Leibig Condenser on a pot still?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

KYBlueshine
Novice

Leibig Condenser on a pot still?

Post by KYBlueshine »

Greetings you magnificent lunatics. Quick question. Can I use a Leibig Condenser on a 5 gallon pot still? I am tired of dealing with this damn worm. Thanks Yall

Q
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Re: Leibig Condenser on a pot still?

Post by The Baker »

Yes.

Geoff
The Baker
KYBlueshine
Novice

Post by KYBlueshine »

Thanks for your timely reply Geoff.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

No worries KYB.
As it happened I just got back from several weeks overseas, shower and hit the sack awhile after a nearly 24 hour flight (including a break, just long enough to get to the next flight and board!); and a few hours later started to hit the un-read posts in the site. Back to the sack again soon.
Some time ago I changed from a liebig to a worm for the pot still; but that was because it was in a shed remote from power and piped water and my little petrol pump died.
Now I am distilling at home with water, power, and natural gas (which I use to heat my 20 litre pot still) piped to the house.
My liebig is too small, designed for a less than 10 litre still but it works okay. See what others say about ideal sizes (and then maybe go bigger anyway). I will have a bigger one when I get it finished (my son-in-law will solder it) but it is an altered big one with an extra tube to make it a Davies condenser.
At the moment I get water from the garden tap and put the waste warm water on the vegie patch.
But I am putting a submersible pump in the garden rain-water tank for the bigger condenser. (An electrical outlet is nearby). It is the smallest and cheapest one I could get that is designed to operate a garden hose, not a little fountain one that would have cost nearly the same (under a hundred dollars.) The waste water will return to the top of the tank, and I can use the same pump to water the garden. A second bit of garden hose with a tap will allow excess water to return to the tank if there is too much pressure in the still hose.
I hope that is interesting.

Geoff
The Baker