Thumper?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Re: Thumper?

Post by bellybuster »

OH PAPPY!!!! you just gave me the answer I need. trying to plumb a two 15.5 thumper rig with the items I have on hand and your image gave it to me...thank you Sir

Great rig BTW
Tap
Swill Maker

Post by Tap »

W Pappy wrote:Here I am pointing at the 2x1 reducer soldered to the Y hope this helps.
That's a beauty of a set-up. Thanks for sharing.

It makes me really happy to see this design take off the way that it has lately. It's elegant in its simplicity.

Tap.Out
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

Thanks fellas!! gettin ready to fire her up again bout 7 days I hope.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Quick question on thumpers...

I FINALLY had time to do my first cleaning run yesterday with my new set up! The rig is a 15.5 boiler and 7.5 thump using the single hole design. I charged the boiler with 2gal vinegar and 2 1/2 water and the thump with 1/2 gal vinegar and 1 gal water.

So the question: I had what I would call severe huffing coming from my liebig. I let everything come up to temp with water in the liebig but it was not circulating. So at the start I was getting a little condensed product and a little steam. The first few drops were being pulled back into the condenser by the huffing before they would come out. The "puffs" were directly related to the thumps in the thumper. Is this normal for a thumper to have that pull on the vapor path?

My liebig is a little short only 24" so I usually have a SS scrubber in the vapor path. I did not have the scrubber in for this run. I just don't think even if I did it would have stopped this huffing.

I'm not real sure what to look at from here and wanted to get it sorted out before the sac run hopefully next weekend.

Side note: after turning the liebig on I was able to knock down almost all the vapors (no scrubber, running harder than normal) but the puffs of vapor were still there.

My liebig has been used many times before and I know it can knock down what I need it to on a real run, I'm just concerned that the thumper is throwing it off and showing the faults with its smaller size.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

How much angle on the liebig? Are you sure you have some clearance between the end of the input pipe and the bottom of the thumper?

Vinegar/water runs different than a regular alcohol run. See how it runs during the sac run.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

S-Cackalacky wrote:How much angle on the liebig? Are you sure you have some clearance between the end of the input pipe and the bottom of the thumper?

Vinegar/water runs different than a regular alcohol run. See how it runs during the sac run.
Thanks for the reply SC. angle on the liebig was *45ish, that's where I normally run it
For good results. I marked the input pipe to be about 1/2 from the bottom, maybe a little less. Without the triclamp on it does not seem to be on the bottom of the keg so I think I have plenty room there. I have not however drilled any holes or cut any "v" in the bottom of the pipe.

I know the alc. Will run different so I almost didn't post this question. I just figured if I had a problem it was better to find out with water in the boiler!

Thanks again for the help.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Not an unusual situation . The first huffing probably was the result of your liebig shock cooling the first vapor as it heated to temperature gradient . You over reacted and turned on the coolant flow at too high a rate , thus chilling the whole tube again . If it worked before it will work now . Thumper just takes a bit longer to stabilize . Remember , you were using vinegar and water that needs higher temperatures to function .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Truckinbutch wrote:Not an unusual situation . The first huffing probably was the result of your liebig shock cooling the first vapor as it heated to temperature gradient . You over reacted and turned on the coolant flow at too high a rate , thus chilling the whole tube again . If it worked before it will work now . Thumper just takes a bit longer to stabilize . Remember , you were using vinegar and water that needs higher temperatures to function .

Oops! I didn't explain very well. My apologies.

I didn't start to circulate the water for about 30min after the first drips. I wanted to steam it for a while before condensing. So yes the shock cooling makes good since at the start.

I think not having scrubbies in is what made the difference. I guess this is just the first time I've seen it actually huff vs. Just fail to knock down the vapors. Read about it a million times and still wasn't sure if that's what I was looking at!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

After 30 minutes you had a comparatively large amount of super heated water to contend with . Overreaction to that condition caused me to increase coolant flow too rapidly and return to square 1 and more huffing .
A little practice and I am sure you will be right back in the groove . :thumbup:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Truckinbutch wrote:After 30 minutes you had a comparatively large amount of super heated water to contend with . Overreaction to that condition caused me to increase coolant flow too rapidly and return to square 1 and more huffing .
A little practice and I am sure you will be right back in the groove . :thumbup:

