Spirit Run Yield

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Royco
Bootlegger

Spirit Run Yield

Post by Royco »

Just finished my first big-ish stripping run and spirit run. A 76L BW stripped to 18L @ 60%ABV going deep into tails. Added 2L feints from previous runs,
making 20L for the spirit run. This was diluted to 30L, 40%.

BTW my rig is all SS SSVC controlled urn with dome, 600mm 2"column packed with copper scrubbies, leading into a 1200mm Liebig with copper wire coil
inside (and wire spiral on the water side).

Before and during the process I made my brain numb reading up on the subject. This is one of many posts I came across:
SPIRIT CUTS.png
Then the disappointing thing is I only got 12L spirit out after all the hard work. OK it was fun doing it :)

Can someone please comment; this is an old post but should still be valid? 57% Hearts seems high.
And losing 14% to the still means I should have got out around 16 L or am I missing something here?
I thought maybe an imperceptible vapour leak, although the still has performed well in the strip runs, where I did notice a small leak and fixed it.

Any advice will be really appreciated.

Thank you in anticipation
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Spirit Run Yield

Post by NZChris »

Royco wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:18 pm Then the disappointing thing is I only got 12L spirit out after all the hard work.
12l at what ABV?

Using the OG, FG, ABVs, volumes etc., calculate how much alcohol you had in the wash, then in the low wines, then in the hearts and the feints. That should help you find out where your alcohol went missing, or if it didn't.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Royco wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:18 pm A 76L BW stripped to 18L @ 60%ABV going deep into tails.
You've finished your strip run early. You could have gone on until your total collected low wines hit 40%.
Royco
Bootlegger

Post by Royco »

NZChris wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:39 pm
Royco wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:18 pm Then the disappointing thing is I only got 12L spirit out after all the hard work.
12l at what ABV?

Using the OG, FG, ABVs, volumes etc., calculate how much alcohol you had in the wash, then in the low wines, then in the hearts and the feints. That should help you find out where your alcohol went missing, or if it didn't.
NZ and Corsaire, forgot to mention; BW worked perfectly, 1070 down to 0.990 giving 10,5% ABV. Does that mean 10,5% of the good stuff, ie 8L, because I got out 18L stripping down to 20%. That seemed a high number.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Stripping to an ABV at the spout is a common mistake made by newbies who have gotten advice from other newbies.

There is a huge difference between ABV in the collection jug and ABV at the spout, so please try to make it clear what you mean.
Royco
Bootlegger

Post by Royco »

NZChris wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:48 am Stripping to an ABV at the spout is a common mistake made by newbies who have gotten advice from other newbies.

There is a huge difference between ABV in the collection jug and ABV at the spout, so please try to make it clear what you mean.
:? I obviously have a long way to go!
A kind fellow made me a parrot so I measure on the fly. However when I tossed everything into the boiler for the spirit run I measured 60%ABV.
Then added water to get to 40% (some say it should be diluted even further for fire safety purposes). So I had 30L in the boiler @ 40%
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you are making neutral, stopping so high and watering down is not such a bad thing.

I've been thinking about building a parrot for over thirty years and have had everything I need to build one gathering dust in my steel rack for many years, but every time I think I have a project that really needs one, I find out it's job is already covered by something else I already have, or do.
Royco
Bootlegger

Post by Royco »

Thanks for the good advice as always