Still design question?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

6eight
Novice

Still design question?

Post by 6eight »

I am hoping someone can direct me to some information on a still design that I am quite curious about. There is a local distillery here in NC that uses what looks like a pot still, but has two pots/chambers directly above the boiler. Both have cone shaped tops. If I can grab an image I'll post one in a bit, but it is Mayberry Spirits. You can see pictures of the still on the site. I also noticed the same design when I was catching up on an episode of moonshiners. I think the guys name is Chico. His only had one pot/chamber above the boiler. It was described as combo still and the pot above the boiler acted as an in line thumper. Is there a name for this type of still? I've always seen thumpers beside the main kettle and not in line and above it.
6eight
Novice

Re: Still design question?

Post by 6eight »

I just noticed another distillery using the same design. Downslope in Denver uses one. Just trying to figure out what this design is called.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Those are expansion chambers.
That's that double diamond design. I think that's the colonel's design?
Attachments
Double diamond.jpg
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
gflower1
Swill Maker

Post by gflower1 »

Damn. That's a big pot...
6eight
Novice

Post by 6eight »

That's it!! Thanks for posting. Trying to navigate the forum on my phone is challenging. When it comes to the expansion chambers is there anything inside to restrict vapor from going straight up. I had assumed the shape of the chamber would create some reflux, but didn't know if there was something else in place to restrict the flow.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Ordinarily vapor will sorta peel off the primary path and swirl a bit within the chamber (s).
Some of that vapor may recondence and help drive up the purity a point or two.

Usge has a little one. Don't think he uses it very much any more. Very well made I understand. But beyond that it's just a looker....was my understanding.

Maybe if he ever shows back up he'll chime.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Hi there, mine was actually a small (5gal) version of the Ga Ridge still with a 2nd gooseneck potstill head made to fit the same pot...and you are correct that is the Colonel's work (the Double Diamond). The original design of the Ga Ridge head which I believe he called a "rocket reflux" head...had 2 different water routings to provide internal reflux inside the head. 1) was the cross through tubes from the condenser ...which doesn't work so well and has long been dropped as a favored design. 2) was an internal "ring" inside the mid section of the head...that had i/o copper tubes sticking out of the back..so you could run water in and out to provide more reflux. I believe he eventually dropped the internal reflux ring from his design for later versions of the Ga Ridge rocket reflux head.

None of that is much use to you in referencing the Double Diamond since I don't believe it uses either one of those particular design elements. You can email the colonel and ask him....he's a really nice guy and is more than happy to answer questions about his stuff.

The stuff I bought from him was custom made and very heavy copper — built like a brick shithouse, expensive, and it took a very long time to get. I'm talking months. Things may have changed since then...this was a long time ago. But, his stuff do look purdy though, don't it.