First Spirit Run

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Daemientia
Novice

First Spirit Run

Post by Daemientia »

Hey everyone,

I'll be finishing off my stripping run tomorrow and should be ready for the spirit run on Sunday. I just have a couple of Q's that i'd appreciate some input on :)

I'm estimating I'll have about 4.5 gallons to run for the spirit run - I want to keep the hearts only and want to make sure I have enough small jars to separate the heads and tails and find the cut-points. How much of the end result should I expect to be hearts? I currently have a dozen 125ml jars but am thinking this probably isn't enough..

Also, would you recommend adding the heads and tails to the dunder pit? I'll be starting one with these two runs...

Thanks in advance!

D.
pounsfos
Distiller

Re: First Spirit Run

Post by pounsfos »

it really depends on what recipe you are using , what % your still does etc...
grab some 330ml beer bottles, and start collecting, smell after every bottle (have a wee taste if you want but water down).
after your run is done, let them air overnight, then grab a shot glass and some water, and start goinmg through to see what is good and what isnt.
I'd just start a feints jar/bucket, but some people redistill on next run, each to their own, all about experimenting.
Daemientia
Novice

Re: First Spirit Run

Post by Daemientia »

pounsfos wrote:it really depends on what recipe you are using , what % your still does etc...
grab some 330ml beer bottles, and start collecting, smell after every bottle (have a wee taste if you want but water down).
after your run is done, let them air overnight, then grab a shot glass and some water, and start goinmg through to see what is good and what isnt.
I'd just start a feints jar/bucket, but some people redistill on next run, each to their own, all about experimenting.
Thanks for the input! I have a few 1litre bottles I'll be using as well.. Will be starting shortly wish me luck :)