New Pot Column and Thumper Build

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

New Pot Column and Thumper Build

Post by npstephe »

I decided to make a new thread for this since it basically will be a new still except for the keg.

I've been thinking for a while that I want a thumper and have read a ton about them. I have a spare keg with fittings already welded in so I figured why not. I chose the same basic design as many have on here with the 2" Pot column reducing to 1" that runs over and down thru a 2x1x1 reducer to the bottom of the thumper, and then the vapor rises back up in between the 2" and 1" pipe. I drew up a 3D model of it and made a drawing with sections to hopefully help other people wanting to build one understand a little better.

My current setup is an electric keg with a 1.5" column that reduces to 1/2" that connects to the condenser with a 1/2" union. This build is in my other build thread in my signature.

My new one will be a 2" Column and reduces to 1" and has a union. This will attach to the horizontal part(all 1") and run to the thumper. I will be modifying my liebig condenser by changing out the 1/2" union to a 1" union so I can hook it right up to the boiler if I don't want to use the thumper. Let me know what everything thinks! I've gotten the 2" column built so far. Waiting on parts to start building the thumper column. If i need to go more detailed in the drawing I could too. I didn't include many dimensions since it'll be different for everyone.

Here are some pictures starting with the drawing:
2in Pot Still with Thumper2.pdf
Detail Drawing PDF
(1.11 MiB) Downloaded 857 times
Old vs New
Old vs New
2" Ferrule Installed
2" Ferrule Installed
Column Soldered and polished
Column Soldered and polished
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: New Pot Column and Thumper Build

Post by still_stirrin »

Yup....exactly the way I'd build it....except I'd use a shotgun product condenser instead (because I already have it built). Your doubler connections are "the preferred method", so it gives you flexibility for your setup.

Also, nice drawings...I can tell it is part of your "real job".
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

One suggestion npstephe, would be to put a little slope in your swing joint (one way or the other) so you don't run the risk of any liquid "puddling" in that 1" line. It's not likely that much would accumulate there, but you might as well let it drain either back to the boiler or forward into the thumper.
ss

P.S. - Elevation of either the boiler or the thumper would resolve that too by simple "geometry".
npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by npstephe »

still_stirrin wrote:Yup....exactly the way I'd build it....except I'd use a shotgun product condenser instead (because I already have it built). Your doubler connections are "the preferred method", so it gives you flexibility for your setup.

Also, nice drawings...I can tell it is part of your "real job".
ss
Thanks! I've often thought about looking into building a shotgun too but my liebig is fairly new and does the job fine. In the future though!
still_stirrin wrote:One suggestion npstephe, would be to put a little slope in your swing joint (one way or the other) so you don't run the risk of any liquid "puddling" in that 1" line. It's not likely that much would accumulate there, but you might as well let it drain either back to the boiler or forward into the thumper.
ss

P.S. - Elevation of either the boiler or the thumper would resolve that too by simple "geometry".
If you look really close in the drawing it slopes toward the thumper. I think it was around a half inch of slope over the 2' or so of run if I remember right. I really like the union design so I don't have to worry about heights as much. I don't know who did it first on here but as soon as I saw it a year ago I wanted one. :clap:
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Very nice setup. With two full size kegs, it can work great for steam stripping thick ferments as well.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation

Post by still_stirrin »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Very nice setup. With two full size kegs, it can work great for steam stripping thick ferments as well.
Not meaning to hijack the thread here npstephe, but...

MCH...would you charge the thumper with the mash (to use as the boiler) and charge the boiler with water to generate steam for the thumper? Essentially use the boiler as a steam generator and the thumper as the stripping boiler?
ss
MichiganCornhusker
retired

still_stirrin wrote:MCH...would you charge the thumper with the mash (to use as the boiler) and charge the boiler with water to generate steam for the thumper? Essentially use the boiler as a steam generator and the thumper as the stripping boiler?
ss
Not a hijack at all, I think it's a good use of the rig.
I do both. When I strip something really thick and slimey like rye, or potatoes, it's too hard to get enough clear ferment, so I charge the boiler with water and steam heat the thumper full of slop.
If I can rack off enough clear ferment, like when doing a whiskey, then I can charge the boiler with the clear, and the thumper with the rest of the goop. Eliminates the need to strain the ferment.
Tricks I learned here.
npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by npstephe »

[/quote]
Not a hijack at all, I think it's a good use of the rig.
I do both. When I strip something really thick and slimey like rye, or potatoes, it's too hard to get enough clear ferment, so I charge the boiler with water and steam heat the thumper full of slop.
If I can rack off enough clear ferment, like when doing a whiskey, then I can charge the boiler with the clear, and the thumper with the rest of the goop. Eliminates the need to strain the ferment.
Tricks I learned here.[/quote]

Good info MCH. I was just thinking about this yesterday. After my disaster of a time with rye scorching on my element. I have about 7 or 8 gallons of non scorched rye left. Is there a maximum that can go in the thumper? I have a fresh bourbon mash fermenting now. I was thinking of charging the boiler with the bourbon which will be thicker and the thumper with the rye goup. This would let the rye get steam heated with the bourbon mash.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

npstephe wrote:Is there a maximum that can go in the thumper?
Yes.
And I don't know what that is. Others have posted good info about using this kind of setup for steam stripping though.
But, I've run as much as 10 gallons of goop in the thumper, and I bet I moved 2 - 3 gallons from the boiler to the thumper as steam.
Keep in mind that you will move quite a bit of liquid from the boiler, don't let it run dry! :oops:
I've had a scorch with rye and wheat runs before, so I'm playing it safe from here on out.

