Building up product for a 5 gallon barrel

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Building up product for a 5 gallon barrel

Post by Deplorable »

Twisted Brick wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:32 pm Great job, Deplorable. I remember when you first got your barrel and grains and had a plan. You executed that plan even while upgrading your still midway through the project. :clap: Yours is an excellent example for all others looking to take on their first all-grain mash.

In a year, when you sit down with a couple of fingers of your prized scotch and factor in everything involved, the true value of the learning, stilling experience, satisfaction, and the final, delicious product is: priceless.
Thanks for the kind words TB.
The last 5 months have been a journey of enlightenment.
The new still is a big improvement over what I started with. The improvement in the speed of the stripping runs, and the overall character of the product off the spirit run are far more than I expected. The flavor difference in the white dog was insane. I really had a shit still. LOL
I really appreaciate all the advice youve given along the way.
I have to say , your easy solder shotgun kit really is the cats ass. This time next year, we'll be exchanging a few drams from these barrels, and I can only hope that what Ive made here is worthy of your gift of knowlege.
May your gently used barrel bring you many bottles of happiness my friend.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Hell yeah, rad work. What's next?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

zapata wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:59 pm Hell yeah, rad work. What's next?
I'm gonna make a 25 gallon mash of SCDs CROW bourbon. If I like it, that will likely be the next barrel.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Deplorable wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:04 pm
zapata wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:59 pm Hell yeah, rad work. What's next?
I'm gonna make a 25 gallon mash of SCDs CROW bourbon. If I like it, that will likely be the next barrel.
Have you done the Honey Bear Bourbon yet? I've got my spirit run cuts to blend and toss in a barrel, probably shoot for a 5 liter barrel, I think I should have enough.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

No I haven't. I've only made 3.5 gallons of sweet feed, 2.5 of which is on oak, and this 4 gallons of single malt.
Ive got about 3.5 gallons of feints to play with reflux and try to make a little decent neutral for some infusions. Considering I've only had my still a little less over 4 months thats not to shabby, but I need to take a break from weekends in the garage for a bit. Honestly, ive already made about a 4 year supply of booze once it come to age.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:31 pm

Thanks for the kind words TB.
The last 5 months have been a journey of enlightenment.
The new still is a big improvement over what I started with. The improvement in the speed of the stripping runs, and the overall character of the product off the spirit run are far more than I expected. The flavor difference in the white dog was insane. I really had a shit still. LOL
I really appreaciate all the advice youve given along the way.
I have to say , your easy solder shotgun kit really is the cats ass. This time next year, we'll be exchanging a few drams from these barrels, and I can only hope that what Ive made here is worthy of your gift of knowlege.
May your gently used barrel bring you many bottles of happiness my friend.
My pleasure, although I think you shortchange your understanding of the concepts involved. To give back even a little of the knowledge I've learned here it is satisfaction enough and how this whole thing works.

I'm totally looking forward to an exchange and have already marked it on my calendar. I just hope our barrels (they should) give up their golden goodness at roughly the same rate. Cayars shared with me some excellent advice on shipping. I'll get it to you.

With excellent 5gal barrels for $50 (and no shipping) at your doorstep, I can easily see your shed looking like this soon.
IMG_8884.JPG
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

:esurprised: I think my dog, and my wife would be pretty pissed if I spent that much time in the garage. At my pace of 2.5 to 3 months per barrel, thats 3 years of nonstop weekends mashing and distilling in that picture.
You should have seen the look I got when I told her I was thinking of going to get another barrel for a bourbon project or to put all my SF in to free up gallon jugs.
And I have a stack of new white oak bones out in the weather slowly washing out to toast and use for glass aging.
BlueSasquatch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BlueSasquatch »

Deplorable wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:34 am :esurprised: I think my dog, and my wife would be pretty pissed if I spent that much time in the garage. At my pace of 2.5 to 3 months per barrel, thats 3 years of nonstop weekends mashing and distilling in that picture.
You should have seen the look I got when I told her I was thinking of going to get another barrel for a bourbon project or to put all my SF in to free up gallon jugs.
And I have a stack of new white oak bones out in the weather slowly washing out to toast and use for glass aging.
I've been sending the wife links to 15 and 26 gallon stills, she said my other ventures MAKE money where this does not. Trying to show how not-buying alcohol anymore, these stills actually SAVE us money, but she ain't buying it.
Where are you sourcing these barrels from? I was gonna order from this Texas barrel company shortly.
"In the silence of the study one can discuss theories, but only in practice one becomes an artist" - Meunier
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

There is a local micro distillery in my town. They have a barrel club people join and get a new 5 gallon barrel of their own bourbon. They decide when to bottle it. If they don't want the barrel, the distillery sells them used for $50. You can't beat the price for a top quality once used barrel.
The barrel club has a good following, and they've got a pretty good supply of these 5 gallon barrels available most of the time. Last time I was in there I picked through several to find the best one to ship to TB as a favor since they wouldn't ship one to him.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Deplorable wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:28 pm Three 23 gallon ferments, 148 pounds of 50/50 Maris Otter and 2 row pale malt. Final blend was 64% ABV.
4.25 gallons into the barrel.
20201115_152507.jpg
Kickass, good work.
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Any wet spots on your barrel deplorable
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Durhommer wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:01 am Any wet spots on your barrel deplorable
Just on the inside.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Im about one quarter of the way through a year of waiting, I see that I never updated this thread to add that I made a 4th mash and added in another gallon about three weeks after filling it. I haven't peeked at what's in my barrel. Moving it out to the shed, out of sight has probably helped to keep me out of it as much as knowing that its going into a very awkward time right now where it likely tastes very woody and tannic.
The other day, I figured it was getting lonely out there in shed alone, so I moved a gallon of KSSF, and a gallon of new make CROW bourbon out there to keep it company, and free up cupboard space while I contemplate what to make next. I'm thinking a more traditional bourbon, 65% Corn, 13% Rye, and 12% Barley.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

5 month peek today as the spring season starts to warm the air, temp swings should start getting wider with 30° swings form the mid 70s down to the 40s at night pushing and pulling the spirit through the wood. Looking good, the flavor difference between the jar of white, and the barrel is not super dramatic, but the butterscotch, light caramel, and biscuits flavors are developing nicely.
20210415_103820.jpg
20210415_103815.jpg