Steam powered still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bonanaking
Novice

Steam powered still

Post by bonanaking »

I am still fairly new, but am gearing up to start all grain mashing/distilling. I plan on building a steam injection rig for mashing (seems like the way to go) but my question is this, would a steam injection still work well for stripping so I don't scorch my element? Would the steam dilute the mash too much?
RedwoodHillBilly

Re: Steam powered still

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

bonanaking wrote:I am still fairly new, but am gearing up to start all grain mashing/distilling. I plan on building a steam injection rig for mashing (seems like the way to go) but my question is this, would a steam injection still work well for stripping so I don't scorch my element?

Yes, build it as a boiler and a mash tun / fermenter /thumper. Put your clear wash in the boiler and leave the lees (slop) in the thumper. This is steam stripping using wash as the steam fluid. BTW, the boiler only needs to 1/2 the size of the mash tun / fermenter / thumper, although you could make both of them the same size.

Would the steam dilute the mash too much?

Not if you do it the way I suggested. That way you also get the alcohol out of the grains without any of the squeezing hassle.
edited twice for clarification