Post First Run Questions

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

KYBlueshine
Novice

Post First Run Questions

Post by KYBlueshine »

I'm running a 5 gallon pot stainless with a copper down tube and a copper condenser. Does the condenser have to wind down its whole run or are minor level points ok? My copper is 1/2 inch. My first run was a gallon of sugar wash and it didn't seem to want to start dripping out and to top it off it was baby blue in color! I did taste a very tiny bit of it and it had a slight coppery aftertaste and it numbed my mouth pretty well. So I know 1 gallon in a 5 gallon still isn't optimal but would that affect still performance? Any guidance will be appreciated. Have a nice day! :D

Q
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Post First Run Questions

Post by Still Life »

Assuming you're referring to a copper worm...
NO, there should be no level spots for a few reasons.

One, the distillation will gulp and surge when the level spot is eventually flooded.
Two, you're leaving alcohol ---albeit a small amount--- that you could've harvested.
Three, the sitting liquid will chemically react with copper and turn into blue deposits, which will come out on your next run.

Don't drink the Blue Magoo!

Expand out that coil so it's downhill all the way. Shoot some clean water (like from a forceful hose) to clean out the blue deposits.
Get all the water out, and dry the worm in the sun if you can.

If your coil is now too tall after stretching it, sit your boiler up higher with bricks, etc.
KYBlueshine
Novice

Post by KYBlueshine »

Still Life thanks for your insight sir. I did expand the coil out and tested the flow with small amounts of water and it ran out well and I intend on cleaning the still and worm out with vinegar and hot water.

Thanks so much

Q
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Still Life »

Excellent.
You should be golden now.
Give that worm an occasional wash out & sun dry and you'll keep getting good, clean product.