15 gal thumper build

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Shine0n
Distiller

15 gal thumper build

Post by Shine0n »

I'm building a piping system for a new 15 gal thumper per BBB and now a few others threads.
I finally had some time and got my crossover pipes and unions soldered up today.
Any pics I load will have shitty resolution but I'll do it anyway.
I'm waiting on frguson plumbing to get my 2"×1"×1" tee so I can build the down pipe into the thumper.

I'll build the 1"over 3/4" liebig in the coming weeks when I have time, as if that ever happens now but... I'll getter doe soon as I'm ready to run something NOW. Lol

I'm going to cut my current riser that's 2" reduced to 1" anyway so all I'll have to do is attach my 1" union and be ready to go on that end.

I'll post as things progress,
Shine0n
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: 15 gal thumper build

Post by Shine0n »

2017-05-07 18.12.08.jpg
q
Quality of the pics once resized isn't great at all but I'll work on them.

I was looking at the 3/4 pipe in the 1" and there isn't very much room for anything at all :( I mean, I couldn't put a 14 Guage wire in around the 3/4", just isn't enough room.
So I may go with the 3/4-1/2" route and make it 36" LG
I'm off to out of town work till Thursday so I'll resume then, I hope to have my tee by then.

But hey, this is progress for my busy self soo.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Well I finally got my 2×1×1 tee! Woo whoo!!
Now I'll get somewhere with this so I can get back to fermenting.
I also got the 3/4×1/2×1/2 tee for my liebig and just need to go got some 3/4 and 1/2 copper tubing in the morning
and get rolling.
I will be able to get all this soldered up in short order and hope for no leaks. I have some vinegar for one of my cleaning runs and will run water for the 2nd or 3rd depending on how much gunk and stuff I get from the first. I have some sugar to make a simple wash for my sac run and try out this new toy.
I think I'll love having a 15 gal thumper and everything will be modular so I can run no thumper, 1 or 2 and I also have enough 2" to build another head of sorts if I choose.

I'll post pics as they happen in the am during the construction.
I'll be back online soon enough with a pile of HBB to run :thumbup:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

2017-05-12 19.51.50.jpg
2017-05-12 19.47.27.jpg
This is what I gotten soldered up today, I still need to get my 1/2 and 3/4 for the liebig.
I'll do the cleaning runs and sac run, I'll connect it to my worm for the time being.
Once I have the materials I'll make the liebig and use my 7.75 gal boiler to clean it.
I'll make a sugar wash tomorrow, so by next week I'll have a functioning 15 gal thumper. Yahoo! !!
Lko67
Novice

Post by Lko67 »

I have another keg gonna do the same thing once I get used to running my still
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Lookin good . I think you're gonna like this . :thumbup:
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

TB, I know I'll like this one!
Plus I have a 7.75 gal keg I can do an all feints run and I can build another section and do a double thumper.

What are your thoughts on clear beer in the boiler, muck in thumper and low wines in the 2nd thumper?
Just a thought, nothing set in stone!

I did this one with unions and now I'm thinking I should've used ferrules and triclamp, I've never used unions and from working in the shipyard for all those years and having to go and tighten unions up all the time I'm almost second guessing my decision but hey, I'll figure it out today with my vinegar/water run.

They make these soft copper shims to put in jic fittings on hydraulic fittings and they make a very leaky seal stop instantly, they're really soft and form to any imperfections in a bad seal. They're reusable and cheap, I'll find a pic on the net and post them so that anyone needing something like it they'll know what to get.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I run clear in the boiler and muck in the thumper .
Unions have never given me problems .
I'm not sold on a second thumper . Just a personal thing .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Well I couldn't copy an image and post but these things are the goods!
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

Looks great buddy!!!
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I may not either, just thoughts aloud is all.

I actually got the 7.75 gal for small fruit batches or an feints run.

My wife got called into work today so I won't be able to run this thing until she gets home, my still is at my other house and I'm here with the 3 year old in the middle of the storms were having. Poor little fella is going ape shit wanting to go outside but there's a lot lightning so that's a no go!

TB, That makes me feel better about the unions and now I can stop worrying! I did get some solder that ran a bit and got on the female side in the cup, by the time I noticed it it was too late.
I have a lapping compound I'll work and see if I can get a proper seat with them.

Hopefully I can get my cleaning run done today, I don't want that Flux sitting no longer than necessary.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks still, things are coming together! Now if time permits (doesn't look promising) I'll get some time behind her and learn how to drive it.

I do have another burner I'll put under the thumper and prewarm this thing to cut down on heat up time. I also have a heat shield to make sure I don't scorch my grains when doing so.

