Looking for a ready made stove top pot still

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

bobrock99
Novice

Looking for a ready made stove top pot still

Post by bobrock99 »

Hi, I am looking to purchase a ready made stove top pot still that I can run around 5 or 6 gallons of fruit wine through to turn into brandy. I do not want to build one, so although I appreciate that many people here feel that is the way to go, I do not want to do it. I am not handy to that extent, and definitely not comfortable with putting it together. I can purchase one from Amazon I suppose if anyone knows of one that might do the trick. Thanks alot for any help you can give! :D
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Looking for a ready made stove top pot still

Post by HDNB »

if you want to post pictures of what you are considering the members can tell you it's shortcomings, and perhaps you can gleen some information about what may be the right choice for you, and maybe even get some ideas on how to run it better and ensure it is safe materials.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Don't get that Chinese stainless one with the worm that's for sure (pictured below). I had it to start out and it fell apart after two runs. Plus, who know what kind of solder etc they use... Find a dedicated reputable still building company and buy one online from them. Mile high distilling, brewhaus,... I think there is a post somewhere on here of recommended companies as well as ones to stay away from. Image
bobrock99
Novice

Post by bobrock99 »

I've looked at places like Mile Hi, their stuff looks like it might do the trick. The only concern I have with ordering online, whether from Mile Hi, Amazon or any other online vendor is getting a TTB letter. I've read your forum posts concerning this, so I know it happens now and then. I have access to a Homebrew store where they sell a Turbo 500 still, the copper dome and the copper condenser arm that fits on the top. I can purchase this at a highly discounted price because I know someone that works there who is a close friend. I can pay cash for it if I want. What do you think of this setup? Here is the link to the items I am talking about. I wouldn't be buying it from the place in the link, but my local homebrew store has this model in stock:

https://www.homebrewing.org/Alembic-Pot ... gLJX_D_BwE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Bobrock,

If you do a HDGoogle search on “T500”, you’ll get lots of hits. There is a lot of user info available, along with cautions, like this one: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7028712

The T500 has several components in it which are subject to failure, so while it is an “entry level” tool, you could do well sourcing a different supplier.

Just advice from my point of view.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

you could order from Canada if they will ship to you. no TTB reporting here. Absolutely no endorsement by me or this site but this guy is close enough to me i could kneecap him for you if he dicks you around:
https://hawkeprobate.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

there is another Canadian company called broken oar distilling. i tried to reach him once but he never got back to me. Others have said he's a good guy, apparently just not very motivated to sell stuff.

the conversion to the Canadian peso may be of interest to you too. There ain't no laws against importing/exporting stainless steel fittings and tanks.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
bobrock99
Novice

Post by bobrock99 »

still_stirrin wrote:Bobrock,

If you do a HDGoogle search on “T500”, you’ll get lots of hits. There is a lot of user info available, along with cautions, like this one: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 0#p7028712

The T500 has several components in it which are subject to failure, so while it is an “entry level” tool, you could do well sourcing a different supplier.

Just advice from my point of view.
ss

Yep i read that, thanks. that one is the reflux condenser which is not meant to be used like a pot still. The copper dome one I displayed is for flavored liquors like brandy, etc.. I am a little wary about the t500 with copper dome and coppery condenser, but I haven't read enough recent reviews about it yet to see if the design has been improved. Like I said the link you described is about the reflux condenser that is meant for neutrals.
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

For what it's worth, I'm a noob that doesn't know how to solder and too old to learn to do it well.
BEFORE I found HD, I went to Ebay and bought a 5 gallon copper pot with thumper & worm.
I found one like this that was for sale for $300 (it does include a temp gauge (not shown)).
I offered them $200 which included shipping and they took it.

What I got wasn't as polished and pretty as this, but it arrived pretty quickly with no complaints. It suits my purposes for whiskey making now, but do NOT take it as an endorsement or recommendation. In fact I don't believe the seller is on Ebay now in that name.
copper pot.jpg
copper pot.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
I'll let those who know better than I the pros and cons of this size and setup.

Best of luck!
:mrgreen:
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

As you calculate in gallons I suppose you live in the USoA. We do have a site called Marktplaats and I believe you have one called eBay. I found my second still on Marktplaats for € 125: 10 L, a helmet and a good Liebig. Still happy with it.
But than again: our government does not hunt for small stills.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

The only stills I feel comfortable recommending to anyone: copper alembic from "the whiskey still company"
When ordering tell them to keep the thermometer and that you want a seven coil worm. Get at least a 5 gallon.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
bobrock99
Novice

Post by bobrock99 »

Ok, thanks for all of the help, i'll consider all of this when deciding.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Working backwards, if you only have 6 gallons to distill and you want to make a flavorsome brandy, that can be done with a 2 gallon still. Brandies are best made by double distilling, so four charges of 1.5 gallons makes the low wines for the spirit run. This should make better brandy than a single 6 gallon run in an 8 gallon still.

I wouldn't buy a 2 gallon still, I'd knock one up out of a stock pot and copper from the scrappy and plumbing supply shop.