Oak that rum

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

alohashine
Novice

Oak that rum

Post by alohashine »

Tell me if this sounds right. After cuts, I've been putting my rum at 57% abv in 1 quart Mason jars. I add a stick of toasted oak, sometimes two (1"X1"x5") to the jar and let it sit for... how long? I read on here about guys who let their rum sit on oak for 6 months to a year.
I've tasted a few jars that have been on oak for 2 months and they are pretty oaky. Not smooth or mellow yet, just... oaky. Am I being impatient? I just don't wanna over oak my product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cuginosgrizzo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Oak that rum

Post by cuginosgrizzo »

I think you are oaking at a proof that is lower than ideal, and that might extract from the wood undesired flavors. Ideal should be around 65%, some go at 62%, I start above 65% because I expect some drop due to angel share. I oak for at least 9 months, with toasted (not charred) new oak sticks, using just a little less than you (say three sticks per gallon). I found that the 6 months mark is a turning point for my rum.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Too much oak in my opinion, one stick that size in 2 quarts is quite sufficient.
As has already been stated your low on ABV as well....62%-65% would be better......some rum distilleries go even higher.
2 Months is only just the beginning ...try it at 3 and 6 and 12 ...all will be different....stop oaking when you find what YOU like.
cuginosgrizzo wrote: I oak for at least 9 months, with toasted (not charred)
:thumbup: +1
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Did you char them?

It sounds like a lot of oak for such a small jar, but it depends on how big a hurry you are in. It may be as close as you can get to two year old rum in two months :D

I try to judge mine so that the oak never has to be removed as some reactions take a long time and don't happen if the oak is gone.
Once you have a couple of years worth of product aging in the cellar, you only have to replace what you drink every year and you will always have 2yo product.

What I can't tell you is how much to use as my own batches of toast haven't been consistent and I have had to experiment with each one to work out how much is the optimum. Nuking should give you a fair idea of how much to use. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=38991
alohashine
Novice

Post by alohashine »

Thanks all for the good advice. I will oak at 65% from now on, with less sticks. Yes I am using toasted oak sticks (I use the charred on my whiskey). It sounds like less oak, and more time is what is needed. I will work on that, as well as my patience.

alohashine
Novice

Post by alohashine »

NZChris wrote:Did you char them?

It sounds like a lot of oak for such a small jar, but it depends on how big a hurry you are in. It may be as close as you can get to two year old rum in two months :D

I try to judge mine so that the oak never has to be removed as some reactions take a long time and don't happen if the oak is gone.
Once you have a couple of years worth of product aging in the cellar, you only have to replace what you drink every year and you will always have 2yo product.

What I can't tell you is how much to use as my own batches of toast haven't been consistent and I have had to experiment with each one to work out how much is the optimum. Nuking should give you a fair idea of how much to use. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=38991
Thanks nzchris, I have a lot of molasses on hand, so I'm trying to build up the pipeline. Having a 2 year supply on hand would be a dream come true! I keep plugging away with the molasses washes. Do you just oak your rum, or have you tried any spices or flavorings?

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

If there is a spiced rum I like, I haven't found it yet. I am experimenting with making botanical essences with flavors that are found in aged rums, but that is not the same thing as making spiced rum.