Heat source for my new pot still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Heat source for my new pot still

Post by stillvodka »

I have finally finished building my 35liter copper pot still, all that is needed now is to decide what to heat it with, I have found this to be the Hardest part of the project , I cannot believe I am have so much trouble deciding what to use electric or Gas, I do keep getting a niggle telling me ,go the Gas route, gas seems to be less expensive and simple but electric is the least dangerous, in the past I have ran stills with electric elements and a controllers but I never liked fitting the elements to the boilers always had to mess about making them leak free.
I have searched the forum for Gas vs electric but I don't think it's been any help to me, I am still here asking the question, also I have no Idea how many runs I would get from say a medium size Bottle of gas? I will admit though, an open Flame and alcohol do give me a shiver!

Any thoughts/advice on this would be appreciated

I would like to hear from forum members who have always used gas and nothing else

Thanks
Braz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Heat source for my new pot still

Post by Braz »

I have always used gas. A Bayou Burner single ring burner under a 15.5 gallon keg. Once it is up to temp only a very low flame is needed to keep the run going. I usually get two strip runs and a long 14 hour spirit run from a 20# bottle. (Most are 15# but my gas guy fills mine to 20#) I have never had a fire or explosion. Your still SHOULD NOT be leaking vapor or liquid anywhere except the takeoff tube which should be fairly far from the open flame.
Braz
HolyBear
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by HolyBear »

You made yer own copper boiler??? Damn if I would cut a hole in it fer a element. A hundred lb bottle will last ya a longgg time. Have a long hose made so you can position the tank well outta tha way.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
NcHooch
retired

Post by NcHooch »

I used to use propane, and it worked fine, but recently installed an electric element in my boilers and i really like that it's silent, fume-free, produces less heat in the shed and I have even more control over the heat with my MK5500 clone.
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

Brilliant! thank you all so far for the replies, Nchooch as given me food for thought though, ''fume free with less heat in the shed'' never gave it thought of that one, that is what I have, is a shed, not tiny or anything like that, about 3 meters by 6, but yes I can imagine fumes and heat could make it uncomfortable.

here's the still 99% finished, not a brilliant picture, I am quite excited thats it's finished , I have never Ran a pot still, always been columns
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I'm pro electric. I love it. NC gave some great reasons. I would add in my area it costs me appropriate $4 to do a 12 hour run on electric. I'm not sure how many runs I would get out of a LP bottle that costs $20. But then again I don't have to keep 2 around at all times. I would end up running out in the middle of a run. Kinda like I do when cooking steaks on the grill.

No open flames.
No fumes.
Can run it in my basement without worries of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Good measurable adjustments. With a good controller.
Doesn't add any height to the still setup. (internal element)
Quick response to adjustments. (internal element)
More efficient. Element is in direct contact with the liquid. Doesn't have anything between it and the liquid.
Can be insulated without worries of it catching fire from flames.
Running cost is cheap. (in my area)

Down sides.
Power goes out can't run. But then again. Many use a pump for cooling water. So that could stop you to.
Higher start up cost.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

Prairiepiss has posted some extra really good points, thank you for that
It looks like I am going to have to opt for the internal heating element, the last stilll I had a few years back had stainless steel elements, Do they need to be stainless steel ?
I will be doing 22 liter Batches/runs, what do you recon on 3kw elements, I am thinking this should be OK ?
whiskeytripping
Swill Maker

Post by whiskeytripping »

Stillvodka, I believe mine is a stainless steel one I got from mulekicker, regular ol water heater element, he builds a great controller if your wanting to get one already made up :thumbup:
whiskeytripping
Swill Maker

Post by whiskeytripping »

BTW, great looking still
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Are you going to use 110 volt or 220 volt?

I would recommend a 5500w 220v with a phase angle controller.
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

Thanks for that whiskeytripping

Prairiepiss,
this afternoon, 'that is where I am located' I purchased a phase angle controller by sultronics. and a millers vanguard pigtail heating element of 3 KWs, my boiler is just under 5 Gallons, I thought 3KWs should be adequate, my days of high KW Super dooper Vodka with 10/15 gallon Runs has gone, I want to learn the proper Art of distilling, If you sort of get what I mean, a bit more specialized in what I am doing, the last time, a few years back I had a shed full of High octane Vodka hanging around :lol: I dont want that anymore.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

If you happen to live in an area where electricity is a premium....a good/viable alternative to using propane is to have a natural gas stubout installed for a grill somewhere near your "work area". If you don't have to do anything too far from the original gas line...or go underground, etc...it' keeps the cost down. The stubout has a quick release connection and the hose can be up to 12' long. Then use it to connect a burner that's been converted to NG.