I think it would work great for the remainder of your rye. You could run water in the boiler to keep it a straight rye whiskey, or what you suggest with the bourbon to get a rye'd bourbon style spirit.
npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by npstephe »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: Yes.
And I don't know what that is. Others have posted good info about using this kind of setup for steam stripping though.
But, I've run as much as 10 gallons of goop in the thumper, and I bet I moved 2 - 3 gallons from the boiler to the thumper as steam.
Keep in mind that you will move quite a bit of liquid from the boiler, don't let it run dry! :oops:
I've had a scorch with rye and wheat runs before, so I'm playing it safe from here on out.

I think it would work great for the remainder of your rye. You could run water in the boiler to keep it a straight rye whiskey, or what you suggest with the bourbon to get a rye'd bourbon style spirit.
Good info again. I will do more research about the volume. That is a good point about keeping it a rye whiskey using just water. I will probably just do the mixture of the two as a stripping run and then do a spirit run without the thumper. I'm thinking it will create a really complex flavor, but who knows. I don't want to mash 100% rye again until i'm steam mashing right in the fermenter.
npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by npstephe »

I just want to share where this idea came from. I saw this thread by BoisBlancBoy about a year ago and wanted to build one then. After a ton of research and planning I am finally doing it. Thanks everyone in that thread!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=48059
npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by npstephe »

Well I took a break from building because my daughter decided to join the world 3 weeks early! But we have a beautiful healthy little girl now. :D

Back to the build. Some progress has been made. In hindsight I should have used Tri-Clamps instead of the unions but you live and learn. If there are leaking problems I will tear it apart and add tri clamps instead.

Here are some Pictures!

This is all the parts minus the condenser dry fit together. Looking good!
I also bought a Hot Pod from Brewhardware.com to make the element connection a lot safer and stronger, no more electrical tape! you can see it in this picture. It uses a 2" Tri-clamp connection that's already welded to my keg. The 2" Ferrule hole makes it a whole lot easier
Dry Fit Together
Dry Fit Together
This is the pipe connecting the two kegs. All 1" Type L.
Keg Connection Assembly
Keg Connection Assembly
This is the thumper head. I still have to solder the tube that goes down to the bottom of the thumper in. I've already removed the lip in the Tee so the 1" pipe can go all the way thru. It's not pretty but my soldering is getting better!
Thumper Head
Thumper Head
And finally a picture of all that's built so far. Complete with proper Florida shop attire, flip flops!
My Liebig is already built too, I just have to modify it to add a female 1" union instead of the 1/2" union that's on there now.
Parts Built So far
Parts Built So far

Let me know what you think! And I want to thank this forum and its members again for all I've learned! I wouldn't be where I am without it.
stony2289
Novice

Post by stony2289 »

http://www.nzhomedistiller.org.nz/forum ... ilit=ITSGS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Seemed to work ok.
npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by npstephe »

So i'm getting extremely close to the end!

The only thing left is to cut the grooves/holes on the bottom of the thumper inlet pipe and solder the last female union and 90 on the thumper column.

I finished modifying my liebig with a 1" union so it can connect to either the thumper head or straight to my 2" column. I plan to add some pieces of copper scrubber inside the vapor path to break up and slow the vapor down a little and I have a copper wire spiral in the water path.

I can't wait!
IMG_1226.jpg
npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by npstephe »

Finally finished the build! Well mostly. I still want to cut grooves/drill holes in the bottom of the thumper inlet pipe.

I did the vinegar/water cleaning run yesterday and no leaks! I wrapped the threads of each union with PTFE tape. I also wrapped the PTFE Triclamp gaskets in tape as well. I ran 6 gallons of a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water in the boiler and 2 gallons of 50/50 mixture in the thumper.

Using electric, I could have had it up and running in 20-30 mins I believe. I heated it up slower, but in about 30 mins everything was up to temp and green drips of vinegar were coming out of the liebig. I ran with no condensing water for about 45 min to and hour to steam clean everything. The drips turned clear so I turned on the condensing water and turned the controller all the way on (5500W). Liebig had no trouble knocking all the vapor down. :D

After the run I rinsed everything with water to avoid having the vinegar sit on the copper.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures with everything together. When I run this normally I won't have the thumper higher than the boiler like in the pictures. I just haven't built the table to hold both yet.