Good call. I need more time in the drivers seat. I'll just calm down till I get through that and Lear a little more about running this thing.
W Pappy
Distiller

Post by W Pappy »

On my liebig I just barely turn the water on it does not take much to knock the vapor down at all.
Your water should be steaming a little as it exits.A little tweaking and you will figure it out.
Buy the ticket and ride the lightnin boys !!!
Impatience is the root of all bad things in my book of makin likker!
The sound of a thumper is the heart beat of the rebel" Warden Pappy"
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

W Pappy wrote:On my liebig I just barely turn the water on it does not take much to knock the vapor down at all.
Your water should be steaming a little as it exits.A little tweaking and you will figure it out.
+1 on Pappy .
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Back with an update: I LOVE MY THUMPER!!!!!

Got to run twice yesterday and really got to figure out the new setup.

First charge was 10gal birdwatchers with 1/2 gal water in the thumper. As soon as everything got up to temp two of my unions were leaking like crazy. I had flour past in hand and got everything patched up for the rest of the run but I was not happy at all. I was convinced however that it was fixable. After scratching my head the whole sac run I finally noticed that it was leaking because my kegs were not at all level and caused me to have a bad seal at the unions.

So dumped everything out, refill 10more gal wash, level the kegs and everything ran like a dream!!! As far as the huffing goes I used just a little more scrubber's than normally and got the best temp gradient I've ever had in my liebig. No huffing at all.

Now for the product: I am absolutely floored at how well the birdwatcher went. It was my first time with this wash and I really planed for it to all be the sac run. Well I had some left over and decided to try it out. I could not believe how clean it smelled coming off the still! Its all airing out now but looks like some promising panty droppers in the near future!
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

BoomTown wrote:Sorry guys, been out of the loop on this for a few days....missed most of the action I guess. Glad some of you got the joke, thanks.
W Pappy wrote: Kinda makes ya think just how much copper do you need in your stainless setups? Thanks corene for the pic.
I'm of the opinion that you simply can't have too much copper in your rig, ,,,,. I do strict AG mashes and I have several 1/2 gallon mason jars, one for a Corn/Wheat/6-row malt, one for a Corn/Rye/6-row, one for an all corn using enzyme, one for a Corn/Oat/Wheat/rye/ 6-Row, etc... I'm doing that to capture the congenors from each recipe because I've made several small aging projects just to compare the final taste. I'm hoping that next year around Easter, I'll be able to taste each aged recipe, side by side and make more of whichever I like if I wish.

:)
Boom
Easter is a coming...anyone planning to be in the D.C. area for Easter? Cherry Blossum time officially start's the 12th, but with this years weather cycle, my money is on a n early warm spell that bring out the blossums just about Easter weekend. I've a couple of 1/2 gallon jugs that will be cracked open on Easter Sunday. If you're in town, maybe bring along a little something, and if you show me yours, I'll show you mine.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

BoomTown wrote:
BoomTown wrote:Sorry guys, been out of the loop on this for a few days....missed most of the action I guess. Glad some of you got the joke, thanks.
W Pappy wrote: Kinda makes ya think just how much copper do you need in your stainless setups? Thanks corene for the pic.
I'm of the opinion that you simply can't have too much copper in your rig, ,,,,. I do strict AG mashes and I have several 1/2 gallon mason jars, one for a Corn/Wheat/6-row malt, one for a Corn/Rye/6-row, one for an all corn using enzyme, one for a Corn/Oat/Wheat/rye/ 6-Row, etc... I'm doing that to capture the congenors from each recipe because I've made several small aging projects just to compare the final taste. I'm hoping that next year around Easter, I'll be able to taste each aged recipe, side by side and make more of whichever I like if I wish.

:)

Boom

Easter is a coming...anyone planning to be in the D.C. area for Easter? Cherry Blossum time officially start's the 12th, but with this years weather cycle, my money is on a n early warm spell that bring out the blossums just about Easter weekend. I've a couple of 1/2 gallon jugs that will be cracked open on Easter Sunday. If you're in town, maybe bring along a little something, and if you show me yours, I'll show you mine.
Could always do another jedfest :wink:
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

++ Jed
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
NattyBoh
Bootlegger

Post by NattyBoh »

When comparing a pot still spirit run to a one time run through a thumper, could I expect the cuts from the thumper to be easier (more compressed and easier to identify), harder (smeared), or no different? Assuming all other things being equal (recipe, product takeoff rate, etc).
Dan P.
Distiller

