New moonshine

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sv_tr
Novice

New moonshine

Post by sv_tr »

Hello guys. I want to buy one new moonshine and i contacted this one https://towinmachine.en.alibaba.com/pro ... 185.2JmnDy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow i got 980 usd which i think is really cheap.But it is "made in China" so i dont know should i buy it or buy from US? Buy moonshine in US what i understand is more expensive but i belive its better then made in china stuffs. CAn u guys help me with this?
rad14701
retired

Re: New moonshine

Post by rad14701 »

I think you mean "new still", not new moonshine... I think you'll get better support if you purchase from a US vendor if you are located in the US... Not to mention the concept of buying American... I try to focus on "Made in USA" as much as possible even though it can be tough at times... YMMV...
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Frankly, for the price listed, that thing looks "too good to be true". If it indeed is a 50-liter stainless boiler, electrically heated with the included controller, and a 100mm 4-plate flute complete with shotgun and parrot, it is a lot of equipment. Buying domestically would cost at least twice that, more likely 3 x the listed price.

I can't attest to the quality, but the external "look" seems legitimate.

I don't know to where you'd want it shipped, but the shipping cost certainly won't be negligible. And if inside of the USA, consider US customs, as it would be illegal to import a still into the USA without a license.

So, "opinions are like axholes, everbody's got one"...
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

sv_tr,

I want to add this: (since your goal is to commercially produce vodka in Sweden), keep in mind that a flute like this one is better suited to "full flavored" spirits. It will give you a good production rate, but along with that, it will push a lot of flavor through (good for brandies, rums, and whiskeys)...not so much so for vodka. But, you could easily add a reflux column to increase the purity of the product.

Also, I would suggest that you talk to Odin, one of our members, who produces the iStill line of stills. I'm sure he has much value to add to your inquiry(s).
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

Reached out via pm.

Regards, Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.