Sweet Feed Wash

Other discussions for folks new to the wonderful craft of home distilling.

Moderator: Site Moderator

joebob
Novice

Re: Sweet Feed Wash

Post by joebob »

I took all the mash about 40 gallons, did some calculations added sugar and yeast been cooking for a week a little at a time. I have had very good results had some at 150 and men ben drinking shine for years said they have never tasted any as smooth as this.You can literally drink the 110 I had straight with very little burn. I only need to get my yield up so I am going to order some 48hr turbo that yields 23% in 4 to 5 days. They say the wash is better the 2nd and 3rd time I don't know how it can get much better, Guys Thanks for all the information
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

joebob wrote:I took all the mash about 40 gallons, did some calculations added sugar and yeast been cooking for a week a little at a time. I have had very good results had some at 150 and men ben drinking shine for years said they have never tasted any as smooth as this.You can literally drink the 110 I had straight with very little burn. I only need to get my yield up so I am going to order some 48hr turbo that yields 23% in 4 to 5 days. They say the wash is better the 2nd and 3rd time I don't know how it can get much better, Guys Thanks for all the information
Next generations won't be better if you use turbo yeast and up the % to 20+!!!
One of the reasons this is a great recipe is because it doesn't push the ABV high. Makes a much better shine this way!!
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

@ joebob,

Strongly suggest doing Forum research on the topic of ‘Turbo Yeast’. Using Turbo Yeast results in undesirable flavor and smells in the finished sprit product. Suggest visiting the ‘Tried and True Recipes’ sub-forum and note that none of these known proven recipes use any Turbo Yeast. A quality mash wash recipe limits the Alcohol By Volume (ABV) between 10 to 14 percent. Pushing the mash wash Alcohol By Volume above 14 percent over stress the yeast resulting in undesirable flavor and smells. Most knowledge experienced home hobby distillers limit their mash wash ABV to 10 to 12 percent – they strive for quality instead of quantity.

Regards,
Coaster
Last edited by Coaster on Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fastill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Fastill »

Coaster wrote:@ joebob,

Strongly suggest doing Forum research on the topic of ‘Turbo Yeast’. Using Turbo Yeast results in undesirable flavor and smells in the finished sprit product. Suggest visiting the ‘Tried and True Recipes’ sub-forum and note that none of these known proven recipes use any Turbo Yeast. A quality mash wash recipe limits the Alcohol By Volume (ABV) between 10 to 14 percent. Pushing the mash wash Alcohol By Volume above 14 percent over stress the yeast resulting in undesirable flavor and smells.

Regards,
Coaster
+1
Much better explanation than mine! :thumbup:
A.D.D. and HD don't go together. This hobby takes time and dedication to learn and do it right and safe.
Fill the pool before you jump in head first!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=52975
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

joebob wrote:I took all the mash about 40 gallons, did some calculations added sugar and yeast been cooking for a week a little at a time. I have had very good results had some at 150 and men ben drinking shine for years said they have never tasted any as smooth as this.You can literally drink the 110 I had straight with very little burn. I only need to get my yield up so I am going to order some 48hr turbo that yields 23% in 4 to 5 days. They say the wash is better the 2nd and 3rd time I don't know how it can get much better, Guys Thanks for all the information
40 gal at 10%ish would give you around 4 gallons of drinking stock. Why would you need to up the yield? 4 gallons ain't enough?

I agree with the others. Turbo would make you some nice fuel. But it gona jack your drinking stuff up. If you like it why jack with it? Greed has no part in this hobby.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
joebob
Novice

Post by joebob »

I am not trying to be greedy just trying to get the most out of the mash it will produce. I had been told I should be yielding 25% so I was trying to accomplish that.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Making the yeasties work above 14% no mater what yeast it is. Stresses the hell out of them. And makes them unhappy. You need to make the yeasties happy so the will fart CO2 and piss ethanol. You make them unhappy they will shit in your drink.

