Breaking in a new pot still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TDick
Distiller

Breaking in a new pot still

Post by TDick »

Okay, I'm new and let's assume I know NOTHING! :mrgreen:

Let's assume I have a new copper pot still with thumper and I assume I need to break it in somehow.

I'm certain one should run a "batch" of water through it. I also read something about sacrificing a run.

Before I ASSuME too much, any hints, help or suggestions on steps to take, what to use (tap water okay for this?) and what to be looking for?

Also, should I wait to to this until I have a "real" run to distill?

As always,
THANKS!
TDick
Distiller

Re: Breaking in a new pot still

Post by TDick »

I PROMISE I looked through the Forum. A lot. I really did!

However, I just went back one additional step (actually a couple of steps) to Yoda himself aka Tony at homedistiller.org

There a little digging found this:
http://homedistiller.org/equip/first_run" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

So following John's lead, I think I'll ferment some apple or other fruit juice and follow his procedure.
:mrgreen:
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Bamaberry wrote:Okay, I'm new and let's assume I know NOTHING!...Before I ASSuME too much, any hints, help or suggestions on steps to take, what to use (tap water okay for this?) and what to be looking for?
OK.

There is a hotlink in my signature that has all the answers to your questions. Click it and spend some time reading. Follow the attached links there too and read what they say. You'll learn a lot about this hobby and help get ready to "jump in".

Be safe, responsible, and discrete.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Take your time with the Spoonfeeding thread, reading it several times. It will sink in.

I'm glad you thought to ask the right questions before starting.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Vinegar/water- water- then a simple sugar wash or store bought spirit run and then your still will be ready for a real run of whatever you choose to make.

It won't hurt to hand clean after all this to make sure all has been cleaned out. And DO NOT WORRY ABOUT discoloration inside the still unless it's completely nasty. Then a simple cleaning is in order.

Shine0n