pot still without overpressure valve

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

pjeterschornstein
Novice

pot still without overpressure valve

Post by pjeterschornstein »

Hey all!

I'm building my first pot still. I am trying to connect the coil to the pressure cooker. The hole for the pressure rocker valve is very small and
I couldn't find a way to connect it without damaging the pot.
the safety valve on the other hand fits perfectly. Do you think I can use it instead and leave the rocker as well so nothing would happen?
As far as I know there shouldn't be enough pressure inside the pot to be a threat when stilling. Or..!?

Thanks!
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: pot still without overpressure valve

Post by kiwi Bruce »

The concept of using a pressure cooker for a potstill pot has long been abandoned here on HD, for safety reasons...I strongly recommend rethinking the idea, the risk of having one "blow" is just too great...and remember we're dealing with NASCAR racing fuel here, so the risk is not just of an explosion, but a fireball as well. The recommended size of the tube that comes out of your pot should be at LEAST a half inch in diameter (13 mm). Your no where near this with the safety valve port on your pressure cooker. The reason to stay this large is to give the pot free steam flow, any restriction like the wash puking into the riser or the coil could be disastrous. Regular SS cooking pots are cheap and easy to work with, they don't run the risk of high pressure blowout. Use your pressure cooker for cooking food and make yourself a good old potstill from a pot.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

+1 to what kiwi Bruce said. Forget the canner...get a stainless steel stock pot...or better yet...a keg!

Pressure cookers are too small, often made with cast aluminum, and utilize a rubber seal. Plus, we distill at atmospheric pressure, so you don't need a vessel capable of operating under pressure.

Read up on the site for a while and you'll have a much better idea (safer too) of how to build a still. Gather knowledge before gathering milk jugs for your product.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
pjeterschornstein
Novice

Post by pjeterschornstein »

I understand. thank you!