My Plans for a column to strip quick and hard

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

CatCrap
Swill Maker

My Plans for a column to strip quick and hard

Post by CatCrap »

Hey, Folks, so i'm very new to the distilling game, loving every minute, well almost every minute of it. As i said in my intro thread, there sure is an awful lot of washing things in this hobby. I like to keep all my gear nice and clean though, so i've accepted it's just part of the process. Due to my housing situation I don't have a ton of space, so everything gets broken down and put away between runs. Thats ok. However, it is such a fun hobby, and teaching me so much. I never imagined i'd get to do some of these things. Down the road a couple years i'll be so excited to try my product that has aged a while. So, on to my post..

So, after a grueling 6 week wait, my Brewhaus PS2 2" came. The kettle had a massive dent and the Internal element was not included. I was very unhappy. So, BH modified and shipped a new kettle out that very day, and 2nd day air mailed it, so i had it in two days. They did goof up on forgetting the element the first time, and UPS probably dented the kettle, but they get a 10 out of 10 for how they handled the situation. Unfortunately they also sent the wrong thermometer. Kinda bogus as i paid 70I was very glad i went with BH for my purchase, as it was hella expensive, but they handled that mistake so well. So, i have the dual purpose (Pot still or CM Reflux with 3 through-tubes) 8 gallon premium kettle, thermometer upgrade (TC ferrule at the top for the 1/2" NPT thread instead of the stock rubber bung setup he sells) upgraded Liebig from 12 to 24", using the "Still heater" from BH as well, which is a 1500W Cartridge heater. I got a controller for a great deal on Amazon, i think it was 6 bucks. I can post a link if anyone is interested. It's the exact same controller that Rick sells, or used to sell, he said he discontinued it because it gets super hot and a customer had a safety issue with it so he doesn't sell it anymore. On BH i think it was $30. Anyways, it's a RSC/Fan speed controller. It's the one that Prariepiss posted his thread about where he adds a heat sink to the back of it. I'd like to do that, i'm just not exactly sure how to. I drilled some holes into the plastic housing of the controller to get some airflow through the internals, which seems to help a bit with the heat, but when in Variable mode the back plate, which is metal and i guess sort of is the Heatsink, gets pretty damn hot. So, I'm really glad i went with the 24" Liebig because at max wattage (1500W) it slightly overpowers the condenser and i get a tiny bit of vapor escaping. Anyone have any suggestions for improving condenser efficiency? Colder water? I could do the frozen 2L jugs, but i have very little freezer space. So, with the 12" Liebig that comes standard it wouldn't stand a chance, and i've have to run really slow. I really think Rick ought to make the Liebig bigger standard issue, as 12" Liebig doesn't knock down anything. So, in my quest to run and strip as quick as possible, I'd like to make the condenser as efficient as i can. I stuffed a small piece of SS scrubber up into the vapor tube of the Liebig and pushed it all the way up to the entrance from the column. I think it helps a little bit, but not a huge difference. I Could put more scrubber in there, either filling up the tube with scrubber or just another piece near the vapor exit, if someone has any advice on this I'd love to hear it. The only issue i'm worried about, is that i have no idea how i'm going to get that scrubber out of the tube. I figure at some point i'm going to want to get it out to clean it. Unfortunately the way Rick builds them, the Column and Liebig are welded together. It would be great if the condenser had a triclamp connection to the column so it could be cleaned, stored more easily, and you could swap in a different condenser. But, there's not much i can do about that. I thought perhaps i could use a coat hanger, and make a tiny hook on it, and try to jam it all the way up there and fish it out, but that could be really tricky. My only other thought was i could try compressed air, like blow the scrubby down to the vapor exit so i can get at it. Again, any suggestions?

So I had Rick install 2 couplings on my kettle, the lower is a 1"NPT coupling, which could be used at a drain, but i'm using it for my element. It's super convenient, all i have to do is screw in the element and gasket, plug it into the controller and away we go. The other coupling is located at a 90 degree turn from the first, and 2 inches higher,it's a 2" Triclamp ferrule. Currently i have an end cap and gasket on it. There really is no point in putting another element in it yet. But, that's part of my plan for the stripping mods i want to do.

