Boiler and new Thumper

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Antler24
Trainee

Re: Boiler and new Thumper

Post by Antler24 »

Damn that's nice. I use a full size keg for boiler and a 1/2 barrel for the thumper. My next investment I think will be a 4" Ports and drain valves.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

I've got nothing to add, just wanted to say congrats to you guys on a real beauty build.
I cheaped out and used 3/4" pipe on mine, that 2" gives it great visual balance, made it a piece of art. :thumbup:

The keg-keg-liebig rig is so versatile, you must be very happy with it.
It seems like the perfect setup for potstilling, and it's just fun to gawk at!
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Gosh. Thanks everyone for your kind words. I think it's pretty also. Now down to business. If it makes whiskey as good as it looks I'll be a happy camper.
JBC
JBC
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Pikey, I paid 35$ for the drill pump so it's not that bad of a deal and it works like a dream, 24 gals of mash in less than 3 minutes :thumbup:

IDK about the west coast but here we have west marine/ port supply but I'm sure any boating supply would have the pump.

I have 16' of 2" and I like your rig so much I'm going to build mine from all 2" now :thumbup:
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Shine0n wrote:Pikey, I paid 35$ for the drill pump so it's not that bad of a deal and it works like a dream, 24 gals of mash in less than 3 minutes :thumbup:

IDK about the west coast but here we have west marine/ port supply but I'm sure any boating supply would have the pump.

I have 16' of 2" and I like your rig so much I'm going to build mine from all 2" now :thumbup:
Is this like the one you have ShinOn?
IMG_0820.JPG
It has a good rating and a 10 year warranty.
I've spent lots of time in West Marine. It's a candy store for boat owners.

By the way, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" :angel:
JBC
JBC
zach
Swill Maker

Post by zach »

RedwoodHillBilly wrote: I happen to have carbide cutters in 1 7/8", 2 7/8", and 3 7/8". That is why it was easy to do JBC's keg. Also, I use kapton tape as a solder mask to try and keep the solder joint neat.[edit: spelling]
Do you cut the hole after soldering?

Does the tape melt if solder gets on it? I see tape rated at 482 F on amazon,.

Can the tape hold the ferrule in place?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

That's not the exact one but it would work!
The one I have is for a cordless or electric drill and is pretty small but with the right rpm it will do 280 gal per hour which let's me do my ferments in a couple minutes.

It's one of the best investments I've made, I use a cordless makita 20v and she rips.

I can also buy replacement impellers for 8 bucks if I damage a vein because they are rubber impellers the are forgiving and let small bits pass.

I looked them up on Google and they had several ones that would do the trick. Some were as low as 15 bucks and high as 80, somewherein between should be good.

I don't know how to post shit on here as I'm not very savvy with that sort of stuff :|

Every pic I post is resized on my phone and is grainy at best even though I save as HD but it aint.

Maybe I shouldget my 18 year old niece to show me hot to do it better since she never has her phone out of her hand, lol
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

zach wrote:

I did everything but cut the cut the hole in the thumper and sweat the ferrule on.
Redwood did this for me.
The first thing he did was cut the hole. The bit was 3 and 7/8" and the ferrule is I believe 3 and 7/8" inside diameter. We prepped and cleaned the hole and ferrule just as if you were sweating copper pipe.
The tape is placed with about 1/8" inch gap Around the hole and the ferrule set on top of the hole. It is soldered with nothing but gravity holding it in place. The only reason for the tape is to keep the liquid silver solder where you want it.

ShineOn: Thanks man. I don't know if this one is what I'll get. I still have to go west marine and see what they have first. Ok: When I was in college the file system was index cards and microfiche.
If I can post picks so can you. And yes get your 18 year old niece to show you how. It's second nature to kids these days.
JBC
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

zach wrote:
RedwoodHillBilly wrote: I happen to have carbide cutters in 1 7/8", 2 7/8", and 3 7/8". That is why it was easy to do JBC's keg. Also, I use kapton tape as a solder mask to try and keep the solder joint neat.[edit: spelling]

No, before.

No, kapton tape doesn't melt, it sublimates. One of the uses for it is a solder mask to protect card edge fingers in printed circuit board manufacturing.

