Leaking boiler

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

IDPotatohead
Novice

Leaking boiler

Post by IDPotatohead »

Finally got everything build and then ran into this issue. I’m leaking around my heating element. I’ve tried several different o rings and tri clamps but it’s still dripping. I’ve tried pressing it together as hard as I can by hand and it still drips. The connecting looks clean. Nothing caught in the seal.

Any ideas how to fix it? I can’t figure out why it’s leaking. I’ve noticed some of my clamps don’t seem to clamp right. Even tightened all the way down they are allowing the elements to move a little. But it’s still leaking with the clamps that work right.

One thing after another
:|

FA71E37F-AD75-490A-8C78-3479499615E3.jpeg
8225220D-1809-41B4-8C4D-309EEA97FB56.jpeg
1657B648-6DDF-4256-9F92-F00F26723D65.jpeg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Leaking boiler

Post by still_stirrin »

Order a teflon tri-clover gasket. It has the bead designed in so you don’t use a rubber O-ring.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/forge ... DvEALw_wcB

ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:12 am Order a teflon tri-clover gasket. It has the bead designed in so you don’t use a rubber O-ring.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/forge ... DvEALw_wcB

ss
It will work for this connection?

I played around with it some more. Both ports are leaking. I can occasionally get one to seal but I have to redo it 50 times. I haven’t ran this boiler in two years but it was never this hard. I may have had to adjust it one time for a proper seal. What the hell changed? Both new and old clamps and gaskets seem to be difficult.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

What new gaskets? The teflon ones u showed I use just fine you might have to snug it down with a pair of pliers or a screwdriver or something like that my teflon gaskets are really hard I did that and no leak
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

I bought a bunch of new black o rings because they worked before(2 years ago). Now none of the new ones or old ones seal.

I have wrenched them down with a screwdriver and they still leak. It doesn’t seem to matter how tight or loose they are.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Wrap them in teflon tape until the new ones you order come in the ones still stirrin suggests
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

I have 6 connection points. The 2 heating elements in the boiler, the column to boiler, and 3 on my column. Should I be using those same gaskets for each one?

Also, MileHi has 2" PTFE gaskets for a buck a piece. Any reason I shouldn't buy those?
sambedded
Trainee

Post by sambedded »

IDPotatohead wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:39 am I have 6 connection points. The 2 heating elements in the boiler, the column to boiler, and 3 on my column. Should I be using those same gaskets for each one?

Also, MileHi has 2" PTFE gaskets for a buck a piece. Any reason I shouldn't buy those?
Yes, replace all of them. PTFE gaskets are much more reliable and do not react with booze components.

Mile High gaskets looks OK
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

Thanks. I actually found an old 2” gasket made of silicone or ptfe I bought years ago by mistake. Lo and behold no leaks with it. With that and the tape I can do my cleaning and sac run until the right ones get here. Thanks.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Never had an issue with the PTFE gaskets leaking, do as others suggested and you'll likely be rid of the drip
Don't be a dick
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

Damn. Another couple of leaks to fix. Any ideas?

The circled parts leak no matter how tight they are. Is this a Teflon tape fix or do I need some other fittings/gasket?
A93BF1E8-327B-4129-BB7B-862331383E65.jpeg
A93BF1E8-327B-4129-BB7B-862331383E65.jpeg
jward
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jward »

That looks like you are connecting a hose bib to a pipe thread. Different fittings.
sambedded
Trainee

Post by sambedded »

Try PTFE tape first. It usually helps even if threads types are different. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Harvey-1-2- ... /202280370
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

jward wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:21 pm That looks like you are connecting a hose bib to a pipe thread. Different fittings.
Looks more like flair to pipe to me
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

Dammit. I guess that’s what I get for relying on Home Depot employees. Is there an easier way to connect 5/8 tubing to CSST?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

IDPotatohead wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:04 am I’m leaking around my heating element. I’ve tried several different o rings and tri clamps but it’s still dripping.

Any ideas how to fix it? I can’t figure out why it’s leaking. I’ve noticed some of my clamps don’t seem to clamp right. Even tightened all the way down they are allowing the elements to move a little. But it’s still leaking with the clamps that work right
Tri-clamp fittings are not meant to use simple O-rings
As you found out, they will leak.
Since the seal isn't in contact with alcohol vapor
A regular silicon tri-clamp seal will do the job
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

IDPotatohead wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:08 pm Damn. Another couple of leaks to fix. Any ideas?