I'll have some questions at the end and truly do appreciate critique or advice of any kind. In order to do some nice fast strips my plan is this.. So, i'm thinking I'll get a shotgun condenser, prebuilt, either from Stilldragon, Vision Stills, or Affordable distillery equipment. Here's the links to the 3 shotguns.. all in 2"
https://shop.distillery-equipment.com/c ... ill-column" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/stainl ... embly.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
http://visionstills.com/product/2-product-shotgun-long/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I think vision stills is the least expensive, and i think he does good work, but i've never bought anything from him or know of anyone who has. Also Stilldragon looks super nice, i know Larry is a stand up guy, and I like the way the Stilldragon one has the connections for cooling hoses. I don't fully understand how the SD shotgun connects to the cooling input/output though. As far as i can understand, it has 3/4" TC ferrules, and you choose a size of NPT thread/TC adapter to put on there, so that gives you a male or female thread. So, for those threads do i want to put a barb on there? Or could i get one of those push connect hose ports? The push connect hosing and connections sound really sturdy and convenient. I'm curious what style of hosing connections other folks use? I know SD and vision has push connect accessories and even a needle valve, which will be useful once i'm ready to do some reflux runs. Anywho.. so the Kettle will have the lid, which has the 2" TC ferrule, to which i will either attach the Column extension i already have, which is i believe a 30" long 2" wide TC Spool, and on the top of that i'm thinking either i will do a 90 degree bend, then a 45 degree bend, then the shotgun. Or i could do a 180 degree bend and the shotgun. Or i could skip the 30" Spool i have, and have the 180 or 90+45 come right of the lid of the kettle. So.. my questions..

- If i do the 180 degree bend, i would have to elevate the kettle, because i think the shotgun's output would be at or below the bottom of the kettle. It would also make the condenser vertical. Is there any benefit or drawback to having a vertical condenser? With the 180, i'd only need two TCs, where as the 90 and 45 would require 3 TCs and gaskets. The 90 and 45 would give the condenser a nice gradual slope downward.

- So, after the shotgun, at the output side, what sort of connection do i want to use? I'm assuming i probably want a 2"TC to 3/4" reducer of some sort, or 2" to something smaller? Not really sure. Also, would i want to us an end cap reducer, or a Concentric reducer? Here's a link to a SD reducer..
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/2-x-3- ... ducer.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
After the reducer, what kind of connection do i want? Like.. basically, what is a good piece to use for the final product output? I could for sure use some opinions on this.

-Is it better to do the 30" 2" TC spool off the lid, then the bends and shotgun? Or better to have the bends come right out of the lid? With the column, it would give me a place to put a bit of packing. I run with one plug of packing when doing strips and spirit runs right now. Not enough to get much reflux, just to get some copper in the vapor path.

-So, i'll plan to use 2 elements to strip. One will be 1500W with controller, and the other will probably be either 1500, 1650, or 2000W. I'll have to plug them into separate circuits. So, with a total of 3000W, will a 2" roughly 22" Shotgun be enough cooling power to knock all that vapor down? My other option is to get a 3 or 4" shotgun, but then i either need to do everything, including a new lid from BH, in 3", the bends etc, or i'd need to reduce from the shotgun to the bends. This would involve getting 3" TC and gaskets, which while not a big deal, it is nice that i only have 2" TCs and Gaskets for everything.

-Would a 3" column/bends be a better option? From my basic understanding, a larger column would slow the vapor speed, so that it would require less cooling power/energy to condense? Is that a accurate assessment? My concern is that 2" isn't right for stripping at 3000 watts.

- Does anyone use a similar setup? Does anyone have any opinions in favor of or against Vision Stills, Stilldragon, or Affordable distillery equipment?

