Attaching SS to copper in column

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

GuyFawkes
Swill Maker

Attaching SS to copper in column

Post by GuyFawkes »

So, I use a design similar to the "Humper "Thumper" where I used a 1" SS nipple with 6" length from main boiler up to thumper, then 3/4" copper from thumper to liebig. This is satisfactory, however I managed to get two 3" SS with 6" length nipples for free, and while replacing the column into the thumper will be easy, I think it would be nice to up the diameter of the thumper to liebig too.
My idea is to use one of https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G ... 0DER&psc=1 out of the thumper, use the SS nipple, then connect to https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003G ... 0DER&psc=1
This would work fine, I've measured it out, but I'm now lost how to connect that to my liebig (3/4" copper pipe).
Ham-fisted illustration of what I'm talking about:
Untitled.png
Experience is what you get right after you need it.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Re: Attaching SS to copper in column

Post by LWTCS »

Union?
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

Maybe a plug reducer with 3/4 thread or a combo of reducer plugs so you can put a male copper thread with the union.
Attachments
E4D9EB65-ECFC-4CB2-9AE8-09F4DAF6EBD4-267-000000711741D210.jpeg
GuyFawkes
Swill Maker

Post by GuyFawkes »

LWTCS wrote:Union?
Is a copper union NPT? I sorta just assumed they weren't.
Pesty wrote:Maybe a plug reducer with 3/4 thread or a combo of reducer plugs so you can put a male copper thread with the union.
I saw those, my qualm is with the way they "cup" on the inside thread. Since it would be pointed downward, I'd get bad pooling, and therefore smearing. I also didn't see one go bigger than 2". But certainly an option.
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

Being stainless, if your only option is threaded pieces you don't have many options. You can clean up the inside of the cup to make it work or..

If you can tig or have someone who can, schedule 10 butt weld sanitary tube concentric reducers would be my next step.

3x2 welded to a 2x1 welded to a 1x3/4 soldered to a 3/4 copper union.
GuyFawkes
Swill Maker

Post by GuyFawkes »

Pesty wrote:Being stainless, if your only option is threaded pieces you don't have many options. You can clean up the inside of the cup to make it work or..

If you can tig or have someone who can, schedule 10 butt weld sanitary tube concentric reducers would be my next step.

3x2 welded to a 2x1 welded to a 1x3/4 soldered to a 3/4 copper union.
I mean, threaded isn't the only option. I could look into buying copper and going copper the whole way. Was just trying to see if there was a way to make use of that extra nipple. The two elbows already put me at $100, those reducers and finding a weldor to do this would probably double that, I'd guess. Which would be ok, cost wise, if only those reducers were inverted so that it wouldn't pool liquid. Perhaps copper is the way to go if I want to go bigger. Or find a weldor and go welded SS whole way. Would probably cost eventually the same and come out cleaner than this frankenstein I'm trying to build.
Free is great until it's not so free. Oh well.
GuyFawkes
Swill Maker

Post by GuyFawkes »

I know brass is sorta hit-or-miss here, but is lead-free brass actually lead-free for our purposes? Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016Y8OIBI/re ... B016Y9V89C
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

They make threaded reducers but you'll need nipples in each reduction that can also pool up around the threads.

You can get a 3" male copper adapter for 55-60 bucks online or shop locally if you have a supply house. From there is just copper reducers down to 3/4.
GuyFawkes
Swill Maker

Post by GuyFawkes »

Pesty wrote:They make threaded reducers but you'll need nipples in each reduction that can also pool up around the threads.

You can get a 3" male copper adapter for 55-60 bucks online or shop locally if you have a supply house. From there is just copper reducers down to 3/4.
Perhaps I'm having a brain fart here, it has been a long day.... but I don't know what you're referring to. Ideally I'm going from female elbow to 3" to 3/4" reducer to copper union.
Would a copper adapter thread right into a SS NPT thread? If it does that simplifies things.
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

You could get it tig welded.
Pesty
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pesty »

GuyFawkes wrote:
Pesty wrote:They make threaded reducers but you'll need nipples in each reduction that can also pool up around the threads.

Perhaps I'm having a brain fart here, it has been a long day.... but I don't know what you're referring to. Ideally I'm going from female elbow to 3" to 3/4" reducer to copper union.
Would a copper adapter thread right into a SS NPT thread? If it does that simplifies things.
Yes it will. plumbing pipe threads are NPT threads.
GuyFawkes
Swill Maker

Post by GuyFawkes »

Pesty wrote:Yes it will. plumbing pipe threads are NPT threads.
Ok, well that certainly widens my options. I'm not sure why I thought the threads would be different. Perhaps I could use a 3" cap and drill a hole and solder a 3/4" Cu pipe in there. I certainly like the prospect of copper better for its solderability.
I'm still awaiting the arrival of the 3" nipples, but once they arrive I'll decide how I'm going to proceed. I think I have some good options now, thanks for the input. Hopefully I'll remember to take and post some pics.
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

Pesty wrote:
GuyFawkes wrote:

Yes it will. plumbing pipe threads are NPT threads.
They are BSP or BSPT over here.