What to use as my Thumper?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DRAM2500
Novice

What to use as my Thumper?

Post by DRAM2500 »

I have read about using mason jars but I need something that's at ;east 2 gallons, will be making a 8 gallon still this week.

What is everyone making thumpers out of?
Bushman
Admin

Re: What to use as my Thumper?

Post by Bushman »

Glass jars are not recommended for thumpers for safety reasons. You see them all the time plus like you say they are too small. Our recommendation is the thumper should be 1/3-1/2 the size of the boiler. We also recommend any part of the still that is in contact with the vapor or alcohol should be either copper or stainless steel. You should get some good ideas in the Pot still/thumper design section.

PS: Some of the pictures and information on the Parent site is outdated so go by the info on the forum.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Mine is a 3 gallon milk pail with a press fit lid, wrapped on the inside with teflon tape
Attachments
ThumperCon1.JPG
Last edited by sltm1 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

DRAM2500 wrote:I have read about using mason jars but I need something that's at ;east 2 gallons, will be making a 8 gallon still this week.

What is everyone making thumpers out of?
With an 8 gallon boiler a stainless stockpot would work.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Mgnt
Novice

Post by Mgnt »

I just made this... I took a 5 gallon stock pot and made a copper lid that fit tightly... I use teflon tape to seal it.... I come off my still with 1/2 copper on unions so it adjustable and modular... it drops down and turns parallel with the bottom.... I drilled a bunch on holes it the flat piece... the out is 1" copper probably 10" long with a 1/2 over 3/4 Liebig I'm pretty happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

That looks workable . :thumbup:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Yeah, that's a cute idea with thy cap press fit into the stockpot. It should work for a primary boiler, too. Does it give you any trouble sealing it?
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Mgnt
Novice

Post by Mgnt »

skow69 wrote:Yeah, that's a cute idea with thy cap press fit into the stockpot. It should work for a primary boiler, too. Does it give you any trouble sealing it?
No I took a peice of 1/4 copper coil and sodder it on to the outside and wrap it in teflon tape.... no problems
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Mgnt wrote:
skow69 wrote:Yeah, that's a cute idea with thy cap press fit into the stockpot. It should work for a primary boiler, too. Does it give you any trouble sealing it?
No I took a peice of 1/4 copper coil and sodder it on to the outside and wrap it in teflon tape.... no problems
The friend who made my new copper still, rolled a rim in the cap, so it did not fall down the boiler. Same effect as your coil. He sealed it with flour paste.
Mgnt
Novice

Post by Mgnt »

I don't have a machine shop so I had to improvised
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Mgmt good job. It what comes out not how pretty it is.
Look at thangs an after while it will all make cents

So I'm tole
gungatim
Novice

Post by gungatim »

I made my first one similar to Mgnt: I used a SS office sized trash can I picked up at a yard sale (always on the lookout for stainless stuff--housewives decorate with this stuff from Target and then change their mind!)

I used a sheet of copper I got at another sale --it was a pressed picture made of copper (probably a souvenir), I just hammered it flat. instead of fitting inside the can, I hammered it over the edges. drilled and swaged a couple holes for the copper pipe and soldered them. to seal the waste can, I used flour paste and a big band clamp I picked up somewhere. it worked great and only cost like $3...so look around you may find everyday items can be used.

but now I just use another milk jug since it's so much easier to setup.

the pic is before it was soldered and clamped.
Attachments
thumper.JPG