Keg stills

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

stillgreen
Novice

Keg stills

Post by stillgreen »

Quick question folks.
I understand we all reside In different countries but I was just looking for a general pointer in where everyone acquires there kegs and what sort of price range they are.

Thanks
jackpinesavage
Novice

Re: Keg stills

Post by jackpinesavage »

I am fortunate to work for a resort with a F&B operation and was able to pay the $50 deposit to get mine.
JPS
Like a lumberjack but wilder
Kruger1801
Novice

Post by Kruger1801 »

In South Africa, most large liquor stores that sell/rent you kegs full of beer dont take personal info and only require a very small cash deposit for a full keg of beer. Makro is one of them, similar to a Walmart I guess.

Have a fun weekend with friends and dont return the keg. I haven't gone this route before but I know a lot of homebrewers who have. Cash deposit is R500 or about $35 for a 50l keg.

I know some might disapprove of this, but this is how you get a keg here.

Cheers :thumbup:
miket
Novice

Post by miket »

My local brew strore has ones with the tri clamp flange welded on all ready to go for about $200 USD.

Im putting off buying that, my next door neighbor works for a distributor and will grab one for me for free and I will take it to my brothers machine shop and tig weld on large flanges. so it will it wont cost me much at all.

I told him I will flat out buy it.
Last edited by miket on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Kruger1801 wrote:...Have a fun weekend with friends and dont return the keg...Cash deposit is R500 or about $35 for a 50l keg...I know some might disapprove of this, but this is how you get a keg here.
That is stealing....it only drives cost back into the producer, who raises his prices to everyone. Plus, it's illegal.

Here: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 9#p6932589

Don't steal. Source your kegs legally.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Kruger1801
Novice

Post by Kruger1801 »

still_stirrin wrote:
Kruger1801 wrote:...Have a fun weekend with friends and dont return the keg...Cash deposit is R500 or about $35 for a 50l keg...I know some might disapprove of this, but this is how you get a keg here.
That is stealing....it only drives cost back into the producer, who raises his prices to everyone. Plus, it's illegal.

ss
I agree. We have to import large quantities of kegs for a business I'm part of, and lose lots of kegs due to this.
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

still_stirrin wrote:

ss
Friend owns a bar and very infrequently will source a keg for the asking as long as the deposit $$$$ is covered.. Apparently his distributor isn't concerned greatly about this as well nor is his source even after making inquiries. Happens so rarely that they write it off to normal attrition .Just relaying what he told me so please don't shoot the messenger .I live in a very rural area so the rarity of this occurring may be the reason for their lack of concern.

BS.
Last edited by Blarney Stoned on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

I get them off Adverts ( like gumtree or craigslist) about 10-30€ per each.
Don't be a dick
stillgreen
Novice

Post by stillgreen »

Thanks for the quick replies folks much appreciated. Not been at this game very long but already being sucked in looking at bigger capacity. Ways to better my set up.
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Blarney Stoned wrote:...Friend owns a bar and...Apparently his distributor isn't concerned greatly about this...
Neither the bar owner nor the distributer "owns" the kegs. The producer owns them. 1/2 barrel kegs cost approximately $125 USD for the beer producer and they circulate the "deposit required" kegs out for sales. Snagging them from the supply chain loop costs the producer and he will ultimately reflect that "shrinkage cost" back to the consumer in the form of purchase price.

And remember, those kegs have identification markings which show ownership such that they could prosecute if needed. But, in your favor is the fact that pursuing to prosecution for every "lost" keg would become expensive and cumbersome to the producer. So, they simply make everybody pay more for the beer.

Still....it IS stealing!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Blarney Stoned wrote:
still_stirrin wrote:

ss
Its stealing

Friend owns a bar and very infrequently will source a keg for the asking as long as the deposit $$$$ is covered.. Apparently his distributor isn't concerned greatly about this as well nor is his source even after making inquiries. Happens so rarely that they write it off to normal attrition .Just relaying what he told me so please don't shoot the messenger .I live in a very rural area so the rarity of this occurring may be the reason for their lack of concern.

