Leaky Still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Marshall
Novice

Leaky Still

Post by Marshall »

Hey All,

Forgive me if this is a newbie question...

I started out distilling with a cheap, chinese made pot still (I bought the thing off of Amazon and actually learned a whole lot using it). One day I loaded up my wash and noticed it slowly leaking out on the floor, upon inspection there was a hairline crack in the bottom of the pot. I blamed cheap metals used in fabrication. No worries, I was going to upgrade soon anyway, and it prompted me to slap together another still that fits my needs better.

Went to the restaurant supply store and got a 10 gallon Bayou Classic stock pot (stainless steel), salvage the worm and thermometer off of the old still, rock and roll!

This thing worked well, low wines running around 110 proof, and a slow spirit run coming in around 165.

This morning, I noticed the leftovers from my last run leaking on the floor. I usually do a run, then let it sit overnight (sometimes a day longer) to cool off before I dump it. The new pot is leaking from the bottom, but I can't find a crack.

The question is what could be causing the leaks? Two leaking pots, leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong... Has anyone else had this happen?
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Leaky Still

Post by Still Life »

The first one had a crack.
You retrofitted parts onto another pot.
Seemingly leaking again.
I'm betting your overnight cool down condensation has revealed a retrofit leak.

Do a water run and check your fittings for vapor leaks with a mirror.
Marshall
Novice

Post by Marshall »

Thanks for the reply, Still Life.

I probably should have clarified in my explanation, when I retrofitted the old parts, I did a solid leak-down check and continually monitor it when I do my runs. The pot itself seems to have developed a leak. The leak is much more than vapor escaping, about a gallon of the spent wines has leaked onto the floor overnight.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Sorry to hear you are having issues Marshall;

I've had small leaks from stainless stock pots of various sizes, I enjoy reading the reviews on Amazon when shopping (it's a good source for product information, at least for me) I was fortunate enough that any of the leaks I had were in the flake stand (worm bucket) (NOT IN THE VAPOUR/SPIRIT PATH or in the BOILER) and simply putting a piece of tape (I had some clear packaging tape handy, and it was only a couple pin holes)

Since you are using a stock pot for your boiler, what are you using for a lid, and seal?
How big was the puddle, the leak created? I'm slow at posting HAHAH (a gallon is a big leak)

As you heat up your still the heat will cause expansion, as then cooling causes things to retract...Is it possible that it could be from a connection joint or from the lid and seal?

If you are able to find your leak to be in the Bayou Classic pot...You could have it repaired by welding or soldering (lead free solder of course)
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Marshall
Novice

Post by Marshall »

Hey Blackstrap, I'm using the lid that came with the stock pot, then sealed it up with a small viton hose and vise grips. It's solid, I've lost precious liquor to vapor leaks in the past and have learned my lesson well!

The only logical explanation is that the pot itself is compromised. I've got it sitting on the back porch with water in it now to see if I can recreate the leak.

Your point about the expansion/contraction is a good one. Part of the reason I bought the commercial grade pot is so that it would hold up to regular heating/cooling cycles.

I'll report back once I've identified the actual leak.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Do it got handles

So I'm tole
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

Sometimes when thin materials are formed it will create a stress area at the bend on the bottom of the pot. If you lost a gallon over night it should be a visable crack. A simple way to visually test it is to fill it with water and wipe the outside dry and use your propane torch to gently heat the suspected area. It will show steam when you hit the cracked area.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

That's some good info correne.
Need to put that where folks can find it.

Ole boys would put old country wine
in somethin an follow the sticky wine but
ain't never used no big store bought pots except for blanchin for cannin .

So I'm tole
Marshall
Novice

Post by Marshall »

Good info, Corene. The leak is tiny, like microscopic but enough for it to drip out constantly. It looks like it's a stress point on the pot, where it flexes when it's full and sitting on the heating element. Ugh!

I'm going to find a pot that's thick enough that it won't flex when it's got 8 gallons of wash in it. I can solder this one shut, but it probably won't hold up to my abuse for much longer. The Bayou Classic may end up being used for a once annual giant pot of chili.
Prospekt
Novice

Post by Prospekt »

Its really surprising that you had such bad luck. I've never heard of a pot leaking from the pot wall itself before.
Learn from yesterday, live for today.
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

Bayou Classic is a reputable firm and I'm betting they would replace that Pot if you call them.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Appalachia-Shiner wrote:Bayou Classic is a reputable firm and I'm betting they would replace that Pot if you call them.
+1 . They have always been accommodating to me . Contact them directly .
Let us know how they handle the problem . We represent a large market share of their revenue and have some clout .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Beer kegs don't leak
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

A gallon overnight is a sizeable leak. should be a regular drip. I'd put water in it and stand it on a couple sheets of printer paper or similar for 2-3 minutes, then lift the pot and find the leak for your own piece of mind. The wet spot will give you a good clue.

Mark it with permanent marker or similar and send it back. Any reputable supplier will replace it without question.

Very odd that you should have the same problem on two pots when nobody else seems to get them at all.

Do keep us posted :)

[Edit - looking again - have you already found it ? - Take it back and insist they replace it. Hell a stock pot is supposed to be used to heat stuff up in - "Stress points" are no excuse. ]
Marshall
Novice

Post by Marshall »

Yeah, I identified the source of the leak. I can't see it with my eyes, but it accumulates a drop of water about every 10 seconds. I'm going to take it back, maybe they'll replace it for free. If the shop won't do it, I'll call Bayou Classic directly.

You guys are awesome for all of the great feedback. I'll let you know how things pan out.