42 mm still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with thumpers and without..

Moderator: Site Moderator

42 mm still

Postby cosminman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:20 am

Hello,

I am building my first pot still. It is a 50 liter boiler, with 42 mm riser. I will also add a 10 liter thumper. My question isȘ will 42 mm be enough? I know that 54 mm( 2 inches) is what many recommend, but this is what I was able to source. How much hourly yield could I expect with this equipment, takin into consideration that I heat my wash with a 4500 w heat element (with pwm control, so I cab reduce the output). Does anyone have a similar equipment?
cosminman
Novice

Re: 42 mm still

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:03 am

No I don't have 42mm riser but I can gaurantee you that you will be fine :thumbup: .
Based on having a gas rig that can output way more than that through a 3/4" riser .
Yummyrum
Site Mod

Postby cuginosgrizzo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:08 am

Hi, a 10 liters thumper with 50 liters boiler is a little undersized. 20 liters would be better. 42mm is way enough for a potstill riser. Remember that what counts is the smallest diameter that your vapor will hit. And that is inside the condenser. How large and long is your condenser? Production speed is directly linked to how much and how fast your condenser can knock down.

BWT: 54mm riser is the size you often see mentioned, but it is not related to potstills, it is related to reflux columns. In a potstill ideally you could have a riser as large as you condenser tube, and that would work the same.
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Postby cosminman » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:17 am

Thank you for the feedback :). The condenser will be a 1 meter long likening, 15mm inside 22mm. I do not know how much is that in inches :d

Trimis de pe al meu HUAWEI VNS-L21 folosind Tapatalk
cosminman
Novice

Postby Kareltje » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:29 am

Should do fine.

(1 inch = 2.54 cm.)
Kareltje
Distiller

Postby thecroweater » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:41 am

@ cug.. that is not exactly true 42 mm is fine yes but most guys have a larger riser like 50mm ID and reducing Lynne arm to 19 to 13mm diameter condenser line. That diameter right through would not run as well or as fast, loads of guys start out with those restrictive sizes and shit can them pretty quickly. It is not solely dependant on the smallest section as other factors come in to it affecting vapour speed and separation like the length of the smallest size and more important where in the still that is in. A coil or Liebig working effectively most of that length with be carrying liquid not vapour. A constant fast vapour speed is not good for separation and if it causes even a very slight pressure build up that is worse still. If a small line just mean faster vapour for the same volume as a larger diameter then ya wouldn't see guys with these issues using 1/2 and 3/8 riser stills getting smearing and pressure issues.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
thecroweater
Site Mod

Return to Pot Distillation/Thumper and Design