Elec element for beer keg still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

alohashine
Novice

Elec element for beer keg still

Post by alohashine »

I have been using a single 1500 watt electric heating element on my old 6 gal copper pot still for years now. I designed a control box out of an old metal case complete with voltage meter, outlets and fan. Works great, I can run full bore for stripping, or dial it back for spirit runs.

Designing a 15 gal beer keg pot still build (with thumper) now. Looks like this one: https://www.olympicdistillers.com/moons ... parts-only" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow The problem I have is I cannot use 240v/4500w elements, as I don't have a plug that big anywhere. (SWMBO insists I brew outside).
Can I just use two 1500w elements and plug them into different outlets? Is two 1500w elements enough for 11 gal washes? What would you suggest? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Elec element for beer keg still

Post by NZChris »

That's what I've been doing for decades. It's best if the two outlets aren't on the same circuit.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'd use 240v - 5500w electric elements.
Two of them would pull 2750w on 120v
Plus, your still will be ready for 240v in the future
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

shadylane wrote:I'd use 240v - 5500w electric elements.
Two of them would pull 2750w on 120v
Plus, your still will be ready for 240v in the future
+1

I have a brewhaus 15 gal kettle setup that way. They are wired for my standard 240 wiring (l14-30) and I made adapters to be able to run them on 120. That way if my 240 is in use doing something else, I can still run. I also have the option of running one on 240 and one on 120 for fast heatup.