Double Thumper/Steam Outfit Build

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Double Thumper/Steam Outfit Build

Post by MoonBreath »

Can't believe I missed the thread till now ..
I'd put aluminum plate (large enough for both) under thumpers to transfer heat quickly.
The whole rig, boiler keg and both thumper kegs, on top of ONE large piece of 1/4" aluminum plate would be optimum.
Sheet metal 2nd best choice for heat diffusion ..Good luck, how bout that progress report? :D
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
SassyFrass
Distiller
Location: Sittin' on the side of the Mountain sippin' and smilin'

Post by SassyFrass »

MoonBreath wrote:Can't believe I missed the thread till now ..
I'd put aluminum plate (large enough for both) under thumpers to transfer heat quickly.
The whole rig, boiler keg and both thumper kegs, on top of ONE large piece of 1/4" aluminum plate would be optimum.
Sheet metal 2nd best choice for heat diffusion ..Good luck, how bout that progress report? :D
MB,
Sorry, no progress has been made lately. Life sometimes gets in the way of my hobbies, especially my favorite hobby. Plus, I have a little hoard that"s been building up over the years, and I need to work on rotating the stock. Either that or finding a new "long term" storage facility.
I think I work harder since I retired, than I did when I was working. Between family commitments and helping out some other folks, I haven't done a lot of scrounging lately.
I like the idea of using a diffuser plate under the whole rig. If I can find the right size plate at the scrap yard...hmm?

One of the outfits I was around (I think I was about 14 or 15 years old at the time) had a thick steel plate under the bottom to spread the heat evenly and to kinda hold the heat longer. But that was heating with wood and cooking dirty grain mash or heavy must for brandy. That plate had to be at least an inch thick... I asked about it when I seen it, as I was cleaning ashes and crap out of the firebox and furnace. He said a fella from the railroad gave it to him.

I will be updating as soon as I get my slacker butt moving.

SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

Real good info for New Folks:
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Ok ya'll. A quick update is in order about this build.
I was just gifted a bunch of pipe and fittings from a buddy that's a plumber. Got a 10' joint of 2", about 10' of 1", and some 2" fitting and various other fittings. Oh, I also got the flanges and triclamps today also. I'll get a pic on here as soon as I can.
Now to order all the 2"-1" reducers I need and get it mocked up, dry fit, and then ready for solder.
Don't ya'll be too disappointed if I keep the outside of those pipes dirty and dull, I cook outside and aircraft are always looking for shiny metal.
Total cost so far is about $37, and helping folks out that needed it...which I'd do anyway. So only the $37 counts.
Yep, I'm cheap.
SF
Simple Lil' Pot Still, no temp guage, no carbon, no scrubbers, nuthin' fancy. Sometimes use a thumper, sometimes don't.

SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

Ok, I told ya'll I'd get pics and here they are.
The parts are still rough looking.
10' of 2" copper
10' + or - of 1"
10' of 3/4
10' of 1/2
Various fittings. Looks like I'm going to have to buy reducers. So that will take cost up.
Oh well, still cheaper than buying all new and I should be able to put me a reflux column together out of the leftovers. Or a flute, or...dammit there I go getting sidetracked again.
Been thinking real hard about electric too...Now to see if I can scrounge another keg just for that...hmmm... :shh:

Anyway, here's the bits and pieces. Ain't mocked up yet, nor are the parts cut yet. Soon, very soon...bwahahaha! :twisted: :crazy:

SF
Attachments
just pieces and parts
just pieces and parts
just pieces and parts
just pieces and parts

W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

A little salt vinegar and flour will clean that pipe up nice sass,get to layin down the solder soon friend cant wait to see the results.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
SassyFrass
Distiller

Post by SassyFrass »

+1 WP, and a little elbow grease should do it. I don't want her too shiny.
Then it'll take a half dozen or so runs (after proper cleaning runs) to get the patina on the inside of the pipes
She don't need to sparkle and draw attention to herself. If I ever get the chance to move indoors then I'll clean her up nice on the outside, but until then she's gotta be a little less flashy.
Hell, I don't even know if I'm gonna be able to push enough heat to bring that second thumper up to operating temp. I think it'll work but no plan survives first contact and Murphy can be a PITA.

SF