Questions regarding a new build

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Brillweb101
Novice

Questions regarding a new build

Post by Brillweb101 »

Hi People.
I have been brewing for a while now and i have wanted to make a still for a while now so i can further explore the homebrew experience. I have a decent understanding of the science behind the whole thing and how it works as i have done it before helping my uncle with his plug in still and i have made a lab glassware set up and distilled ethanol while i was at school a while back so i understand the temperatures and the practice of the art. One issue i have encountered thus far is the with build itself, i planned on building my still from a pressure cooker (stainless Steel 6l ) I have almost no working knowledge when it comes to pressure cookers and i hope that this will not be my undoing I have acquired a Prestige Smartplus stainless steel 6l luckily i layed my hands on this one for free but i see they are £90 online! ..shocking) but i thought that it would have one valve that releases pressure once it begins to over pressure bit this one seems to have 2 holes that prevent it from pressurising and steam simply escapes with ease, naturally this in no good for a still. I suppose i wonder if this is a normal thing to have on a pressure cooker but more importantly i wonder if anyone knows of a way to seal the holes ( i plan to drill a new hole to put the copper pipework onto ) in an ideal world i would simply put a weld over the hole but i dont have access to a welder. I could lay my hands on a blow torch and i have a bit of sheet steel if soldering it up is an option, this depends on if i ca find an affordable food grade/safe solder.
While composing this thread i thought i might simply take the handle apart and attempt to put a nut and bolt through the hole and tighten it until its sealed ... this is turning into abit of a headache haha

I plan to build a condencer from coiled copper that will fin inside a can ( large soup can or similar ) that has a small water pump that will circulate cool water around the coil This is the easy part. assuming i can bend the coil without it collapsing, I will try the salt filled method to help prevent the sides from kinking

Over all i would appreciate any advice on the pressure cooker still build from you the experienced bunch.

thank you for taking the time to read my post and i hope you are all having a great day

Kind regards
B
der wo
Master of Distillation

Re: Questions regarding a new build

Post by der wo »

Everyone with experience doesn't use a pressure cooker here. They are the worst option you have. A few hours of research here, and you would know by yourself. Use the HD google button. Type in "pressure cooker".

Welcome,
you should read Crankys spoonfeeding thread and then ask your questions in the right subforum. Here is only small talk. If you ask detailed questions here the thread will get locked. This forum is very large. We try to kep it orderly.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Brillweb101
Novice

Post by Brillweb101 »

@ der wo: My questions are regarding design ...hence posting in the design section. and i know i have issues with the build but i dont think it is the worst option i have. Perhaps you might attempt to be helpful with your response

Its not always about the perfect set ups but rather making do with what you have and having fun with the project.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A pressure cooker is way up the list what not to use for a still for two important safety reasons. One, they are designed to hold pressure meaning that a blockage is extremely dangerous. Two, the seals are usually not made from materials that are safe with hot, high proof, alcohols and other solvents present in the vapor.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Sorry, I only saw it's your first post. So I thought it is in the welcome section.
So back on topic: I don't know what could be worse than a pressure cooker still. Yes, you don't need a perfect setup but something simple and safe.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
Brillweb101
Novice

Post by Brillweb101 »

@NZChris, The cooker has a pressure release valve, how can it be a danger if it has this, also it is stainless steel with the option to change the rubber seal and i planned to do just that, ( a tiny issue if an issue at all ) POLYSULPHIDE is an option from what i understand so thats 2 reasons that counter yours,

Why do i feel im getting a very negative reaction to this as a pose to actual friendly responses.
Brillweb101
Novice

Post by Brillweb101 »

I did not join this forum to argue with people I expected to converse on a topic of interest to all here. I feel although i have walked into a locals only bar or rough fuckers
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Brillweb101 wrote:Why do i feel im getting a very negative reaction to this as a pose to actual friendly responses.
Perhaps because you are not getting the replies you want to hear?

When a pressure cooker safety valve vents, it is usually venting steam, but you want to run fuel in it.

If it has a safety that blows out, the contents boil violently until the pressure reaches atmospheric. If you have ever seen this happen, it's dangerous enough already, without having fuel in it.

Can you provide a link to a data sheet for polysulphide please?
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

safety is of interest to all here first and foremost. you are off on the wrong foot

with what you think a still should be, and are ignoring the fact that you need

to learn what a proper safe still is. that and much more that you don't know

and NEED to know is in crankys spoonfeeding thread. read it.

not heeding what NZChris has to say is a big mistake,

he has 30 years of wisdom to share, and you have?

anybody can learn good safe still practices here,

but you have to be willing.

posted at the same time as NZChris
be water my friend
Brillweb101
Novice

Post by Brillweb101 »

So you "Master Distiller's" are saying a pressure cooker still cant be done? shoulent be done or is too unsafe to be done?
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

Brillweb101 wrote:@NZChris, The cooker has a pressure release valve, how can it be a danger if it has this, also it is stainless steel with the option to change the rubber seal and i planned to do just that, ( a tiny issue if an issue at all ) POLYSULPHIDE is an option from what i understand so thats 2 reasons that counter yours,

Why do i feel im getting a very negative reaction to this as a pose to actual friendly responses.
If the pressure relief goes off mid run then you will have a cloud of alcohol vapour in the air, do you think that a good idea?

The rules here state PTFE and some others for seals. Have a look at the thread 'The rules we live by'.

I am only very new here as well, I think that when it comes to safety these boys are very serious.

I didn't read it as negative, a little stern perhaps, but rightfully so.
Brillweb101
Novice

Post by Brillweb101 »

Obsessed with the safety aspect. as a pose to answering the questions i have asked,

I know 100% pressure cooker stills can work and safely. Its just a load of jobsworth bullshit that is fed here by people who take the master distiller title to seriously when all it really means if that you have posted alot..

I dont care if i get banned from this forum as a result of this but I have seen it all over the forum not just on my post... you guys try ti push your weight around with your "knowledge" but all you really are is a bunch of cunts with not much better to do but give people a hard time for asking advice.

I retract my kind regards and replace it with a big Go fuck your Mash
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

maybe do some reading on site and then decide about pressure cookers .
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper