When to reduce

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

StarkBlood1980
Novice

When to reduce

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

Hi
So I'm still in the research phase of the hobby and I've decided to build a simple pot still to get things off the ground.
I found this design http://homedistiller.org/forum/download ... p?id=12153 which looks like it will suit my needs but for the reasons of cost I'm wondering if there would be any drawback from reducing to 28mm directly from the 54mm riser rather than after the 90 bend?

Thanks
Chris
Due51
Swill Maker

Re: When to reduce

Post by Due51 »

I built almost that exact model and I reduced from 2" to 1" before the 90* bend. No issues at all. I also put the union after the 90 but before the 45 in my lyne arm. That allows me to swap out the lyne arm/liebig and install my steam head.
Those who stay...
StarkBlood1980
Novice

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

Due51 wrote:I built almost that exact model and I reduced from 2" to 1" before the 90* bend. No issues at all. I also put the union after the 90 but before the 45 in my lyne arm. That allows me to swap out the lyne arm/liebig and install my steam head.
Thanks for the reply. How did you find that particular design? What spirit did/do you make with it?

Cheers
Due51
Swill Maker

Post by Due51 »

StarkBlood1980 wrote:
Due51 wrote:I built almost that exact model and I reduced from 2" to 1" before the 90* bend. No issues at all. I also put the union after the 90 but before the 45 in my lyne arm. That allows me to swap out the lyne arm/liebig and install my steam head.
Thanks for the reply. How did you find that particular design? What spirit did/do you make with it?

Cheers
A chap from England who made an Instructable that I followed. http://www.instructables.com/id/Buildin ... ll-design/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I make whiskey/bourbon from that pot still. I also have a boka still that I make Neutral (vodka and gin), though I used it to make whiskey from it before I built the pot still.
Those who stay...
StarkBlood1980
Novice

Post by StarkBlood1980 »

Due51 wrote:
StarkBlood1980 wrote:

Cheers
A chap from England who made an Instructable that I followed. http://www.instructables.com/id/Buildin ... ll-design/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I make whiskey/bourbon from that pot still. I also have a boka still that I make Neutral (vodka and gin), though I used it to make whiskey from it before I built the pot still.
That one in the link looks perfect thank you