What are you thoughts on this kit?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

newfie
Novice

What are you thoughts on this kit?

Post by newfie »

Hi all,

I have a 57L keg and was thinking about purchasing this kit on eBay. What are you thoughts on it? Keep in mind I have very limited budget and I live in Canada so getting lines here (especially larger than 1") is hard.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-Copper-Pipe-An ... 1438.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I know the thermostat is not needed. :-)
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What are you thoughts on this kit?

Post by DBCFlash »

Looks reasonable to me
Some men you jest cain't reach...
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

What part of the rock are you on that there is no plumbing wholesaler? I'm assuming by lines, you mean copper? if budget is tight, you should be able to source all of that stuff local for under a 100...so i guess a buck fifty to your door is a pretty good deal.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
newfie
Novice

Post by newfie »

HDNB,

I'm actually in ON right now, heading to NB in a couple months, and hopefully back to the rock again in the fall. I'd be happy to be able to get what I need either in ON or NB. What wholesallers should I be looking into? I've tried all the home building places (like Home Hardware, etc) and none have copper larger than 1". I wrote a dozen plumbers in NB and only a couple replied and none had any that I could have or even buy.

Thanks
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Looks like a fair price to me - Honeywell thermometer, so not all cheap crap.

- I'd like to see that Leibig longer.

- You don't have to have 2" - if you can connect to your pot 1" would do,, especially since it drops to 1/2 " at the top anyway.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I'm with pikey ... liebig looks a bit small for what you can do with a keg boiler .
I say get it ... run it , see where the limitation is and then make youself a bigger liebig when you can aford it using your local small size pipe . A 3/4" over 1/2" liebig around 3-4 foot isa good size for a keg .

You might find that if you only have a small gas burner under it that the one in the link is perfectly OK
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I agree Liebig is too small and is the only part that is soldered thus HDNB is correct not much effort in just cutting the other lengths.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

just type in plumbing wholesale (city) into the dr. google...there will be lots. the only thing you need there is 2" pipe and a 2" to NPT threaded adaptor for the bottom and 2" to 3/4" reducer or reducing T at the top.. All the small parts are likely cheaper at home depot or lowes. (lots of pros shop both places).
if you want to do the tri-clamp ferrule on the bottom and weld on to the keg instead of doing threaded connections google "stainless steel supplier" and modify with "process control" or "sanitary". you can also get parts shipped from USA for little or nothing from still dragon, glacier tanks, or a million SS suppliers.
the actual connection to the keg is the hardest part, but it would be too with the purchase you linked above.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Agree with others, Liebig is too small unless you run at low heat.

Just a little warning before you buy, assuming you plan to modify this kit to make a larger condenser. Where I'm at it's hard to buy any short lengths of copper, and most come in 10' sections. If you can't get short lengths, a little upgrade could get expensive fast. Just food for thought.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

If you have a metal scrap recycler nearby you might stop by and see what they have in the copper pile. They'll likely sell it to you for scrap prices and you can find some nice pipes there. Fittings are rare there though
Some men you jest cain't reach...
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

From the pictures, you still will need to solder the unit together, so you might as well build it yourself.. also remembering that the price guoted is in US funds, add the exchange and duty and you will save by building it..

I don't know what part of ON you are at, but I live about one hour from Sudbury, and all the wholesalers stock the required copper for a build.. and they sell it by the foot and six inch piece in the 1.5" and up..

Also check out some of the local plumber within the area you reside, they sometimes have pieces from jobs done..

Also, when buying from a wholesaler, ask for jobber's price.. just say its for plumping job you are doing for yourself..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Where about in ontario are you?
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
newfie
Novice

Post by newfie »

StillerBoy wrote:From the pictures, you still will need to solder the unit together, so you might as well build it yourself.. also remembering that the price guoted is in US funds, add the exchange and duty and you will save by building it..

I don't know what part of ON you are at, but I live about one hour from Sudbury, and all the wholesalers stock the required copper for a build.. and they sell it by the foot and six inch piece in the 1.5" and up..

Also check out some of the local plumber within the area you reside, they sometimes have pieces from jobs done..

Also, when buying from a wholesaler, ask for jobber's price.. just say its for plumping job you are doing for yourself..

Mars
Yeah, I have to solder most of it myself. Yeah, the price is in US. With shipping and import duties it'll cost just under $200 I believe. I attempted to gather everything I needed when I was in Fredericton, NB but after going to home depot, lowes, and any other home hardware place I saw I couldn't find anything larger than 1 inch. I did try a dozen local plumbers in NB but few got back to me even though I was willing to buy their scrap.

I'm near Barrie in ON right now. I'll have to see if I can find some wholesalers around that I can check out. I'd much rather buy local and save some money if I could.

Thanks for the help!
newfie
Novice

Post by newfie »

yakattack wrote:Where about in ontario are you?
near Barrie.
newfie
Novice

Post by newfie »

DBCFlash wrote:If you have a metal scrap recycler nearby you might stop by and see what they have in the copper pile. They'll likely sell it to you for scrap prices and you can find some nice pipes there. Fittings are rare there though
I tried in NB. I went and they had a box full but most was in poor condition. I picked out a few pieces and thought it was going to cost $5-8 as it was only a few small pieces. It ended up costing $18 and then I had to soak it and scrub it for days to clean it. I'd rather buy new if possible.

I wonder if scrap yards in ON would be better? :-)
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

I would forget scrap yards for copper, as you already have had some experience there..

Just did a search of Barrie plumbing wholesalers, and came up with few.. give them a call and see what they carry..

If you are not able to get what you are looking for.. give me a PM.. and I will see what I can do for you..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein