Opinions on still builds and stripping / spirit runs on two

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Opinions on still builds and stripping / spirit runs on two

Post by jon1163 »

I asked another's opinion and private message but I figure I might as well ask In the forum as well.

I was just wondering if with a pot and thumper you'd run your whiskeys once through as opposed to stripping and spirit. That's like 1.5 distillations I think.

Right now I have an 8 gallon dual purpose still from Mile high distilling. I run it as a pot only. Strip with no packing and then spirit with two fist sized copper mesh pieces.

I have this one
https://milehidistilling.com/product/8-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ... ose-tower/

I'm building a keg still with a keg thumper... Like this one except the keg is inspired by badmotivatoes build.

https://www.olympicdistillers.com/coppe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow ... -condenser

What are your thoughts on each one?

When I get the second one built should I skip stripping and just do large 1.5 runs? Im thinking that stripping and spirit through the keg/thumper might lose a lot of flavor.

Also, is this build a worthwhile upgrade to my current still?

Thanks man
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Opinions on still builds and stripping / spirit runs on

Post by sltm1 »

1.5 out of a pot and thumper is correct, personally I get the flavor profile I want without doing any spirit runs.....everyones taste is different. I'm a bit confused after looking at the still, how adding some copper mesh makes it a reflux still, I don't believe that small expanded cap on top with some copper mesh inside would produce much reflux action if any at all. Could someone explain please?
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

It’s not really creating a noticeable amount of reflux with the scrubbers. You would also need some kind of active cooling, with either an RC or at least a fan aimed at the column. A fan won’t do a lot, but you definitely can notice a difference.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Unfortunately that was my take also. Seem's a bit like a snake oil sale.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

that mile hi has a little RC at the top. I think the OP is referring to copper scrubbers for sequestering sulpher compounds in pot mode, not actually as a reflux media.

i use a pure SS column too and the addition of copper definitely improves the nose and flavour. i use it in strips and in spirit runs. copper plates was not enough, i had to fill about 8" of the column to get it working well.

having sampled SLTM's produce if he is getting what i tasted off a pot/thumper you want to learn more about his technique. it's good booze.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

HDNB wrote:that mile hi has a little RC at the top. I think the OP is referring to copper scrubbers for sequestering sulpher compounds in pot mode, not actually as a reflux media.

i use a pure SS column too and the addition of copper definitely improves the nose and flavour. i use it in strips and in spirit runs. copper plates was not enough, i had to fill about 8" of the column to get it working well.

having sampled SLTM's produce if he is getting what i tasted off a pot/thumper you want to learn more about his technique. it's good booze.
HDNB is correct about the purpose of the copper scrubbers. All I'm looking for is a little copper on Vapor contact. I only run my still as a pot still.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I suppose you put the mash in both the boiler and the thumper.
Or make 3 strip runs and then put these low wines in the boiler and a load of the mash in the thumper?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I do mostly one and done with my thumper as it's got the flavor I like and I can fill both pot and thumper with wash/mash and get 165-170p in one pass.

If I'm doing my infected rums I like to strip because I add infected dunder to the spirit run and it's a very clean tasting, if doing a normal rum I just run once because it's great that way too.

Thumpers are great tools and serve more than one purpose. Steam stripping grains/fruits, if you choose, stripping twice the amount of wash, getting higher proof with one run, add in flavors to simple washes "sugar" Shooting the thumper!!!

Endless possibilities, only thing holding you back would be you :thumbup:

Shine0n
Antler24
Trainee

Post by Antler24 »

Shine0n wrote:I do mostly one and done with my thumper as it's got the flavor I like and I can fill both pot and thumper with wash/mash and get 165-170p in one pass.

If I'm doing my infected rums I like to strip because I add infected dunder to the spirit run and it's a very clean tasting, if doing a normal rum I just run once because it's great that way too.

Thumpers are great tools and serve more than one purpose. Steam stripping grains/fruits, if you choose, stripping twice the amount of wash, getting higher proof with one run, add in flavors to simple washes "sugar" Shooting the thumper!!!

Shine0n

Nailed it!

I love my thumper.
Swedish Pride wrote:
get a brix reading on said ball bearings and then you can find out how much fermentables are in there
jon1163
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jon1163 »

Shine0n wrote:I do mostly one and done with my thumper as it's got the flavor I like and I can fill both pot and thumper with wash/mash and get 165-170p in one pass.

Shine0n
How do you steam strip grains with a thumper hookup?
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I simply put the clear beer from the mash in the boiler then using a funnel I put the leftover beer and grains in the thumper.
I get good flavors from the grains and strip more alcohol than squeezed alone.
Sometimes I make a sugar head after the ag mashes to not have to buy them and there are still good flavors left in them.

I do suggest a 1.5 drain for the thumper or 2"