what im looking for

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dirtyshank
Novice

what im looking for

Post by dirtyshank »

hanks everyone
i already know what type o style o still i want,, i want an 8 gallon milk can, 2 piece dual purpose re flux/pot still column at 2 inch diameter..the longer the column the better... i would like to run it with a 1500 watt element with an amp/temp controller.. the temp gauges dont matter because i can always buy them as long as the holes are where they need to be because my soldering skills are none existent and i would rather buy than build at least at this point in my skills..
i'm a little scared to order from american companies like mile Hi distilling and brewhaus because im not sure how Canadian customs are?
i anyone in Canada has any advice please feel free to message me.
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: what im looking for

Post by Still Life »

You described one of Brewhaus' stills perfectly. Give them a call.
They are very helpful and I'm sure they have an answer.
KeenPin
Novice

Post by KeenPin »

I had a "kettle" shipped to Canada.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Transplanted southern redneck in the north.

Now I just need to get back to "My Island!"
dirtyshank
Novice

Post by dirtyshank »

who did you order it from if you dont mind?
KeenPin
Novice

Post by KeenPin »

Brewhaus is who I got my kettle from and heating element. But I built my own column. You can always place 2 orders so that you are receiving 2 packages at different times to not raise any potential flags. Most home brew shops in my area are selling distilling equipment.

Check with http://brokenoardistillingequipment.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow as well, located in canada.

I haven't ordered anything from them, but its an option.

The goberment has other things to worry about then you making a little drinking supplies. Just be discrete and take everything apart when not in use. I built a wooden box to store my condenser in and another box for my column.
Transplanted southern redneck in the north.

Now I just need to get back to "My Island!"
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

The 8 gallon milk can boilers are nice. I use one with a controller and 1650 watt 110V element. Works well for me. About an hour and ten to reach boil on a 6 gallon charge, a little faster on a spirit run. Easy to use, easy to clean, nice and sturdy.

One thing to add. Many vendors sell the all in one package pot still including a stainless liebig condensor. I don't recommend that option. The stainless condensor is only about 18" in length on most of them, and in order to fully knock down your vapor on a stripping run, you have to use overly cold water, and can't really run wide open. Take the extra time to build or buy a longer copper condensor. I recently finished a 32" 3/4" over 1/2" and a triclamp adapter from 2", and it lets me strip at full speed, producing cool product, with minimal water flow.

Best of luck with your border crossing.
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Welcome :wave:

If you go for a modular design you can buy the pieces separately. Some pieces, spools and tees, I bought from chinese vendors on ebay, some pieces including condenser and sight glass kit I bought from SD. Chech out the pics from my .signature for my 2" modular still system
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Post by CatCrap »

I agree with what Bilgriss said. The condenser that comes with the brewhaus set up isn't enough. I have a 2" brewhaus ee psii, and i like everything about it except the condenser. I would have been better off getting the kettle and column seperately. But, if your going 8 gallon kettle, i'd assume you will be using 120V, one element or two if you have enough condenser. I bought this controller and it works out well. If you look at similar items on amazon, the same controller will pop up pretty often for even cheaper. I think i paid 6$ for mine. Pretty much just plug it in and your set, very easy for those like me that are not electrically inclined.
https://www.amazon.com/TruePower-123-Va ... 9DWNQMBHQ9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow