ss boiler ideas

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

appleshiner
Novice

ss boiler ideas

Post by appleshiner »

Hey guys Im kinda new to the forum dispite shining for a while but im looking to build a new still and was wondering if any of you guys had any fresh ideas for a stainless steel boiler other than a keg I thought maybe a milk can but im not sure where to fine one

Any help would be really appreciated
YHB

Re: ss boiler ideas

Post by YHB »

You could have a look at this one.

Not a Keg in sight.
It only took a few evenings to make.
Only basic hand tools required.
Fully insulated.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... lit=wooden
Hound Dog
Master of Distillation

Post by Hound Dog »

Google stainless steel barrels or maple sugar barrels. You can find them ranging from 5 gallons on up to more than we are supposed to post about here on the forum.
LM Still Operating Instructions
Cranky's New Distiller's Advice
Using Google Search

Drinking Rum before noon makes you a Pirate not an alcoholic.
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

What's wrong with a keg? I have 2, a 15.5 and 7.5 gallon.
They're damn near perfect, right down to their shiny rounded bottoms.
"You know, you can just buy that stuff right up the road" he said.
I just smiled, and said quietly, "No you can't".
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I'm kinda partial to my little 5 gallon stock pot still myself. I use a mixing bowl lid sealed with a cardboard/PTFE gasket and binder clips. It's easy to set up, take down, and clean. For a bigger still I would like a bigger stock pot, but it's not affordable at the moment.

I have a 15.5 gallon keg I bought at a yard sale a while back, but the bottom skirt is bent all to hell. It'll take some time to get enough of the dents out to get it to sit straight and stable. I would trade it in a heart beat for a decent 10 gallon stock pot.

I also wouldn't mind having a small (20 gallon) ss barrel with a removable lid. The ones I've found online are fairly expensive.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

Personally, I like kegs and milk cans. But you might try looking at a fusti. A fusti is an all SS container for storing olive oil. They look perrdy but will require some mods. But if you do it right you will end up with a boiler that can be easily cleaned and can double as punk art in your living room.

My wife has been bugging me to get one... Unmodified, she wants to make it into a flower pot.

Fusti. Google it.
I'm goin the distance...
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

I bought a Fusti last week. I bought it because it gave the dimensions for the lid. They struck a bell.

The opening has a 8" rolled lip. Very close to a 8" triclamp ferrule and clamp...as is it is a great fermentor.
Minox100L.jpg
Minox100L.jpg (18.38 KiB) Viewed 4033 times
Several of the still parts places list a lid for a 8" opening (milk can boiler). It reduces from 8" to 2" or 3". "Sealing surface is 7 5/8” to 8 3/8” " The provided clamp catches the rolled lip of the Fusti very well.
MH Lid.jpg
Fusti has a drain in the bottom with SS valve, 8" reduced to 3" triclamp lid comes with clamp and gasket.

Got it all yesterday and it fits perfect...pic of the two fitted to follow, when I can get to it.
Fusti lid3 r.jpg
With an electrical element it will be the berries, I'm not sure about setting it over a burner.

If I have an issue...the Fusti is 18 gauge SS top and bottom, side seems lighter and seems minimal weight. If you kick or drop this it will be dented! It is no where near as stout as a keg.

Oh, and shipping on the Fusti was ridiculously high.

Nothing is new...Years ago, I remember Odin had one as a boiler. He welded his column connector to the Fusti lid. The stock lid/reducer makes it easier.
Last edited by DAD300 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
TDS
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by TDS »

I'm probably going to move from propane to electric heating at some point,
then I'll want a removable lid.
Right now the 2 inch opening with teflon and triclamp is perfect.
"You know, you can just buy that stuff right up the road" he said.
I just smiled, and said quietly, "No you can't".
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Here's the Fusti pics as promised...about $300usd all up.
Fusti r.jpg
Fusti lid3 r.jpg
Same lid most of the parts dealers offer $50usd delivered, Fusti $150usd, Shipping $100usd...shipping sucks.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
DSP-AR-20005
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

very nice! Is that the 50 liter?
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

No, one larger, but the lid fits all of them.
DSP-AR-20005
Monty671
Novice

Post by Monty671 »

DAD

I bought 2 of those for fermentors. I had not even considered the conversion.
Guess I need to look closer to hat I have dang.

Thanks for this idea.

Agreed, I do not think I would put a fire under it.

Monty
MitchyBourbon
Distiller

Post by MitchyBourbon »

They look cool too. When I do pull the trigger I will get one for me too. Having an 8" opening make clean up very easy. You can also find them in 75 and 100 liters.
I'm goin the distance...
NADERHANNA1719
Novice

Post by NADERHANNA1719 »

Hey Guys,

I'm considering running 3 x 3" pot stills based on 100 liter fusti bodies. But I was gonna run them on propane burners, why wouldn't you guys do the same. Why so hesitant when it comes to burners?
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

S-Cackalacky wrote:I'm kinda partial to my little 5 gallon stock pot still myself. I use a mixing bowl lid sealed with a cardboard/PTFE gasket and binder clips. It's easy to set up, take down, and clean. For a bigger still I would like a bigger stock pot, but it's not affordable at the moment.

I have a 15.5 gallon keg I bought at a yard sale a while back, but the bottom skirt is bent all to hell. It'll take some time to get enough of the dents out to get it to sit straight and stable. I would trade it in a heart beat for a decent 10 gallon stock pot.

I also wouldn't mind having a small (20 gallon) ss barrel with a removable lid. The ones I've found online are fairly expensive.
Cut the bottom ring off and then cut out a 4 to 8” triclamp opending, weld the ferrule on. Then flip the keg and use the stock spear opening as your drain.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

There are two kinds of fusti. One has a folded and soldered bottom and the other has a welded sanitary seam. Either would work with a propane burned but, I would trust the welded one more than the soldered. BUUUUttt all the copper hand made pots are soldered. So, just a matter of what you decide.
DSP-AR-20005
BugHunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BugHunter »

You can boil water in a paper cup. The water will keep the container from getting much above 100C. So a soldered boiler should be safe (assuming the solder is lead-free, of course).
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

YHB wrote:You could have a look at this one.

Not a Keg in sight.
It only took a few evenings to make.
Only basic hand tools required.
Fully insulated.

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... lit=wooden
Sorry to hijack but this is one bad ass boiler!!!!!!!!!