Best size lines for a Thumper

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

captjack6
Site Donor
Site Donor

Best size lines for a Thumper

Post by captjack6 »

I want to build a thumper for my 15.5 gal keg pot still. I was wondering if I should continue the 2"riser line to the 7.5 gal thumper. I took the 1''ss fill tube out of the 7.5 keg and removed the inner spring, gasket and ball leaving the open ss 1'tube. I thought of welding a separate 3/4 or 1/2"riser for the condenser line.
The other option is reducing the 2" out of my boiler riser down to an 1" or 3/4"line to the keg with a 3/4 or 1/2 "line to the condenser. That would be the least expensive.
Being a newbe to distilling I am just not sure which way to go. I have tried to search for the best size lines and did not find any thing. Any comments would be appreciated.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Best size lines for a Thumper

Post by skow69 »

In general bigger pipe makes for faster output. You have to decide what the best compromise for you is from there.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

Agree with skow that bigger generally indicates faster. However, I am currently running a clone of MichiganCornHusker's modular thumper with 3/4" lines. My 32" 3/4 over 1/2 Liebig is having difficulty keeping up so I'm not running full power with a 5500 watt element. You're going to be most limited by your smallest diameter in your outlet path. However, I'm not sure I'm limited by anything other than my Liebig's ability to knock down vapor at this point.

SR
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Shinerunner said,'You're going to be most limited by your smallest diameter in your outlet path.'

This is going to be a bit difficult to explain because I do not have the expertise or knowledge, but:

I have run pot stills with say a three quarter inch outlet from the boiler, immediately followed by a reducer (sounds silly because here it INCREASES the diameter) to a two inch copper column (and so on).
I believe (and recall others more knowledgeable saying) that the vapour speed simply increases to compensate for the restriction so the small diameter does not restrict operation.
I feel but do not know that a longer narrowing of the vapour path WOULD restrict operation which is probably just what you were saying.
Happy New Year.
Geoff
The Baker
captjack6
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captjack6 »

Thanks for the reply's, I really appreciate them. Still debating but I am thinking Ill go with the smaller lines.

Jack
captjack6
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by captjack6 »

You guys will think I am nuts or at least that I do not know what I am doing (which is true) The more I read the more confused I get. I have read this sight till my eyes were bleeding. I am now thinking of running a 2" line to my second 15.5 gal keg to act as a thumper then out to a 2" column 24 to my condenser. I bought the column before I found this site. I have 2, 15.5 gal kegs that were donated by a friend (he had purchased them years ago to use as gas tanks for his rods). For now I only want to modify the kegs one time and do something that makes sense. My second though was I could use the 1 keg as a steam boiler if I wanted then use the 2 as a pot still with the column to the condenser. Or I don't know I need to go to the eye doctor as I do have an eye infection.