So, to summarize my plan for a stripping setup.... 8 Gallon SS kettle, with 2 1500 W 120V elements, Lid with 2" TC connection to either a 30" TC spool, or not, then to a 90 degree and 45 degree bend, both 2" TC connected, or a 180 degree 2" bend, then to a 2" roughly 22" long Shotgun condenser, with a 2" TC reducing to 3/4" output. Or sub 3" everything.

I truly appreciate your time, and thank you for reading my post. I look forward very much to hearing your advice, and I know i will get some great feedback. I love HD, this site has been an indesribable resource for me in learning the art of distillation. I read on AD and MD, and tried to join both, but after registering I never got an email from Pint or the Doc inviting me to join and start posting. Has anyone else joined the other forums, or had a similar issue? Perhaps those forums are just too exclusive for me, and don't want a noob to join and dumb down the discussion. It's a shame, because there is some good reading over there. :cry:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: My Plans for a column to strip quick and hard

Post by still_stirrin »

Whew.....loooooooong post.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Post by CatCrap »

heh.. uh... sorry? I like to be thorough and get a bit carried away. Like everyone here i'm very inquisitive and hungry for knowledge.. starving.. famished.. This hobby has captured my attention, and i've dived (dove) in. It's so much to learn, understand and experiment with. Also, often times you wont know if your results are good or need work until a long time has passed. Making it even more challenging and fun. To become a master distiller is an incredible journey I'm sure. So.. Thanks for reading!
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

A packed column is unnecessary for stripping, pot mode works just fine. Definitely go 3" if you can afford to. Have a look at DAD300's CCVM design. It's simple, modular, easy to run, and relatively inexpensive. I have been very happy with my all stainless TC version in 3 inch with 30" inches of marble packing. I just pop off the column and swap the open top for a cap to do pot spirit runs or stripping runs. Couldn't be easier.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

wow, a lot to take in for sure, needed a break halfway through.

I get it though, it's like the beginning of a new loveaffair, all excited and cant stop thinking about it.

Now it would help a lot if i could see a pic of the gear you currently have.

One thing though, don't stuff any more scrubber in the pc, I have overstuffed my pc once and needed new undergarments when all gaskets started to leak simultaneously.

never got anything from affordable distillery but the other two suppliers are fine, go with whatever suits your needs/funds best.

post pc fitting is individual, what ever suits you best, no right or wrong ( bar plastics and such)

now get a few pics up so we can see what you're working with
Don't be a dick
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Swedish Pride wrote: I get it though, it's like the beginning of a new loveaffair, all excited and cant stop thinking about it.
Careful SP, the Mrs may take that wrong and cut it off and feed it to the dog with some mash.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

she may as well, when ever i get to use it the house get more crowded :lol:
Don't be a dick
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Post by CatCrap »

I'll post some pics shortly. Have to take some that don't show my messy kitchen. As for not stuffing too much scribble in the pc... yes, I will absolutely avoid clogging it up and turning my still into an IED. Last night I ran the first wash I made, it was basically a 5% ujsm. I took the ball valve off the coolant output and just put on a hose. I was able to run at full power with no vapor escape. So either the valve was restricting flow a bit (it was on full open) or the 5% wash was easier to knock down.

As for this hobby being like falling for a lady, well, you pretty much hit it on the head. I think my SOH gets a little jealous at times. She has a better shape than my kettle though! :ewink:
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

CatCrap wrote: She has a better shape than my kettle though! :ewink:
Must be nice :P
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Post by CatCrap »

Ok, so, FINALLY, i was hopefully able to upload a photo. At first it said it was too big, and 2MB was the limit. Then it said 500Kb was the limit.. ok.. resized.. then it was too many pixels wide and tall.. uh.. ok.. jeez.. well hopefully this is finally the right shape and size. It's really not that much to look at.. but that's her. BH EE PSII 2" with a 32G Trashcan reservoir.
Attachments
Still picture
Still picture
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Post by CatCrap »

Swedish Pride wrote:
never got anything from affordable distillery but the other two suppliers are fine, go with whatever suits your needs/funds best.

