ss 17ltr pot still column size

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

ianskill
Novice

ss 17ltr pot still column size

Post by ianskill »

Hi,i recently purchased a 17ltr stock pot. It was meant to be 21ltr but the manufacturer sent wrong size,gutted. Anyway ,for now i just want a pot still. I will be usinf a 2ft( between cooling pipes) liebig 3/4 over 1/2" with possible spiral. The main thing i am thinking,is it worth fitting a 2" column on a 17ltr still? i ask this as my original idea was so i could convert to a reflux later on, or would you not bother and go narrower condenser? any thoughts plz? thanks
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: ss 17ltr pot still column size

Post by der wo »

2" for 17lt sounds good. Wait, it's exactly what I have. :D

Of course the wattage determines the column diameter. If you want to run it with little power only, 1 1/2" would be ok also. But 2" is definetely not too much for such a still size.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

2" will work fine, as der wo advised. I have a 1-1/2" riser on my 16 qt. stock pot potstill which I heat with a modified hotplate. It makes fine gins.

One thing to consider, 2" copper fittings are significantly more expensive than 1-1/2" fittings....90* elbow, reducers, unions, couplings, etc. If it's a matter of cost, then 1-1/2" is worthy of consideration.

Regardless, I think you'll find that the potential production rate differences between 2" and 1-1/2" are minimal. Either will mate with your heat source.....which is?
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
ianskill
Novice

Post by ianskill »

its heated on a gas cooker. I agree with the price difference,quite pricey the 2"/54mm copper in uk. I am thinking if i do go the 54mm,the tank connector is a good starting point at £14,then a foot of 54mm copper is £10, then like you say the elbows,reducers,etc all add up. ill compare the difference,but as a thought,if later on i deciede on converting to a reflux, its probably worth paying the extra for the 54mm?? cheers guys
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

All reflux designs require the full diameter only for the packed part and the reflux coil. For example a CM with 2" upside the coil, and then two 90° bends everything 2", would be wasting expensive.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Costs a bit for the reducers, but...
Geoff
The Baker
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

For example a boka doesn't need reducers or bends. :wink:

And generally reducers are replacable: Solder a plate onto the pipe, that it's closed, and drill a hole for the pipe with the new diameter.
ianskill
Novice

Post by ianskill »

hi,sorry for delay and replies. i didnt get any further with this till now. I held back on building as ordered a 65mm cutter for stainless and discovered that the ss stock pot lid is going to be too flimsy,as shown and arkward to cut, to hold my column and liebig. I have though found that a pizza tray fits perfectly in place of original lid,so thinking of doubling 2 together to get more rigid. I have saw some non stick stainless steel ones but dont think this would be suitable for ethenol? thanks
Attachments
Optimized-IMG_20170311_144341 (3).jpg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

If the coating is teflon, why not?
But of course soldering doesn't work. The teflon would melt and the fumes are poisonous. But if you only cut it and screw the column on, it's ok I think.
ianskill
Novice

Post by ianskill »

carbon steel some of them,looking also now at ss mixing bowls which may be even better, cheers