Pot still with dephlegmator

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Alchemist75
Rumrunner

Re: Pot still with dephlegmator

Post by Alchemist75 »

I use something a little along the same lines, though it doesn't come off my thumper set up. Basically I use a non jacketed, no condenser miniature reflux column that attaches directly to the top of my boiler. It's only about 600 ml volume and it connects to the boiler via a relatively narrow tube. I pack it up with copper rings to increase surface area. It does increase the proof visibly, about 20% on a stripping run and maybe 5% on a spirit run but that doesn't matter as I cut my product back after all is said and done. What it does do that I like:
-It flattens the run to a nice steady proof all the way to the tail.
-it suppresses the fusels pretty aggressively and keeps them from smearing into the heart.
-it acts as a governor of sorts, it forces me to run at a lower temperature/lower vapor pressure which seems to make cutting easier as it comes off slower.
-it preserves the lighter flavors very nicely and smooths out the heart.
-it works well for doing a one run wonder with brandy or rum producing a very nice product. I typically only use it on a spirit run but it makes single running a possibility.

Overall I like it, I think most pot stills would benefit from gizmos of this type not so much to up abv but to improve overall flavor.
SOLVE ET COAGULA, ET HABEBIS MAGISTERIUM