Looking forward to this, 24 gal of mash at one time!!! That's 9 gals more than my previous setup! That should make a good difference in my yield :thumbup:
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

ShineOn - well done and best of luck with the new rig. Jim
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks jim, I've enjoyed going through some of this stuff with you, talking, exchanging trials and tribulations!!! You've been a true inspiration and big help with all this. From talking about never doing AG and now look at us... Makin top notch shit!!!

ThNx for HD, all the members and knowledge here :thumbup:

I'm fkd up and out!!!!!!!!!!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

:thumbup: And you did it to yourself with shit you made yourself . Both fabrication and distillation ............... Don't get no better than that . :clap:
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

2017-05-28 15.18.23.jpg
Don't mind the other mess but it's finished and water and vinegar run and the sac run done. I ended up attaching the worm because the liebig isn't finished but I'll break in the 7.75 gal keg since it needs cleaning anyways.

I'm stoked to have it set up and ran with no leaks!!!!

I keep looking at my worm barrel and got me thinking about making a top for it with foam insulation under it
and sitting the thumper on top. That would make less stress on the recerk pump and would also let me use it without moving it. Maybe, maybe not :crazy:

I don't have any experience with pumps and such so anyone that can point me in the right direction on a fairly cheap one that's not total shit, would ya please?

I know I can do my own research and will but if someone gives a hand (just point) I'll do my part as I've done. Lol

I only wish I had one full day to get shit done and it would be done, I'm glad I've gotten to this point and look forward to running this beotch!!!
Shine0n
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Finally got the Betty running today, been a long time coming too!!! Doing a rum run and sitting here with a rag, paste and a 15" adjustable wrench just in case of leaks.

I like this design but I think I'm going to make an all 2" version with ferrules and triclamp connection with a shotgun condenser. This is making life easier and thanks BBB for the idea and others who I have read and learned from their posts.
nuntius01
Rumrunner

Post by nuntius01 »

nice looking rig
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks alot, it was easy to build and not too pricey.

after 2 days of running it I'm a little more into it, I mentioned building an all 2" and I still plan on doing so but my fondness for this has grown greatly. Not sure of the benefits of the all 2" will be but I just want one. lol

thanks again,
Shine0n
ezlle71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ezlle71 »

I built my thump rig with unions too. I used flour paste a few times to get them to seal. Then i took somebodies advice here and just give them a wrap or two of plumbers teflon tape. Super cheap and easy. Peace of mind too. I will agree with you, if i had it to do over i would have sprang for triclamp ferrules instead of unions. Hope you enjoy your rig. I have been happy with mine.
ez
Don't let your meat loaf.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Last run I was disassembling the union on my riser and broke the ferrule free at the keg (Shitty soldering job)

I took and cut off 2" and brought it to my mechanic shop where I used the spreader to open it enough to have a nice tight tap fit. I took a dead blow and knocked it in, very very tight fit, I then put 2 lbs of pressure and held for 5 minutes, no leaks!!!

Today I'm doing a rum and damn if the thing didn't start to leak... Bummer!

Just from years past I make some flour dough J.I.C and it did soon as it started to puke up the column. I cut the power and took it apart and added a healthy dose of paste, reconnected it and got underway. It's holding but now I have to solder or braze this thing to hold steady.

I guess I need some acid to clean and etch the ss ferrule so it will bond properly.

It happens sometimes and usually at the wrong times.

Shine0n
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I had similar ss/copper problems . Ordered a copper ferrule and that problem went away .
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Nice rig, ShineOn.

When I did mine the copper pipe slid over the ferrule and I used a 2" muffler clamp to tighten it up before soldering.
Then I used the Harris liquid flux and silver solder and it seemed to work fine.

I've read that you can go back over it with regular lower temp solder to fill any voids after ther silver solder is done.

These days the copper ferrules are available and fairly cheap, that's what I'd do if I did it today.

Good luck, get that thing reliable and you will love it.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

MichiganCornhusker wrote: I used the Harris liquid flux and silver solder and it seemed to work fine.
I highly recommend Harris Stay-Clean flux, it's acidic and does a great job at cleaning (after a good clean with acetone). It is mainly Zinc Chloride, Ammonium Chloride and Hydrochloric Acid. It works well with Stay-Brite 8 (94% Sn 6% Ag) for SS to SS and SS to Cu.
Klein
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Klein »

I also use the Harris stay clean. I don't even use silver solder.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Thanks fellas, I was just looking on amazon and the copper ferrules are alot cheaper than they used to be so I may go that route.
my riser seems a bit tall anyway and I have enough 2" to make another 2" all the way so it seems like another build is in the works for me plus I'm itching to burn up some shit anyway.

The paste did it's job but I'm over it!!!

Thanks for the compliment MCH, Very much appreciated