post pc fitting is individual, what ever suits you best, no right or wrong ( bar plastics and such)

Ok,. so i'll probably go with Vision stills for most of the components. They don't have everything in stock, so i may need to go with SD for a couple things. The SD shotgun looks really nice, but it's quite pricy, and it has the 3/4" TC connections for the cooling input/output. THat is nice, in that it's modular, but it's another thing to setup and break down and more pieces to buy. So, i'm not sure what the connections are on the Vision Shotgun, but hopefully it will be 1/2" FNPT, and then i can get some 1/2" Push connect fittings, and do the plumbing that way. I'd get all those parts from vision too. The red and blue hose looks cool, but it's hard to get a feel for what the material theyre made out of is. Are they sturdy or flimsy?

I'm doing a strip on a 4th Gen UJSM as we speak, and with two slight modifications it seems my cooling can handle the full 1500Watts. I removed the plastic ball valve from the output, as i never closed it anyway, and i pushed the one plug of copper mesh up in the column, as high as it would go, to up near the through tubes. I think that where i had it, at the bottom of the column, by the lid, wasn't doing any good. Masonsjax, I don't have a fully packed column, i just have one plug of copper mesh in it to add some copper in the vapor path for sulfide removal. I don't think it's creating any significant reflux, but cleaning up the vapor a tad i hope.

So, i do agree that 3" is better, but it is an added expense, so i'll have to decide on that later. Anyone have any comments on whether it's better to have an angled condenser (using the 90 and 45) or a vertical condenser (using a 180 bend)?

Also, better to go straight into the bends off the lid, or use the 2" 30" column i have?
If my 24" liebig can handle 1500W, surely this badass shotgun will be able to handle 3000.. i hope..
Once this last strip is done, i'll finally get to my first true spirit run. I did a 1.5X on some Cornflake, and it turned out nice. Got it all sitting on various charred/toasted oak now.
The spirit run will be 5 gal of low wines, which i'm not sure the total abv of. I'll check it once i combine them all, and dilute with water or backset to 40 or 30. SO the total charge will likely be closer to 6 gallons, which is probably max on my 8 gallon kettle. I know 40 will give higher abv, but 30 would clean it up better, and give more flavor. If i'm shooting for 65% for hearts, which is ideal for oak aging, it probably makes more sense to dilute down to 30%
Thanks for the input folks, much appreciated.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

CatCrap wrote:... it probably makes more sense to dilute down to 30%
It probably make more sense to run down to 30% and capture the extra flavor.
CatCrap
Swill Maker

Post by CatCrap »

You mean like i should have run my strips down so they have a final abv (after the run) of 30? So i wouldnt need to dilute at all.. That is a good point. I at this time have a collection of smaller jars, a dozen pints or so, few dozen quarts and 2-3 gallon jugs. SO for receiving low wines i use several jars. I'll need to get something a little bigger like a glass carboy to hold the low wines as i'm running so i know when to cut the power because the total abv is 30.

I've been meaning to get a carboy or two, it's just that quart jars are a buck or less at goodwill, and a glass carboy is like $35. So, i've been putting it off, even though that's not really much to spend in the big picture.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I used to empty the jug into a large container and measure the abv of that, but then I picked up a large straight sided glass container at a goodwill shop that sits under the spout with the hydrometer floating in it.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

NZChris wrote:
CatCrap wrote:... it probably makes more sense to dilute down to 30%
It probably make more sense to run down to 30% and capture the extra flavor.
+1
this is what i do when running a pot, usually means your cuts is at a good oaking abv, no need to dilute there either :thumbup:
Don't be a dick
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

it this the still you have, with bigger PC?
the pic you posted was hard to view properly

If that's the the one your best bet is to not use the top bit at all, add a ubend and a shotty to it for the strip runs, I'm sure it's fine for a spirit run as you'll run slower.

take off height is determined of what suits you best, i would think one section and then the shotty would work well for you by the looks of your work area.
Don't be a dick