I obtained this still and

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

RevRich
Novice

I obtained this still and

Post by RevRich »

now I need some advice

It was originally used in a laboratory to distill water on a continuous basin until a certain volume was produce. Water was piped into the bottom of the coil through a rotometer to maintain a set flow. Then from the top of the coil the now warm water was piped into the bottom of the small column on the side witch has a port into the pot to maintain the level of water in the pot. There is a drain ¾ of the way up the small column to drain off any excess water flow and keep the pot full to that level.

I would like to try using it for finishing. I cleaned it up, it was choked with calcium deposits, and replaced all the rubber with Teflon. I was planning on packing the column with chore boys but beyond that I am at a loss as how to make this work. One of my concerns is how to keep the condenser cool enough with as slow a feed of wash as I think would be needed? Do I run the wash faster through the cooling coil and recycle it back to whatever reservoir I am using? Or should I abandon the idea of using the wash for cooling and just run water through the coil? I was hoping to recover some of the heat and reduce the energy needed so I was trying to avoid using water for cooling. Also, how do I collect the foreshots and heads so they don’t get into the finished product? What do the commercial distillers who run continuous stills do about the foreshots?

Or should I just put it on a shelf to look pretty?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Reverend Rich
rad14701
retired

Re: I obtained this still and

Post by rad14701 »

Interesting novelty piece, RevRich, but we don't necessarily condone or encourage the use of glass labware stills for the production of alcohol... Any attempts to modify it, like adding structured packing, can cause stress that could cause a catastrophic failure so I'd suggest not attempting modifications... In fact, I'd just sit it in a corner or on a shelf as a conversation piece and build a safer still that suits the intended purpose... Playing with water in a distiller like that is one thing but using it to produce volatile alcohol vapor and liquid is yet another...
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I can not see the waterflow and your discription for me is not clear enough. Hot water from the top of the spiral. Is that supposed to be distilled????

And as you already pointed out: there are no taps for heads or tails. So at best it could be used for simple stripping.
Lab glass will probably be reliable, but modifications are a problem.

Maybe for some special products, but I think I would put it on some shelf to show it.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Glass potstill with a Graham condenser...novel, yes.

Safe for alcohol production...not by the standards of this website, so don't look for approvals here. Sorry.

It is an interesting tool. But it is not suited for the service we support in this hobby.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If you had a safe area to run it in, it could be used as a gin still, but you would need a different and much larger still to produce the base spirit with.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

You would run water through it if you used it. Should you use it? Well I think deep down you know the answer :thumbup:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
RevRich
Novice

Post by RevRich »

I think I will just use it for what it was designed for, making distilled water, if anything. My current still works well for my needs, I don't need to experiment with this one.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Why not take the glass dome,riser,and condenser off and use for a cool display and use the boiler? Might locate a Ss salad bowl to replace the glass dome and then add your stillhead and condenser of choice. I would like to have it for that alone.
Does it have any way of controlling the heat input?
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
RevRich
Novice

Post by RevRich »

jb-texshine wrote:Why not take the glass dome,riser,and condenser off and use for a cool display and use the boiler? Might locate a Ss salad bowl to replace the glass dome and then add your stillhead and condenser of choice. I would like to have it for that alone.
Does it have any way of controlling the heat input?
It has a bi-metallic thermostat that is pre-calibrated to a certain temperature, I assume 212ish deg F. It would be rather easy to add a rheostat to it though. The SS boiler holds only about a gallon, so unless you were running it as a continuous still it would not really be worth the effort.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

If I had it, I'd use it for a continuous stripper.
Since it's glass, I'd run it in a safe place :lol:
ericrichards420
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ericrichards420 »

I like the idea of using it for a gin still, or infused fruit like Apple, or blackberry. I would play with it for sure.

Sent from my Alcatel_4060A using Tapatalk
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

You got yourself a nice piece of equipment there.
Unfortunately, it's not quite big enough for a decent production still.
However, a gin still as suggested would be a good option..provided that you can run it somewhere safe, cause a glass still ain't what we recommend members using (for obvious reasons).
It could also serve as an experimental still for new stuff you like to try, without risking a large batch if it should be a failed attempt.