Thumper Help

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alden3331
Novice

Thumper Help

Post by Alden3331 »

I have a still that is a 15.5 gallon stainless keg and I have a chance to get another 15.5 gallon keg,I was wondering if that 2nd one is going to be to big to use as a thumper.Any help would great,I'm concerned it will not heat up enough.

Thanks
ranger_ric
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Thumper Help

Post by ranger_ric »

It has certainly been done before... Dig through those threads. I know I saw a few of them in my reading..
If you are not willing to learn
No One Can Help You...
If you are Determined to Learn
No One can STOP you!!
We want you to be safe and succeed so start here
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Several members here have done it. Keep the kegs close together and the piping between them as short as possible. Do some research - you'll find that there are many advantages to a larger thumper.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Works fine for me . Dig back through the threads to find pictures and diagrams or the rigs and plumbing details .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
1965 wite
Swill Maker

Post by 1965 wite »

i wish my thumper was full size. then i could distill larger mashes on the grain in the thump keg or run it as a thumper. Right now i have a electric 5500 watt keg and a pony keg thumper. No problem heating that up. I love the sound of my thumper. Too bad I cant take a nap next to it while its running. :yawn:
Alden3331
Novice

Post by Alden3331 »

Thanks for the replies guys,I thought I found the info on here before but wanted to make sure before I acquired another half keg.I found some good ideas on plumbing and making it work, just wondering what's the best way to pipe the very bottom of the thumper,I seen a piece of copper tubing and holes drilled in it or just run the pipe with an open end
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Alden3331 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys,I thought I found the info on here before but wanted to make sure before I acquired another half keg.I found some good ideas on plumbing and making it work, just wondering what's the best way to pipe the very bottom of the thumper,I seen a piece of copper tubing and holes drilled in it or just run the pipe with an open end
I just bottomed a 1" down pipe and cut 2 'V' notches in it about 30 degree angle and 1 1/2 " deep for the steam to escape . I'm using the 2" tri-clamp duplex configuration for vapor in - vapor out . I can't hammer it hard enough to defeat the liebig with a 60,000 btu propane burner on strip runs .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Heres my setup, quarter keg thumper but will give you food for thought on placement and plumbing.
uploadfromtaptalk1427645251874.jpg
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

wtfdskin wrote:Heres my setup, quarter keg thumper but will give you food for thought on placement and plumbing.
20150328_203845~01.jpg
Nice simple clean design. I like the stand.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Interesting wtfdskin.

You have 2 thermometers...one in the wash and one in the vapor line (of your pot still). I'm curious about the differences in the readings when you run. It would likely be attributed to the heat loss (and temperature drop) in the riser off the boiler. If you insulated that, they would (theoretically, at least) be identical. If there is a disparity...why?

Otherwise, the rig looks great. I think the 1/4 barrel, especially the short version is very well suited for a thumper for a 1/2 barrel boiler. It just looks the part.

Good job. I'm sure it will run well for you.

Be safe. Be responsible. And be discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Thanks Cack. The stand made things much safer and easier to plumb up. Needed that to make a decent takeoff height on my testing table.

SS, In all honesty I dont even use the top one. Just threw it in for shits and giggles. I just chase the heat across the arm with my hand so I know to be ready at the worm. I do peek at the pot therm once in a while during warm up to gauge my heat output since I use gas. Just to make sure im not heating too quickly. I like to run everything slow.
But to answer your question I have noticed a up to an 8 degree difference lower up top. And the top one will shoot up to operating temp in a blink is an eye. Why? I have no idea. Maybe the boiler needs to be warmer than the vapor to have enough pressure to push through the system?

I havent run this set up with the thumper yet, only pot runs. I just finished the thumper a few days ago. I will be curious to see if boiler needs to be warmer yet with thump addition.

Not that it really matters. It will take whatever heat it takes to get the job done.
;)
Alden3331
Novice

Post by Alden3331 »

wtfdskin my current setup looks a lot like yours, love the tri clamps and ptfe gaskets, made my life easier.I just want to upgrade to a thumper and another 1/2 keg came my way.I ended getting a sheet of 3/16 copper and use that to make flanges for the tri clover.Nice looking rig you have.

Trukinbutch I was considering the V notch or a elbow and a short piece of tubing and holes drilled in it.When you say 1 1/2 deep do you mean long?

Just wondering how much liquid do you put in?I have read from just covering the vent holes to up to 4-8 inches?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Alden3331 wrote:I have a still that is a 15.5 gallon stainless keg and I have a chance to get another 15.5 gallon keg,I was wondering if that 2nd one is going to be to big to use as a thumper.Any help would great,I'm concerned it will not heat up enough.

Thanks
A thumper the same size as the pot is usable.
It can also be used for steam distillation.
Here's a link for thumpers. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =16&t=6084
Here's one for steam distillation. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =1&t=53272
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

I use two 15.5s and would not trade em for nothin so versatile.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"