Post by Dan P. »

NattyBoh wrote:When comparing a pot still spirit run to a one time run through a thumper, could I expect the cuts from the thumper to be easier (more compressed and easier to identify), harder (smeared), or no different? Assuming all other things being equal (recipe, product takeoff rate, etc).
Thumpers smear. A single run with a thumper is not equal to 2 runs in the traditional fashion. Some people like partially rectified spirits, though, and that is their prerogative.
granddad
Bootlegger

Post by granddad »

granddad here has been a busy winter here bis a older post of my version of larrys inline thumper this is a older post i still use this monthly i am reposting it for the new guys inline thumper inspired by LWTCS
Postby granddad » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:43 am

to all out there its been a year & each time i run this thumper i am impresed thank you larry here are some photos http://imgur.com/a/mYBQU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow you may have to cut & paste thanks please comment posting.php?mode=post&f=20&sid=ea8f9f72e4b5c0cfa19b0339ed825dce

Thanks Granddad
granddad
Novice

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I was havin trouble getting enuf time to do runs with the keg. So I build this rig. Its a 5 gallon feeding another 5 gallon with a Liebig that is five feet long 3/4 over half. Doin vinegar run now. And I think that I'm done building till I start my 25 gallon steam stripper.
Attachments
14388182910760.jpg
Last edited by jedneck on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Great lookin' little rig Jed. Are you using the thumper to boost your charge?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Gonna use it to strip at. Gonna put the clear in primary and the slop in the thump. I think I can strip 8 gallons a run but I will work up to it. And I wanna work on a clear applepie.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

S-C on your rig how much volume do you gain in the thump on a run? You run a 5 feeding a 4 gallon if I remember rite.
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I have a 5 gallon boiler and a 4 gallon thumper. It's nice to be able to dump the dirty stuff in the thumper and run it all. I'm using it that way more and more for stripping runs. With drains and fill ports on both, I can do 3 stripping runs of 15 or 16 gallons of wash in one session. It's a good option to have.

Jed, I was writing this up while you posted. I haven't pushed the limits of it yet. I usually press my grain washes into 5 gallon plastic water jugs for further clearing. I carefully pour the clear stuff (3.5 to 4 gallons) into the boiler and then dump what's left into the thumper. I think with my 4 gallon thumper, I could safely charge it with 2.5 gallons. So, that would allow me to run about 6 to 6.5 gallons between the two.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Don't think I really answered your question about the volume gain. I haven't really noticed. I would guess about a quart to a half gallon at most.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

It did I figure I'll be able to run 7-8 gallons total. If it pukes I guess it was to full. O well its only a strip run. (Said with safety in mind stills arnt to joke about.)
big help
Dunder
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

If it's any help , Jed : On a strip run I charge 12/9 in my 15/15 setup and gain about 5 quarts in the thumper . Still within safe headspace limits .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Butch i was figuring on charging 4/3 to start. Might be able to go a little higher though, i think they both hold 6 filled to the brim. But like i said startin 4/3. and the thump will fit the keg also. i think i got 11 differant ways to configure all my parts. When i make table/stands to hold it.
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Jed, it seems that your 4/3 split should work well for you. It's in the same ratio as what TB is doing. He's been using this method for a while now and I would imagine he has it pretty well dialed in. I think one thing to keep in mind as you move forward is that the larger the thumper and the larger the charge, the longer it will take it to come up to heat. During that heat up time, vapor is being condensed in the thumper and that's where the gain in volume will come from. Once the boiler and thumper equalize, there shouldn't be anymore gain in volume.

How will you be using the keg in the mix? Will that be for cooking, distilling on the grain, or both?
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Its powered buy a 4500 watt element on 240. Got plenty of power to heat up quik ( 15min if i remember right). I can run a 5/15/5 set up, that i might try to get a single pass stripping on the grain. i can also go 15/5/5. and keg will power the 25 gal stripper soon as i get it build but that is a different story.
Did get the vinegar run done last nite. Had to fight SOH for the dryer and lost (i needed clean socks, didn't fight to hard) so i ran it on 120, took forever to heat up. Forgot how slow it was. Gonna run a dedicated line soon as i remember to get a breaker.
big help
Dunder