I don't. I just place it around the hole that I cut, leaving a 1/4" gap. This will constrain the solder between the ferrule and the kapton tape.
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Are those drill pumps rated for high temps? I'm looking for something to pump near boiling water and backset from the boiler to fermenter/mash tun.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
Jimy Dee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Jimy Dee »

ShineOn - you are as cute as a fox, well done with the pump. I love it. I have one stored away and I never even thought of using it. I am going to dust it down and get it going. Like all brilliant ideas it is simple and works.

JBC - with your new rig and a pump you are set for the stars.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Antler24 wrote:Are those drill pumps rated for high temps? I'm looking for something to pump near boiling water and backset from the boiler to fermenter/mash tun.
There are a couple of SS pump manufactures that can meet this need. We researched this back about 4 years ago, and found that they were pretty expensive, but could be had. Have not got the research material available now, but it's probably out of date as it relates to models, and prices now any way. You'll need to look for SS pumps with ceramic impellers, and we wanted self priming...

Good luck
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I seriously doubt it's rated for high temp but then again the reason I bought mine in the first place was to remove engine oil and antifreeze while hot right after a lift. (boats)

it's a natural rubber impeller with a brass guide for the center bolt so it's possible as I've had no problems removing hot ass antifreeze and it's kept on working.

like I said the replacement impellers are cheap as is the unit itself so maybe a purchase of 2 would suit your needs
Fish_06
Novice

Post by Fish_06 »

So is it cool to have your thumper the same size as your boiler? I've been on here looking for that info for a while today lol. I just got 3 15.5 gallon kegs and was wanting to do the thump keg like this but didn't know of it was too big
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Fish_06 wrote:So is it cool to have your thumper the same size as your boiler? I've been on here looking for that info for a while today lol. I just got 3 15.5 gallon kegs and was wanting to do the thump keg like this but didn't know of it was too big
It's not the size you should think about, it's the volume you put into it and the power you have to drive it. 2 15's work great! Just make sure there is enough liquid in the boiler for the run, and enough room in the thumper for the increase in volume. Some people do 10 and 10, I think I would personally try 13 into 7. Either would be fine, I think. 20 seems to be a good use of the extra capacity.
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

You don’t want the thumper to be smaller than 1/3 the size of your boiler.

Bigger? Sky’s the limit.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Sure, it's cool. Go for it.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

When I first wanted to make my thumper, mash tun, fermenter I wasn’t going to put a 4 inch port in the top for adding grains. I searched the Internet and found this.
It’s called a Plunge T-5 5 Gallon mixer.
69A83D3C-BDA8-4B3D-AC86-5A8009B75E24.jpeg
It fits easily through the 2 inch keg hole, mixes well and is great for aerating after you pitch your yeast.

This may be just the ticket for someone who doesn’t want to go through the hassle of cutting into there keg. :P
Gobble, Gobble
JBC
Attachments
B3B40BF7-55AD-4BD0-9E44-7AF5F30341F9.jpeg
77C7DE6F-CBF3-47A5-8AB2-E735104D2F3D.jpeg
JBC
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

JBC, That's very similar to the wine whip I got from the HBS for my meads, I'll also use it on my rum washes :thumbup:
Not sure of how durable it is for the AG mashes as they are very thick and mine has ptfe blades, I'll keep on with the mortar mixer and electric drill for those.
My Makita cordless was 220$ and I can hit up the pawn for electric drills for 20-30 apiece and the last one I bought 5 years ago is still kicking.
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Shine0n wrote:JBC, That's very similar to the wine whip I got from the HBS for my meads, I'll also use it on my rum washes :thumbup:
Not sure of how durable it is for the AG mashes as they are very thick and mine has ptfe blades, I'll keep on with the mortar mixer and electric drill for those.
My Makita cordless was 220$ and I can hit up the pawn for electric drills for 20-30 apiece and the last one I bought 5 years ago is still kicking.
I’m gonna look up the wine whip unless you have a pick.
What I do with my new setup is use the foldable mixing bit through the 2 inch porthole and pour the malt and grains in the 4 inch port. Since I use the thumper for mashing I only have to open the 2 inch port and can close the 4 inch. I think it helps with keeping the temp from dropping when mixing.
JBC
JBC
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

if that thing has steel blades I'd say go for it!
I bought mine to de-gas wines and to aerate my rum washes.
I guess the blades are plastic just in case you hit the walls of glass carboys, steel would have a far nastier outcome. lol

I don't have a pic to post and my phone uploads not so good pics.