Double thumper ?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Young_Blood
Novice

Double thumper ?

Post by Young_Blood »

So, lately I've been thinking about building a second thumper for my pot still, basically for shits and giggles since I have enough extra sheet laying around an don't have any other plans for it. I run an all copper turnip style pot still with a 10 gal thump. I do all grain whiskeys, thin mash whiskeys; at times I sour these with backset and apple/ pear brandy in the fall . Pics can be seen on this link homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=51548.
Has anyone had experience running a pot still with two thumpers and what are the pros/ cons?
Basically, I want to know if it would be worth my wild to build a second thump . I'd most likely add some hearts andlow wines from previous runs to each thump .
Any tips/ hints / criticism would be much appreciated. Thanks guys and gals!
yellowdog
Novice

Re: Double thumper ?

Post by yellowdog »

Don't really have any idea my copper pot and single thumper serve me well. two might just add time and frustration but you don't know if a boats going to float until you put it in the water. If I had the resources and time I would try it! If done right it cant hurt may need to heat first thumper to get second hot enough though
No such thing as failure unless you quit ... just some awesome mistakes along the way
Young_Blood
Novice

Post by Young_Blood »

Anyone ?
After thinking on the subject some more I'm aware that the more times you run your likker the lighter the flavor will be. So , maybe adding mash instead of hearts and low wines from previous runs will keep the original flavor or atleast not make it as light; possibly add more flavor with mash in both thumpers, but also gain a higher alcohol content. I've never distilled a mash then re distilled it (basically triple distilling with the current set up I have) so I have no experience with the flavor that could be lost, nor do I have any friends that have. Just what I've read on here . Like I previously stated I have enough material that's just laying around to build a second thumper without having to spend any money at all. I think it would be interesting to see what would happen, but I don't want to spend the time building another thumper if there wouldent really be any benefit from doing so . That being said I don't mind neutral beverages like vodka, but I would prefer to retain some of the corn, barley and rye flavor that comes from y mash. Hope there's someone out there that can help me out a bit
Young_Blood
Novice

Post by Young_Blood »

Somehow I didn't see your post before reposting yellow dog. Haha that's definitely true and time doesn't really matter . I realize it would take longer to heat up and run, but I love this hobby as I'm sure everyone here does so, I wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer .
Well, unless I'm able to fin someone that has had experience running with two thumpers then I shall continue with my original plan and build a second :) . If I do I will most deff let y'all know how things turn out . Most likely I would try one run with mash in both thumps, one with mash in one and hearts and low wines in the other and a third with hearts and low wines in both. That way I can see what the difference is between the three end products
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I remember reading somewhere here about rum makers using two thumpers. If I remember correctly low wines in one and molasses in the other.

Sorry I know I don't help much but just letting you know I've seen it done somewhere here before. It should be very possible!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Young_Blood
Novice

Post by Young_Blood »

Hey, no worries still learning a little input is better then nothing atleast that's the way I see it.
I don't think anyone's tried a double thump setup to make corn likker so I might just go ahead and start on my build. Then I can be the first =) haha
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

I'm working on building an outfit with a double thumper also. I was gifted a couple old kegs and seen a thread about running rum through a still with a boiler and two thumpers, so figured why not.

Double distill in 1 run.

It can work as a steam outfit to distill on the grain for grainy mash or real pulpy fruit must for brandy.

Plus I want to do a triple pot distilled vodka for some friends that like vodka and i figure 3 runs thru this outfit will be pretty neutral.

I started a thread about the build, but haven't been scrounging any other parts due to the crappy weather we've been having.

Heat conservation and exchange to the 2nd thumper is gonna be the biggest problem. I'm using 3, 15.5 kegs and the 2 thumpers will be touching and insulated as one unit to (hopefully) promote the 2nd coming up to operating temp.

Good Luck and I'm glad I'm not the only one trying this. :lol:
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

+1^^^. It's been done before. Some searches should turn up other posts on the subject. Everything I've read says to keep the distance as short as possible - that is, use as little piping as possible and insulate to prevent heat loss. I have no doubt that it will be successful if you just use a little common sense. Good luck with it and let us know how it works out.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Young_Blood
Novice

Post by Young_Blood »

Thanks for the imput y'all. I will most deffinately let you know how everything goes and post pics as well. I have a second propane burner from my turkey fryer an I plan on using that on the second thump. So, pot with propane burner, thump with a propane burner and then the third thump. This Gould help with the heat exchange and make the start up time shorter . First thing I plan on trying with this set up is a thin mash whiskey. 25 lbs corn, 15 malted 2 row barley and 25 lb sugar to raise te abv a bit .
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I experimented with multiple thumpers a while back.
The only problem I can remember was the extra heat needed to drive the thumpers, made the pot prone to puking.
spectre
Novice

Post by spectre »

I have good experiences with them, just keep the insultated

Simple drawing of mine enclose
Attachments
Double Thumper.jpg