Yes if you push it to 25% you will have more alcohol. But that doesn't mean its good alcohol. It will produce more heads and tails and nasty off tastes. So in order to get good drinking stuff. You will need to cut a higher percent of bad stuff out. So your left with maybe maybe just a bit more drink. If not about the same. But the flavors won't be anywhere near the same as what you have made already.

Don't know who told you you need to push it to 25%? That's ridiculously high.

I need to copy this reply so I don't have to type it so much. That's twice today. :(
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

joebob wrote:.....I had been told I should be yielding 25% so I was trying to accomplish that.....
@ joebob,

Whoever told you that your mash wash should be yielding 25 percent Alcohol By Volume was not making human consumption drinkable alcohol – they were attempting to make some type of fuel.....probably for the now defunct Space Shuttle.

By the way Forum Member billy_bob_95 who was the originator of this Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:31AM “Sweet Feed Wash” thread hasn’t been active in this Forum for almost a year. If you really want to get current up to date information on a known proven Sweet Feed recipe once again suggest visiting the ‘Tried And True Recipes’ sub-forum and review the ‘Sweetfeed Whisky’ thread – I suggested that to you a week and half ago.

Regards,
Coaster
joebob
Novice

Post by joebob »

I told you I had looked at the Forum but this Sweet Feed Wash was made before I posted anything and had to fix the mash I haven't started anything new. When I start something new then I can use recipes from the Tried and True Recipes.
Coaster
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Coaster »

@ joebob,

My comment to you is that the ‘Tried And True Recipes’ sub-forum ‘Sweetfeed Whisky’ thread makes absolutely no mention of attempting to use ‘Turbo Yeast’ or suggests pushing the mash wash Alcohol By Volume (ABV) percentage above 14 percent. So if you are in fact going to be using the ‘Tried And True Recipes’ sub-forum ‘Sweetfeed Whisky’ recipe where are you getting the notion that you need to use ‘Turbo Yeast’ or push your ‘Sweetfeed’ mash wash Alcohol By Volume (ABV) percentage to 25 percent?

Regards,
Coaster
racksnquacks1
Novice

Post by racksnquacks1 »

I am going to give this mash a shot for my first run in our new still. I am going to make a 40 gal batch and just multiply the ingredients to suit my needs. Also going to throw in some honey into the second run using the backset and see if it makes it taste any different. I am new to the hobby and can't wait to make my own product. Should I expect about 10-15% end product out of this first run?
Boy I believe I'll call this one 5 fights to a pint
smitty7775
Novice

Post by smitty7775 »

Don't use the recipe in this thread...

Go to tried and true section and use
that sweet feed recipe.

I'm thinking the poster that wanted 25%
was told by someone,they should expect
25% finished product...like a 4 gallon
wash should get 1 gallon drink...after
cuts and proofing,not 25% alcohol

I'm not saying that's correct, just saying
someone got confused.

Smitty
racksnquacks1
Novice

Post by racksnquacks1 »

Just made a wash out sweet feed

40 gal

40lb sweet feed
25 lb sugar
5 packets distillers yeast

Home does this sound it was my first wash I ever made and it is on day 2 and is working good
Shakey
Novice

Post by Shakey »

I'd like to try this sweet feed wash. When reading the feed tags on a number of brands I see numerous trace elements added like Lysine, Threonine, copper, Selenium and many other compounds I can't pronounce. Are all of these additives safe to ingest ? I can't find ANY feed that doesn't have a large number of these ingredients.
racksnquacks1
Novice

Post by racksnquacks1 »

I went to the grain elevator and bought mine, not from tractor supply or anyplace like that. The bag I recieved had no filler, just oats, corn, and wet molasses. The mix smells great in the fermenter. I mixed this batch on friday of last week, and it is clearing up and slowing down to only a few bubbles every 30 seconds. Should be able to run soon and see how it turns out.
Al Key
Novice

Post by Al Key »

billy_bob_95 wrote:Should this wash be stirred after it has started fermenting? Are should I just let it alone? Stirred it really good before I put the lid on it.
For what it's worth, I pick up each fermentation pail by the handle, without uncovering, and rotate one revolution. I think this stirs the bottom somewhat without exposure. They really bubble for a while. I do this morning and evening. Not sure if it helps but it hasn't hurt anything so far.

