Nothing Fancy

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

copperheadrd
Novice

Nothing Fancy

Post by copperheadrd »

Hey all, attempted an introduction but it didn't post (maybe it has to be moderated) regardless figured I'd show a few pictures of my rig, already did a cleaning and "sacrificial" run started a batch of DWWG last night and anxious to get one under my belt
Attachments
1420062848234_IMG_20141203_183549_478.jpg
1420062955488_IMG_20141121_180459.jpg
1420062995547_IMG_20141231_165541.jpg
1420062816224_IMG_20141210_165232_804.jpg
copperheadrd
Novice

Re: Nothing Fancy

Post by copperheadrd »

Thank you for the kind words sir, I took very seriously all of the things I've read in this forum and so far she runs beautifully, as far as the thermometer, it was my building partners idea (I tried to explain that we can't run a pot still with it but ultimately conceded), gives ya something to look at
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

copperheadrd wrote:Thank you for the kind words sir, I took very seriously all of the things I've read in this forum and so far she runs beautifully, as far as the thermometer, it was my building partners idea (I tried to explain that we can't run a pot still with it but ultimately conceded), gives ya something to look at

Your thermometer is safe with me. It is true you can't run a pot still with a thermometer but you can certainly record data of the run with it and what temps the heads hearts and tails show up and what flavors are coming across at what temperatures. Shows the difference in temps between a stripping run an a spirit run. The hearts on a spirit run that has been cut to 40% ABV will show at a much lower temp than the hearts of a single run at 8% ABV. It is just things I like to watch and record for future thoughts and comparisons. Always take notes on your runs and washes so when you find one that tickles your tummy you can repeat it.
copperheadrd
Novice

Post by copperheadrd »

I did chart my sacrificial run (and even my cleaning run), noted times and temperatures in there and i have to say the thermometer was helpful in giving us an idea of what was happening, we didn't rely on it but rather ran it by how we were getting the best stream, I can certainly see both sides of the fence with the thermometer
CR33G3R
Swill Maker

Post by CR33G3R »

The thermometer IMO is a useful tool. I see no reason if in the right location and the right type no to use one. Why limit the amount of info available to you.
I did notice a small uphill tilt of your coil at the very start of our coil. I would try to get it all on a downward tilt. Looks like a very nice set up.
Happy stillin...
Still learnin...
MY CCVM
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

Fine job friend one ? Is your water being pumped in at the bottom of your flake stand and draining out the top?
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
copperheadrd
Novice

Post by copperheadrd »

yes sir, i have not had to run water yet because my flake stand has such a capacity, but there is a boiler drain valve at the bottom (garden hose thread) that when running i have a garden hose attached to, and toward the top is the nipple to the heater hose that serves to let the hot water out if i should have to cool her down, going to run a batch of DWWG on sunday so i'll be interested to see if i will have to turn on any water
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

Nice looking rig copperheadrd. "Nothing Fancy" but nice work all the same. That rig'l teach you how to make good whiskey if you'll just learn to listen to what she's saying.

My first still had a thermometer and I took notes as to what was happening, at what temp, at what take-off speeds, etc. I think it helps the uninitiated guy learn what is going on with their rig. As one becomes more familiar with the distilling process and more comfortable running their still then I think it's relevance becomes less. I came to enjoy just listening to my still as it came up to temp and learning the language it spoke. I never did put another thermometer in a pot still, not even in potstills I made and sold to newbs. I say to each their own -- a thermometer has a place if you want it too.

That rig you got will make you some of the finest liquor you'll ever drink if you learn your craft. Best of luck.
copperheadrd
Novice

Post by copperheadrd »

Thanks for all the kind words, I am definitely looking for a quality drink, I have had interest in trying this for a long time and I was very happy to find this forum and have been trying to process all of the information I have read here to this point, I look forward to posting my results from my first run, and always look forward to learning more.
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

Good deal she will do ya just fine.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Nice still...let the games begin !!
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Looks plenty fancy to me. :thumbup:
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Beautiful rig Copperhead, nice work.

You owe no one any apologies for your thermo.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

Really nice! How did you seal where the worm exits the flake stand?
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Very nice setup, CR, that should keep you happy for a while. Nice shed, too.
Gotta love Steve Earle. :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
copperheadrd
Novice

Post by copperheadrd »

chris_zx2 wrote:Really nice! How did you seal where the worm exits the flake stand?
a close relative of mine owns a welding business, we welded in a 1/2" NPT bung and then passed the pipe through it got a 1/2" pipe to compression fitting, used a teflon ferrule in the compression fitting and she's watertight
copperheadrd
Novice

Post by copperheadrd »

ran some DWWG yesterday, hearts were at 58% and pretty smooth, I did not have to run any water, got another batch fermenting as we speak, lovin' it so far
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Nice looking rig Copper
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

Congrats! :clap: :thumbup: :clap:
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
copperheadrd
Novice

Post by copperheadrd »

Just found out my "stainless" bulkhead fitting is rusting on the inside already, on the hunt for a true stainless (or copper) bulkhead tubing union
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

On the keg or the worm?
copperheadrd
Novice

Post by copperheadrd »

my pipe passes through the side of my flake stand (another plan i conceded on) the idea was to have everything held in place and have a threaded connection to take it apart, was working great but my fitting appears to be a subpar grade of stainless, it looks like this:
Attachments
81qm9S8QITL.jpg
chris_zx2
Swill Maker

Post by chris_zx2 »

Could it be that the stainless is reacting with the aluminum? Have you considered a rubber grommet?
copperheadrd
Novice

Post by copperheadrd »

it's rusting inside, the vapor path goes through that fitting so that's why i went with stainless, after researching the composite of the fitting it is a very low grade stainless, i found a higher quality one at only 5 times the price haha, gonna give that a shot before i change my design
copperheadrd
Novice

Post by copperheadrd »

Figured I'd provide an update, I've done two batches of DWWG with pretty similar results, single run gave me about what i thought it would (as far as taste / quantity / proof), turned 10 cups into 2 gallons of excellent apple pie, put up a pint to open on the fourth of july and have been sipping on the rest, got a batch of sweetfeed whiskey that's clearing as i type and should be good to go this weekend, anxious to see how that turns out, big thanks to all the contributors on this forum, i could not have done this (as soon, safely, and as successfully) without you
Attachments
1422469063027_IMG_20150111_113254_972.jpg