Lower abv% still design

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

PoppaW
Bootlegger

Lower abv% still design

Post by PoppaW »

So I was watching some singlemalttv on ytube. They were making scotch and the first pot still got the low wines to 20-25%. I assume the second distillation would be 40-45 and the third was said to be a little high just over 70%. If I remember right it was 73%.

So when I strip fast my low wines are way higher than this. I go to a very high temp and low% abv off the still. The lowest I get is 35%. I have had 45% as a high. How do you make a still less efficient? My 30 litre boiler with a 4” pot head on it? Right now it’s 2”. I would like to try a triple distilled run but with my results it would take a year to collect enough product for the spirit run.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Lower abv% still design

Post by Corsaire »

Just run it for longer, until your total low wines hit your desired target abv.
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

I guess so. At that point the still would be adding just water which should be flavour. This makes sense as a distillery wants every drop of alcohol from the wash to increase profits.
Corsaire
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Corsaire »

Not only that, a lot of the desirable flavors cling better to water so tend to come over late in the strip run.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

+1 to running your strip process longer to get a lower final ABV of your Low Wines. Also look at the ABV of your ferment when it finishes? If you start with a lower ABV in the boiler, you will get a lower ABV product.

On my pot with 30% ABV low wines in the boiler, my product output average ABV (cut only) is around 70-72% ABV. If your intention is to hit a 73% average ABV product output on your 3rd run, you will likely need to dilute your high wines boiler charge down to around 30% before you start.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

PoppaW wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:34 am So I was watching some singlemalttv on ytube. They were making scotch and the first pot still got the low wines to 20-25%. I assume the second distillation would be 40-45 and the third was said to be a little high just over 70%. If I remember right it was 73%.
Which distillery was it? Scotch is not typically triple distilled.

What you may not be taking into account, is the common practice of the addition of recycled heads and tails to the low wines prior to the spirit run. This raises the ABV of the total charge.
PoppaW
Bootlegger

Post by PoppaW »

Daftmill farm. Ya maybe they only have two stills. I may have to watch it again