Al
I read, reread, and read some more. Too many gigabytes of info for my kilobyte brain, but I'm learning.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

" I think this stirs the bottom somewhat without exposure. "
your most likely dislodging trapped co2.
Black Eye
Rumrunner

Post by Black Eye »

Making the yeasties work above 14% no mater what yeast it is. Stresses the hell out of them. And makes them unhappy. You need to make the yeasties happy so the will fart CO2 and piss ethanol. You make them unhappy they will shit in your drink.
:clap: I almost pissed ethanol after reading that.

I'm running a double batch of sweet feed myself, 10 gallons in all. I bought it from my local feed store, not one of the big box stores, and the only ingredients on the tag were Cracked Oats and Mollasses. I processed it like I typically do with a beer run, but added all the sugar that was in the Tried and True recipe and it's fermenting great. Since the oats were already cracked I figured the Steep and Wash method would do well to get more surgar out of the grains. I'm pretty excited with the results so far, first time I've tried this recipe.

For what it's worth, I pick up each fermentation pail by the handle, without uncovering, and rotate one revolution. I think this stirs the bottom somewhat without exposure. They really bubble for a while. I do this morning and evening. Not sure if it helps but it hasn't hurt anything so far.
I've heard of this being done before. Typically I like to pitch my yeast and let it sit and see what happens.... Patients is a virtue. If I'm not getting the results I want then I might shake things up and resuspend my yeast.

I wish I had found this site BEFORE I started with the craft.... I've truely learned a lot of interesting things here. The old lady says I become hypnotized when I start poking around on here.
Only way to drink all day... is to start in the morning
Al Key
Novice

Post by Al Key »

Dnderhead wrote:" I think this stirs the bottom somewhat without exposure. "
your most likely dislodging trapped co2.
Is that a waste of time, Dnder?

Al
I read, reread, and read some more. Too many gigabytes of info for my kilobyte brain, but I'm learning.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

pretty well as it will just make more.can help after it has worked out.
as yeast /trub can attach to co2 and prevent or cause slow clearing.
but until the yeast has finished doing there thing its a wast of time.
Al Key
Novice

Post by Al Key »

Dnderhead wrote:pretty well as it will just make more.can help after it has worked out.
as yeast /trub can attach to co2 and prevent or cause slow clearing.
but until the yeast has finished doing there thing its a wast of time.
Ok, Thanks! No sense doing things that serve no purpose.

Al
okeechobeeboys91
Novice

Post by okeechobeeboys91 »

How much of the distillers yeast do you use in the sweetfeed recipe
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

okeechobeeboys91 wrote:How much of the distillers yeast do you use in the sweetfeed recipe
It's given in the original recipe I believe!
seeyanextyear
Novice

Post by seeyanextyear »

what kind/brand of distillers yeast are y'all using?
DuckofDeath
Rumrunner

Post by DuckofDeath »

Crosby DADY
seeyanextyear
Novice

Post by seeyanextyear »

would turbo yeast work?
CuWhistle
Rumrunner

Post by CuWhistle »

Well sure! We all use it all the time.

Do you want to buy a nice sandy beach? I can get you one for a real good price?
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

I'd be interested in this beach. Please PM me offline as I would like to keep this private just in case it's not on the up and up. There is a slight possibility. No offence intended Cu
greg08
Novice

Post by greg08 »

I am going to make my first sweet feed run tomarrow.
should I use the packing in the column or not
looking for tast
greg08
Novice

Post by greg08 »

Guys,
I have tried the sweetfeed recipe from tried and true.
It started bubling in about 2 hours and really got going.
After 3 days it has quite bubling. could it b done or dide I do something wrong?
Any help would b good

confused
gregg