Rice Vodka spirit run

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Rice Vodka spirit run

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

I love my new thumper and have been using it for my strip runs, then my spirit run is through my pot still. I will soon have 5 gallons of rice vodka stripped and ready for a spirit run. I want to run it through my thumper. I’m not sure where to put my vodka: Boiler & thumper?, vodka in the boiler & water in the in the thumper?, or water in the boiler & and vodka in the thumper. I’m leaning towards vodka in the boiler & water in the thumper. Is there an optimal way to run a thumper with low wines? And why?
15gal boiler and a 15gal thumper.
Thanks
JBC
JBC
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rice Vodka spirit run

Post by Swedish Pride »

never ran a thumper but I believe that water in the thumper would remove more flavour that the other way about, so I suppose it's down to how much flavour you want in a vodka.
for what it's worth, I ran my rice vodka twice through the pot and i found it quite light on flavour, if less it would be more neutral than vodka.
Don't be a dick
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Swedish Pride wrote:never ran a thumper but I believe that water in the thumper would remove more flavour that the other way about, so I suppose it's down to how much flavour you want in a vodka.
for what it's worth, I ran my rice vodka twice through the pot and i found it quite light on flavour, if less it would be more neutral than vodka.
I’ve done 3 batches twice through the pot strip- spirit. Loved the flavor.
This time I stripped with the clear wash in the boiler and the muck in the thump. I’m interested in keeping a little flavor
But I want to see how it comes out with the thumper involved in the spirit run. Most likely I’ll be using most of the vodka for infusing and mixed drinks.
JBC
JBC
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I sometimes strip with the thumper and spirit run with just the boiler depending on how much low wines I have to run, I run a thumper alot but water in the thumper will clean up the run and still retain flavors expecially since you ran the muck in the thumper to begin with.

I've not done rice so I can't comment on what flavors will shine through as I've heard they're light to begin with but stripping on the grains should have more than one that's been strained I would think.

Shine0n
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thanks Swede and ShineOn. I’ve been thinking on this and and thought as you said ShineOn that stripping on the grain in the thumper would be more flavor coming through. That’s why I thought 2 thumper runs. And the Swede suggested too much flavor being stripped away. I think I’m on a thumper high and want to use it all the time. :crazy: I love the delicate flavor the rice vodka produces and come to think about it a little more flavor might be a good thing. I think I’ll use just the boiler for my spirit run, and run it just a little slower. If it wasn’t such a long process Dialing in these recipes I probably wouldn’t get so worked up about trying something new.
JBC
JBC
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Jbc, rice is fun and easy with enzymes. I love it. When I do rice I put the cleared in the primary boiler and the slops in the thumper to strip it,then charged the primary with 30%low wines and water in the thump. Still plenty of flavor for a vodka for sure.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

jb-texshine wrote:Jbc, rice is fun and easy with enzymes. I love it. When I do rice I put the cleared in the primary boiler and the slops in the thumper to strip it,then charged the primary with 30%low wines and water in the thump. Still plenty of flavor for a vodka for sure.
JB: I’m doing the exact same protocol as you for my rice. Except for the spirit run. Going to have to review my options and make a disisson soon. My second batch is still fermenting. Now I’m on the fence again. This is what I love and hate about HD. Ahh!
JBC
JBC