Teflon tape is your friend :wink:
I hate cheap garden hoses
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

As above , the o ring is the problem.
Use the proper gasket for the job.
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

Yeah got that. New PTFE gaskets are on the way. I was able to get by and do my cleaning run.

Set up is looking solid except for the one issue at the coil. Can I cut the fitting off and slide 1/2" ID tubing over the CSST and use a hose clamp or will that leak? It looks like the CSST is spiraled so I'm guessing that the water would leak? I want to be sure before I hack an end off.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Wait don't hack the end off :shock:
That will make it almost impossible to easily fix
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

shadylane wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:33 pm Wait don't hack the end off :shock:
Ok. Teflon tape fixed the inlet(the side everyone said was the wrong thread), but not the outlet.
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

shadylane wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:33 pm Wait don't hack the end off :shock:
Ok. Teflon tape fixed the inlet(the side everyone said was the wrong thread), but not the outlet(Garden hose side). I want to ditch the garden hose anyway. I think doing the same thing on the outlet with a barb to my 5/8th will work
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Now your talking :thumbup:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Geez Mr. Potatohead.

The teflon tape, properly called “plumber’s tape” acts as a lubricant between the threads as you tighten the threaded joint. It is NOT a sealant. It is a lubricant allowing you to torque the fittings a little tighter. The pipe threads are tapered and naturally get tighter as you wrench them. The plumber’s tape just helps that process. You should use it on all threaded joints.

Another thing to consider is that your CSST fitting is aluminum while your water fittings (hose adapter and barb fitting) are brass...dissimilar metals. You shouldn’t have trouble with the brass but the aluminum may tend to “gall” as you’re threading the two together. The tape will help reduce the likelihood of that however.

“How tight?” is the question often asked. My uncle used to say, “twist it off, then back it back 1/2 a turn”. In other words, tight but not too tight. Again, the aluminum threads will shear off before the brass will, so be careful.
ss
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:56 pm Geez Mr. Potatohead.

The teflon tape, properly called “plumber’s tape” acts as a lubricant between the threads as you tighten the threaded joint. It is NOT a sealant. It is a lubricant allowing you to torque the fittings a little tighter.
Buffalo chips
It forms a seal
Last edited by shadylane on Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

shadylane wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:25 pm

The teflon tape, properly called “plumber’s tape” acts as a lubricant between the threads as you tighten the threaded joint. It is NOT a sealant. It is a lubricant allowing you to torque the fittings a little tighter.
Buffalo chips
Not trying to argue SS, but from what I've read it's purpose is for both.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

One turn might be called a lubricant
A dozen turns makes a damn good sealant :lol:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

Shady,

You’re wrong. It’s the threads that seal. The lubricant simply allows you to tighten the joint better. I’ve plumbed hundreds of homes and buildings, water and gas, and the teflon is not used as a sealant.

Next time you join pipes together, wrap the pipe threads and twist them hand tight. Then see how long it takes before it leaks.
ss
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

The teflon tape, properly called “plumber’s tape” acts as a lubricant between the threads as you tighten the threaded joint. It is NOT a sealant. It is a lubricant allowing you to torque the fittings a little tighter. The pipe threads are tapered and naturally get tighter as you wrench them. The plumber’s tape just helps that process. You should use it on all threaded joints.

Another thing to consider is that your CSST fitting is aluminum while your water fittings (hose adapter and barb fitting) are brass...dissimilar metals. You shouldn’t have trouble with the brass but the aluminum may tend to “gall” as you’re threading the two together. The tape will help reduce the likelihood of that however.

“How tight?” is the question often asked. My uncle used to say, “twist it off, then back it back 1/2 a turn”. In other words, tight but not too tight. Again, the aluminum threads will shear off before the brass will, so be careful.
ss
CSST fittings are brass or stainless steel. aluminum is not legal for gas pipe.
be water my friend
IDPotatohead
Novice

Post by IDPotatohead »

still_stirrin wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:54 pm Shady,

You’re wrong. It’s the threads that seal. The lubricant simply allows you to tighten the joint better. I’ve plumbed hundreds of homes and buildings, water and gas, and the teflon is not used as a sealant.

Next time you join pipes together, wrap the pipe threads and twist them hand tight. Then see how long it takes before it leaks.
ss
"The tape also works as a deformable filler...."

Not saying it doesn't lubricate, but how can adding pliable material in a gap not help fill and seal it...? Everything on google says "Lubricant and sealant."