Ideas and input for new pot and thumper build.

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Case45
Novice

Ideas and input for new pot and thumper build.

Post by Case45 »

So like I said in my hello thread Im gonna be starting a new build soonish and figured I aught to post up some of my ideas for yalls input. While its not my first build its gonna be the largest volume wise that I've done to date.

Anyway. Like I said. I have access to a variety of sizes of stainless steel barrels. I could go as 55 gal. Well technically I could go with a tote that holds 360 gallons. But I reckon thats a little excessive and more than I want to fork over. So yeah anyway. Based on my needs I'm looking at a 35 gallon open top drum. The issue I'm running into and its a small problem is the smaller sizes drums we have are 10, 15, or 25 gallons. Like I said its a small problem. In the past Ive ran my thumpers at half thr volume of the boiler and I dont reckon itll be a major issue if im 5 gallons light or heavy of that.

oh yeah. Forgive my rambling in this post. It was a long long day at work.

Anyway. Which direction would yall go for the thumper? Lighter or heavier?

Also. All the drums have both a 2" and 1" threaded bungs on the lids. On the boiler Im planning on welding a flange to the 2" hole and running my copper pipe from there with a brass popoff on the 1". Because of work I also have access to foodsafe (no rubber or plastic) brass popoffs.

Here's where I'm not exactly sure how I should go. Should I neck down into the 1" on the thumper or keep it the same diameter and run out of the 1" to the worm?

Well. That's about all my exhausted brain can come up with right now. Im sure Ill come up with more after a little sleep.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Ideas and input for new pot and thumper build.

Post by Pikey »

Hi and welcome, Just one quick point before you get too far - The "guvvernors" of the site have set a rule that they consider 30 gallons (US) to be the maximum still size that "hobbyists" can reasonably use. So I'd go with the 25 gallon pot if you want to talk about it on here. :)
Case45
Novice

Post by Case45 »

Ok fair enough. I am a hobbyist. And wont be selling any. But yeah. Same issues would arrise from the 25 gal burner.
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

I ain't never made no likker An ain't gonna in the future.

Think I'd get me a hi pressure regulater red an make a pipe burner. Use a drill or hack saw.
Make sure you got a quick cut off up near the tank an not near the burner just in case.

So I'm tole
Case45
Novice

Post by Case45 »

I dont make likker either.

Im assuming that you're talking bout the regulator for fuel. Im planning on using an electric heating element because of my location. Running on gas isnt really an option. Well I guess I could if I set it up on my buddy's land. But getting a fuel license is easier for me.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Tole y'all I was gonna try to be nicer .
This here is one I'm shying away from .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Case45
Novice

Post by Case45 »

I got broad shoulders man. If there's something you got to say that I can learn from then say it.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

You could always go for 25 and 15, not sure if that counts into the whole 30 gal rule or not but from what I've read it states 30 gal boiler and doesn't mention thumper in junction with. (I could be wrong)
If I had access to them I'd go 15 and 15 just to keep my hobby out of scrutiny and could keep on topic more.

I have a hard enough time filling 2 15 gal and having time to run.
How big of a worm would you be using? If I had a 25 gal boiler with a 15 gal thumper I wouldn't go less than a 1" worm. Maybe-MAYBE 3/4

On the other note, 2" all the way in the thumper.
2" out reduced to 1" at the worm is what I'd do.

Shine0n
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Case45 wrote:I dont make likker either...getting a fuel license is easier for me.
So, if you're getting a fuel license, why would you be using a thumper? For fuel, you'd want the highest proof you can get so I'd expect a reflux still instead. If I was the inspector and I saw a barrel still with a thumper, I would monitor your production very, very closely.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

True that.