Overall I am happy with the build and performance! The thumping was pretty awesome! I am going to start a sugarhead hopefully this week for the SAC run.
IMG_1279.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG
Father_Time
Novice

Post by Father_Time »

I am inspired! I have wondered about using a similar sized boiler/thumper. Having an extra keg sitting around, I now have a plan for the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Very nice, BoiseBlanc inspired a lot of us.
You are gonna like that rig!
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Good build mate. Btw congrats on the new addition to the family. Hope both mama and baby are doing well.
* raises a snifter * from one father to another.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
npstephe
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by npstephe »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Very nice, BoiseBlanc inspired a lot of us.
You are gonna like that rig!
Thanks! BBB's thread with pictures is what first put the idea in my head. Finally after a year of contemplating and thinking it's here! TB and you MCH were also a big inspiration. I really like the idea of steam stripping a dirty mash. Especially after my recent scorch.
yakattack wrote:Good build mate. Btw congrats on the new addition to the family. Hope both mama and baby are doing well.
* raises a snifter * from one father to another.
Thanks Yak! Mom and baby are doing fantastic! And she still lets me play around in the garage with this stuff. I found a winner :thumbup:

Thank you to the forum! I will be starting a ferment for the sac run tomorrow most likely.
Bootlegger
Novice

Post by Bootlegger »

Bringing back an old post haha. I think I will base my design off of this. I came across 2 SS kegs for $80. Going to get them tomorrow and start scrounging up all the other parts I will need. Thanks for this write up and all the pics, it made my decision easy :D
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I have an extra keg as well and now have decided to follow your design too.

I'm just curious about heat up time on the 15 gal thumper? I currently have a 7.5 gal that takes a little while (25 minutes or so) so a pretty heater will be in order as well.

Thanks for sharing your build with pics, I'm sure it's inspired a few others too.
I'll look at bbbs thread which ive seen mentioned as I've not seen it yet.
But thanks again,

Shine0n
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Shine0n wrote: I'm just curious about heat up time on the 15 gal thumper? I currently have a 7.5 gal that takes a little while (25 minutes or so) so a pretty heater will be in order as well.

Shine0n
The heatup time will be roughly the same for the same amount of liquid. So if you're just covering your outlet tube, then it'll take just a little longer because you'll have to have a little more liquid in the wider keg. I have a different outlet tube with a SS mesh so I can steam strip grains. I have to have at least 2 gallons to cover it up.

SR
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I'm putting my stillin on halt while working out of town and been thinking of using this build to copy for my own.

I steam strip now with the 7.5 thumper but I'm using flour paste for everything and it's a mess! Lol

I'm going to post my build and welcome any insight you have for the process, you've done an excellent job with your details and is pretty straight forward so I shouldn't have too many questions.

I'll start the cutting and getting my copper prepped for mock up this weekend, what was the length of your cross over from pot to thumper? Do you keep it short as possible or do you just make it to fit the stands you're working with?

I'll also be building a permanent stand to set up on, I use propane for heat and have no way to run electric in my barn. I like the propane except in the dead of Va winter which can be bone chilling. Lol

I'll post in my own thread but visit this one for inspiration and I'll document every aspect of the build.

Thanks in advance,
Shine0n
captjack6
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captjack6 »

Looks great. Thanks for the pictures and the design. I am doing something similar. I have 2, 15.5 gal kegs and I am in the process of getting some 2" scrap copper pieces from a friend and will proceed as the pieces come in. he gets them on from plumbers on his job so I need to be patient cause the price is right. He is also a great welder he just welded a 3/4" drain pipe on one of my kegs. I will get him to install the other this week. Good thought about using the 1st keg for steam. I always get ideas from everyone. I hope some day I hope to pass on the knowledge I have received.
KiwiArmour
Novice

Post by KiwiArmour »

Wow just wow, future project definitely
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

2017-05-07 18.12.08.jpg
Took a while but I got my crossover soldered up this weekend with the 1" unions. I'm hoping to get my tee this week so I can finish her up.
I'm taking my riser and cut and install the ferrule and reducer to solder the union, then I'll be ready to clean and sacrifice run very soon I hope.

How do you like the 15.5 g thumper?
alohashine
Novice

Post by alohashine »

Just curious where I could get my hands on some of those copper parts for a keg build. I live in a remote area so online seems to be my best bet.

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

alohashine wrote:Just curious where I could get my hands on some of those copper parts for a keg build. I live in a remote area so online seems to be my best bet.

Sounds like you just answered your own question.

Also remove the talk tap adds please. Thanks. Carry on
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

Folks
I am a pot/thumper user myself. I organised putting in a 4 inch port hole into my thumper to assist in steam stripping. I particular I wanted it to strip the sloppy fermented grains in my fermentation bin, instead of squeezing the grains. The port hole will also facilitate in filling, emptying and cleaning the thumper. I have yet to use it as the port hole went in around a week ago, but it makes on-grain fermentation more attractive and less work.

On a side note, the wing "nut" in the picture is just the center piece of the beer keg with the spear pipe cut off it and a wing welded on so I can use the thumper as a container when I am not using it.
Jim
IMG_8774.JPG
IMG_8775.JPG
IMG_8773.JPG
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Show off. Lol
Looks good jim, after seeing yours I called my man to tig me one in as well on both boiler and thumper.
I'm going with a 2" drain on both too.