Blichmann makes a heavyduty burner that works well converted to NG (although pricey). NG doesn't use as much pressure as propane and as a result..doesn't reach quite as high temps. I think the propane Blichmann is rated at 70k btu and the NG version is 60k. The conversion kit comes with a new nipple that has larger hole in it and a needle valve that threads on to it for controlling the flame. They also make extended legs for it to get it up off the ground (at carboy/bucket draining height) to help with logistics. I think they are rated up to 150lbs (a kegger with 10 gals weighs close to 100 lbs). This way, whether you are doing a run, or making a BOP of mash...you can drain it off through the bottom into a 6gal bucket of carboy without having to lift or dump the keg/pot.

You'll spend a little bit up front to get all that done. But, not only will using NG save you a lot of money compared to propane...you dont' have to worry about running out in the middle of your run! Here's what it all looks like:
blich-with-leg-extensions.jpg
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

stillvodka wrote:Thanks for that whiskeytripping

Prairiepiss,
this afternoon, 'that is where I am located' I purchased a phase angle controller by sultronics. and a millers vanguard pigtail heating element of 3 KWs, my boiler is just under 5 Gallons, I thought 3KWs should be adequate, my days of high KW Super dooper Vodka with 10/15 gallon Runs has gone, I want to learn the proper Art of distilling, If you sort of get what I mean, a bit more specialized in what I am doing, the last time, a few years back I had a shed full of High octane Vodka hanging around :lol: I dont want that anymore.
Sory I missed the boiler size. 3k should be plenty. :thumbup:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

Prairiepiss wrote:Sory I missed the boiler size. 3k should be plenty.
I did think, is he reading my post properly :lol:

Usage
Thanks for posting that up, looks good, I think we both posted at about the same time though, I went ahead and decided on the electric option, :thumbup: looking at the picture you posted, You have alot of open space around your house
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

I never said I was a good reader. :lol:
It'snotsocoldnow.

CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

No, that's true, you never did :)
Squint
Bootlegger

Post by Squint »

Stillvodka I'm on the same island as you, ( I think )

I run my 50l keg on a 3kw element through a Brocott controller fixed to a heatsink. plugged into a 13amp plug socket with no problems,

and I can hear the cooling water recycling into the water barrel outside the shed, so I know my pump is still working, as the electric is silent,

also you can hear the product dripping or running into collection jars,

I didn't use a element from our country but purchased 3kw x 1'' x 11''long screw in water heater elements from the USA

our elements need a 2 1/4'' hole cutting in the boiler, didn't fancy doing that

now that I have a 4kw Free Solar system it cost me nothing to run my rig, as long as it's sunny :ebiggrin:
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

Squint,
It looks like you got it all sorted!
I have not heard of a Brocott controller before. and how did you manage to get a Free solar system ? do you mean, you paid money for the system, the electric from it is free.
620rossco
Swill Maker

Post by 620rossco »

Awesome looking pot mate.
3"pot, 3"LM/VM, modular hybrid bubbler.
stillvodka
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by stillvodka »

Awesome looking pot mate.
thanks for that :thumbup:
Squint
Bootlegger

Post by Squint »

Stillvodka,
seeing as you asked

the Solar panels was fitted to my roof FREE of charge to me by a comapsny who paid for the panels and instaletion,

I get free electric NO cost to me, excess electricity goes to the national grid,

the goverment pay the company that installed and paid for the system a Feed ib Tariff, for 25yrs

to keep on topic

what is the diameter of the boiler ?
which length element will it take ?

nice rig you built there
megmoll100
Novice

Post by megmoll100 »

Hi Stillvodka
Sounds like you are a little further down the road than me i am just getting i am just getting my gear together to start a copper pot build(will be posting pics when i get going) and am thinking the same on heating can i ask if you have gone electric where and how did the fitting go for the element i have tried searching this site but cant seem to find much as a guide. If my pot comes out looking nearly as good as yours i will be a happy man :thumbup: :thumbup:
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Squint,
That does not sound like the government where I live!

Geoff
The Baker