BS.
Its stealing
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
miket
Novice

Post by miket »

Id rather pay for a keg , have a receipt to put in my file cabinet.

Same thing with my Oxygen Tanks, I paid for them and have the receipts even though when I fill them they just swap them for a full one, I never get the same one back.

The keg deposit is an incentive to just buy another keg of beer and not get the money back on the keg, just a swap. Keep the flow going. :)
Last edited by miket on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

"My local brew strore has ones with the tri clamp flange welded on all ready to go for about $200 USD."

The normal 15.5 gal US standard Sanke does not need a flange welded on for it to work with a flanged column and tri-clamp. I have three such kegs and all use the flange built into the keg.

BG
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

still_stirrin wrote:
Blarney Stoned wrote:...Friend owns a bar and...Apparently his distributor isn't concerned greatly about this...
Neither the bar owner nor the distributer "owns" the kegs. The producer owns them. 1/2 barrel kegs cost approximately $125 USD for the beer producer and they circulate the "deposit required" kegs out for sales. Snagging them from the supply chain loop costs the producer and he will ultimately reflect that "shrinkage cost" back to the consumer in the form of purchase price.

And remember, those kegs have identification markings which show ownership such that they could prosecute if needed. But, in your favor is the fact that pursuing to prosecution for every "lost" keg would become expensive and cumbersome to the producer. So, they simply make everybody pay more for the beer.

Still....it IS stealing!
ss
This thread could on forever SS. It's been suggested here to source from ebay. No guarantee of origin/ownership of said kegs. JMHO.

Peace.
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

Blarney Stoned wrote:
It's been suggested here to source from ebay. No guarantee of origin/ownership of said kegs. JMHO.
Darn the torpedoes and full speed ahead. I just bought a Coors 7.75 gallon keg to use as a thumper for $19.99. There's another on there for a bit more.

BS
stillgreen
Novice

Post by stillgreen »

Cheers everyone. I'll start searching
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

$50 here in US. A note on ethics vs. Legality. Distributors here won't take a keg back from anyone other than the purchaser. In a college town, often parties are thrown, and whoever bought the keg disappears, or wasnt even known to the party host at all. There is no way to return them. Scrappers wont take them because they know the ownership deal. So that just leaves orphaned kegs with literally nowhere to take them. I see no ethical issue, when there is no legal way of getting rid if it other than throw it in the trash.

I have no idea how common this loophole is, but it exists here.
Soggy Bottom Boy
Rumrunner
Location: Somewhere to the north of the.. ..Peoples Яepublik of Kalifoяnia

Post by Soggy Bottom Boy »

A local major brewing company near me sells their culled kegs after they spike a hole in the top dome for pretty cheap, $15-$20 if I remember correctly. Perfect for making keggles, or it would be simple to weld a patch over the hole for a still. Most are pretty beat up, but some are in good shape if you cherry-pick through them.

Legal, ...with a bill of sale from the owning brewery. It's a win-win
"Well, ......I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!" ...Ulysses Everett McGill

"Good thing you found HD. It's like the mythbusters of distilling." ...Prairiepiss
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

Local scrap/recyclers do not take kegs, (or propane tanks, for that matter), they have to cut all tanks in half as a requirement.
They are afraid of 'pressurized' tanks! People abandon them outside the business, I've picked 'em up for next to nothing, they just want to get rid of them, , , ,

Some workers live on the site & I've gotten propane tanks after they emptied them.

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
BamaBill
Novice

Post by BamaBill »

Found mine (15 and 7.5 )on Craigslist. Thinking about buying a second one, cutting them in half and welding them into a 30 gallon pot.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've gotten all 4 of my kegs from the local scrap yard, they even let me put my pressure test on them before I bought them.
idk where they came from but I bought them from there so I doubt they ever come looking for them.

They ain't the prettiest things but hols 2 lbs pressure for 10 minutes without a drop in pressure.
15$ Each