Sugar wash puking???

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Graw
Novice

Sugar wash puking???

Post by Graw »

Hey guys
My 4th sugar wash run, 12 pounds sugar and turbo yeast. 5 gallon still with a thumper
My plan is to do 3 sugar wash stripping runs and take all the low wines diluted to 80% and do a spirit run. This run I did the exact same thing as last three runs. Electric element full energy until get product and then drop it down to 50% for remaning strip. This time (unlike all other times) my foreshots came out cloudy. So i dialed heat down right away. The rest of the run was ALL cloudy. I’m
Not to concerned since I am going to run it again but why would this run be all cloudy? Nothing was different than other runs that came out clear. Recipe same, ran it the same. I understand that this is a sign of puking but any ideas why it happened this time? Started out at 77%abv and stopped at 40%. Got a gallon of lows averaged 123 proof.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sugar wash puking???

Post by MartinCash »

Was it finished fermenting? Leftover unfermented sugar can help it puke.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

If it did everything the same it would seem like a fermentation problem but it's weird. What other variable was different? Extreme fermentation temperature? It has nothing to do with the question, but I would avoid that turbo yeast in the future.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Graw wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:23 pm...My plan is to do 3 sugar wash stripping runs and take all the low wines diluted to 80% and do a spirit run...Started out at 77%abv and stopped at 40%. Got a gallon of lows averaged 123 proof...
You’re not making sense. How can you dilute the low wines to 80%ABV when your stripping run collection starts at 77%ABV and drops to 40%ABV at the spout?

Have you figured out how to create “perpetual motion” too?

What kind of still are you using? Do you have packing in it? It sounds like 50% power is still too much power and it’s causing flooding with this wash.

And, as others have pointed out, there is an anomaly with this wash making it more sensitive to puking/flooding.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Graw
Novice

Post by Graw »

still_stirrin wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:55 am
Graw wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:23 pm...My plan is to do 3 sugar wash stripping runs and take all the low wines diluted to 80% and do a spirit run...Started out at 77%abv and stopped at 40%. Got a gallon of lows averaged 123 proof...
You’re not making sense. How can you dilute the low wines to 80%ABV when your stripping run collection starts at 77%ABV and drops to 40%ABV at the spout?

Have you figured out how to create “perpetual motion” too?

Simple mistype. Not 80%abv since that would be way to high to run again, so ya 80 proof,40 %

Everything is exactly same. Same ferment location, same brand turbo, and it sat for 5 days and ferment was complete.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Graw wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 am and it sat for 5 days and ferment was complete.
How do you know that the ferment was complete ? ? What method was used to determine that ? ?

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

StillerBoy wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:50 pm
Graw wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 am and it sat for 5 days and ferment was complete.
How do you know that the ferment was complete ? ? What method was used to determine that they were all the same ? ?

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Did you taste it or take a hydrometer reading?
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Graw
Novice

Post by Graw »

It stopped bubbling in airlock, hydrometer reading remained the same for 2 days, a bit under 1.0
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Graw wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:20 am hydrometer reading remained the same for 2 days, a bit under 1.0
There's part of the issue, at 1.000 there's still unfermented sugars, which originate from wash not properly done and managed..

Many items can make a wash not complete fermenting.. unstable temp, fermented at temp to low, Ph being to high or to low, to much sugar for the amount of water used.. it does not take much of a different to make the yeast not do its work properly.. a healthy environment for the yeast is always a requirement, deviate and issues araise.. simple, notes would tell where is occurred..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Graw
Novice

Post by Graw »

So if not completely fermented that will cause cloudy distillate?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

It might cause puking....which in turn might cause cloudy distilate.