What Size Drill bit?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antler24
Trainee

What Size Drill bit?

Post by Antler24 »

Been super busy lately but finally getting a few hrs to work on the still upgrades, adding a thumper. Can someone tell me the OD of 1/2" type m, or the size drill bit I should use for a snug fit? I've got a piece of 1/8" copper plate, and some 1/3" tubing, trying to make my own ferrule for the inlet/outlet for thumper.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Re: What Size Drill bit?

Post by OtisT »

The OD of 1/2" type M is 5/8". I use a 5/8" bit in a press with oil for a snug fit. If you are using a hand rig, be sure to keep it held solid and steady to keep things snug.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Thanks for the tip! I'm using a cordless drill, so maybe I'll get a 7/16" drill bit and see what happens
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

7/16 seems a bit small just pre tap the spot your drilling and hold the pipe in a vise.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Agree with bushman, Use the correct size bit. Just use a center punch to set your spot, hold in a vice, and hold the drill motor steady. It should be tight with the 5/8, and solder will fill any minor gaps.

If you drill a 7/16 hole you'll just make a messsy out-of-round hole when you then try to drill a second, slightly bigger hole, that is the correct size. (Experience speaking ;-)
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Step bit and stop just shy of going through with the step you need. Then flare the burr out to get tight fit.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

jedneck wrote:Step bit and stop just shy of going through with the step you need. Then flare the burr out to get tight fit.
+1. Excellent advice.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

still_stirrin wrote:
jedneck wrote:Step bit and stop just shy of going through with the step you need. Then flare the burr out to get tight fit.
+1. Excellent advice.
+1 a 2 flute drill bit will not make a round hole in thin material even with a drill press,

that's why I use reamers.
be water my friend
APD
Novice

Post by APD »

Appropriately sized stepper-drill ?
They always make nice round holes unlike the 2-flutes drill-bits that can end up making trefoil shaped holes in thin material.

Also, other thing that can help is to flare out/in an undersized hole a little and open it up ever so slightly with a drift or flaring tool to get a tolerance fit. (Makes for good soldered joints).
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

This! Worked like a charm and held the tubes in place snugly for test fitting and soldering. All charged up for a vinegar run/leak test tomorrow!
Swedish Pride wrote:
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =2&t=21258 just another solution for joining small tube to large.

thanks to Zapata for finding this link.
be water my friend
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

+1 and if you drill the hole too big, A copper hole can be made smaller with hammer.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Learning to be a tinsmith is another interesting aspect of this hobby . DIY distilling opens a craftsman to so many levels of skills in several venues .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .