Stainless Pot Still Head Riser

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jif
Novice

Stainless Pot Still Head Riser

Post by Jif »

Hello all,

I've been sleuthing around looking at parts before I start construction on my still head, and I'm wondering if there's any issue using stainless up to the condenser coming off of a 15.5 boiler. Not including the actual cost of the clamps, a lot of places have 24" sections of copper and 24" 2" spools at tnear equal prices, and I figure the more modular the design ends up being, the better, for cleaning purposes. Plus, less soldering of 2" joints.

So long as my condenser is copper are there any potential issues with this?
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Stainless Pot Still Head Riser

Post by still_stirrin »

There is a good thread to read discussing copper on the rising vapor line and stainless on the decending vapor path. Search for it (HDGoogle) and you'll find it.

I much prefer copper on the riser and column, although my decending path (shotgun condenser) is also copper. Copper in the vapor path helps reduce the sulfurs in your product. Some use genuine copper scrubbies in a stainless riser quite effectively. Don't think I'd rely soley on the copper product condenser however.

But YMMV.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

The only place copper isn't beneficial in a pot still is in the condenser on a spirit run.

You may find this PDF interesting reading. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 0450.x/pdf
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Stick to copper, you will be happier in the long run.
Jif wrote: I figure the more modular the design ends up being, the better, for cleaning purposes.
A pot still should need no more cleaning than a quick squirt out with a garden hose straight after a run.
If you want to get really fussy you could dump it in a tub of hot dunder / backset for an hour then squirt it with the hose.
Your going to have plenty of that once you start distilling.
Jif
Novice

Post by Jif »

Saltbush Bill wrote:Stick to copper, you will be happier in the long run.
Jif wrote: I figure the more modular the design ends up being, the better, for cleaning purposes.
A pot still should need no more cleaning than a quick squirt out with a garden hose straight after a run.
If you want to get really fussy you could dump it in a tub of hot dunder / backset for an hour then squirt it with the hose.
Your going to have plenty of that once you start distilling.
Very interesting, I assumed that it'd be more intense than that.

I also plan on running gin through this, preferrably with vapor infusion. I figured doing the riser with tri clamps mean I could clamp in another spool between the riser and the elbow outfitted as a gin basket. Would it work just as well if I clamped a basket below the riser?
Jif
Novice

Post by Jif »

still_stirrin wrote:There is a good thread to read discussing copper on the rising vapor line and stainless on the decending vapor path. Search for it (HDGoogle) and you'll find it.

I much prefer copper on the riser and column, although my decending path (shotgun condenser) is also copper. Copper in the vapor path helps reduce the sulfurs in your product. Some use genuine copper scrubbies in a stainless riser quite effectively. Don't think I'd rely soley on the copper product condenser however.

But YMMV.
ss
Followed your advice and did some more reading. Looks like copper is the way to go for everything since I'm just going to build a Liebig for my first condenser.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

My riser, cross over and down spout going into the thumper are copper and my worm is 40' of 1/2" ID copper.
Only thing ss is my 2-15.5 Keg boiler and thumper.

You'll be happy with copper and you won't have to buy scrubbies and pull them out and clean them all the time.

Don't none of you ss guys come out shooting now. Just my opinion. Lol
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

Jif,
Check out the links to my modular SS stills in my signature. I put copper scrubbers in the riser on my pot still. I always do strip runs first so everything has passed through copper
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time