirit.

Don’t think for a second that if you ask the question a different way that you’ll get a different answer.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Some people are happy to make rubbish..... around here we go more for quality. The short answer is that 20% abv wash wont end in quality without spending a heap of time on it and even more money.
You can put lipstick on a pig........but its still a pig.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

I've no idea, I've never tried turbo.
But if you think Everclear's tasteless try proofing it down to 40% abv or lower and compare it to most any decent vodka.
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:12 pm
You can put lipstick on a pig........but its still a pig.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Throw away the Turbo yeast and buy some baker's yeast.

Geoff
The Baker
HuckFinn
Novice

Post by HuckFinn »

I just wanted to follow up. Perhaps this is the novice in me, if you took the wash, with liquid carbon present during the fermentation, turbo clear used at the end, performed a stripping run, refluxed that to 95%, watered it down to 35%, and refluxed that again to 95%, and then filtered it, how would that not get something drinkable? At two trips to 95%, there would be little other than ethanol and water left.

You would have taken a wash to 95% ethanol with only 5% of "whatever" left. By the time you've watered that down to a third, and redistilled it, again, you would presumably only have like 1% - 2% left of whatever was objectionable by the turbo yeast? With the liquid carbon, turbo clear, a stripping run, and then filtering, this would be taken further, how would this not solve the issue?

Throw in a peach or two to "overpower" the tiny taste (if any exits then), and be done? To be clear, this is not an attempt to make a rare precious bourbon - just something that is a successful and drinkable run for a newbie.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

HuckFinn wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:50 pm I just wanted to follow up. Perhaps this is the novice in me, if you took the wash, with liquid carbon present during the fermentation, turbo clear used at the end, performed a stripping run, refluxed that to 95%, watered it down to 35%, and refluxed that again to 95%, and then filtered it, how would that not get something drinkable? At two trips to 95%, there would be little other than ethanol and water left.

You would have taken a wash to 95% ethanol with only 5% of "whatever" left. By the time you've watered that down to a third, and redistilled it, again, you would presumably only have like 1% - 2% left of whatever was objectionable by the turbo yeast? With the liquid carbon, turbo clear, a stripping run, and then filtering, this would be taken further, how would this not solve the issue?

Throw in a peach or two to "overpower" the tiny taste (if any exits then), and be done? To be clear, this is not an attempt to make a rare precious bourbon - just something that is a successful and drinkable run for a newbie.
This is not the intent of HD to make something drinkable we can all go to the liquor store and buy a bottle and throw something in to make it drinkable. Make anything you want just don't try justify it to us.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

I think what people are trying to tell you is that you might be able to remediate the product to something 'not bad', but if you follow the advice you're being given, you will make something that is good from the start.

Head to 'Tried and True' and collect a recipe. Make it according to instructions. No deviations.

Extra bonus advice: newer recipes have often incorporated lessons learned from older ones and saves you reading hundreds of pages of posts for the best way to go. For neutral, Shady's Sugar Shine and Ted's Fast Fermenting Vodka (not yet in 'Tried and True', I think it's still in 'Recipe Development') are ones I quite like, quite modern and work great.

Seriously, why spend unnecessary money on Turbo and them bend over backwards to 'fix' a shitty product, when some of these ridiculously easy recipes give you something so good? Even pot stilled TFFV is a good product!
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

acfixer69 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:05 pm Make anything you want just don't try justify it to us.
Turbo is the lazy way to make shit.. learn to do it the right way and be done with asking or thinking about turbo.. or better yet, make the turbo and do what you stated.. but remember, to do 95% one need a special column, packing and knowledge in running it.. just the time and cost, which you didn't factor, is a waste of time and effort vera a sugar wash done properly..
HuckFinn wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:50 pm Throw in a peach or two to "overpower" the tiny taste (if any exits then), and be done? To be clear, this is not an attempt to make a rare precious bourbon - just something that is a successful and drinkable run for a newbie.
Then why ask the question.. as Niki say " just do it"

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

The best way to improve a turbo yeast distillate is to run it through your lawn mower.
A buddy of mine has used nothing but turbo since he started stillin, one sip of week old Sweet Feed from the T&T section here and he's seeing the light. His corn likker tasted like shit even after carbon filtering.
He left my place, and stopped at the feed store for a bag of feed on the way home.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
bluefish_dist
Distiller

Post by bluefish_dist »

Why the infatuation with high abv? There is a reason whiskey is usually on the 6% range for fermentation. If you need a higher quantity, just get a bigger boiler and fermenter. The column or power on a pot still is the limiting factor on output. 5 gallons at 20% has the same amount of alcohol as 10gal at 10%. Just need bigger boiler to process it.
Formerly
Dsp-CO-20051
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tummydoc »

Add glycerin, hydrogen peroxide, and a little almond extract for scent. You've made hand sanitizer.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I heard on the interweb that turbo produces high concentrations of methanol especially when run via PID lol... Best to stay away from it.

Cheers,
Jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
cranky
Master of Distillation

Post by cranky »

HuckFinn wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:50 pm By the time you've watered that down to a third, and redistilled it, again, you would presumably only have like 1% - 2% left of whatever was objectionable by the turbo yeast?
The other day my wife told me our water filter needed changed. I checked the water with a meter and it was showing 1.0 ppm and she was able to taste the difference between when it reads 0.0 and 1.0. 1-2% is nothing compared to one part per Million. Maybe my wife is more sensitive to flavors but it shows that only a slight amount of something can make a difference.

Personally I don't see the point in what you are trying to do, other than perhaps trying to justify some sort of mistake you may have made. Rather than sit here and argue with people and try to change their minds before you have even run the wash find out for yourself. Do it your way, then do it the way others suggest and see what works for you.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

I would say that it's unsavable. Too many bad congeners. You can filter it to hell with carbon, but....you shouldn't have to. No "good" commercial spirit does that. Use a T&T recipe at a reasonable 6-8% abv and go for it. A "good" recipe shouldn't need filtering to be good. High abv is not a shortcut, it makes it harder to achieve a "good" spirit. Lower abv and a healthy ferment is the key to success for a GREAT spirit.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
charcoal
Swill Maker

Post by charcoal »

>>Two reflux distillations, two carbon filterings or more? I would assume that something can be done.

Two reflux distillations take a long time. Good carbon filtering has to be done very slow as well. You can maybe get a larger fermenter. In my parts they are like 10 USD for a 80 litre one. 220 Litre is even cheaper at usd 8.

Wine yeast can go upto 15 in many cases but slows down. Doing more stripping runs is simpler and faster.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Exactly charcoal......the time and expense involved are not justifiable.
Best to start with a good tried and tested recipe and save the drama.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

bluefish_dist wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:28 pm Why the infatuation with high abv? There is a reason whiskey is usually on the 6% range for fermentation. If you need a higher quantity, just get a bigger boiler and fermenter. The column or power on a pot still is the limiting factor on output. 5 gallons at 20% has the same amount of alcohol as 10gal at 10%. Just need bigger boiler to process it.
Not in my shed it doesn't. I use the same 8 gallon boiler for 5 gallons and 50 gallons.

If you want more alcohol Huck, get a bigger fermenter.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

HuckFinn wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:50 pm Perhaps this is the novice in me,
You are correct sir.
I-can-Explain-it-to-you-but-I-cant-Understand-it-for-you.jpg
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

HuckFinn wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:50 pm Perhaps this is the novice in me,
I can Explain it to you.. But I can't Understand it for you..

+1
Priceless TDick

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein