New Easy Still with adjustable thermostat.

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: New Easy Still with adjustable thermostat.

Post by Dnderhead »

fish tank heater mite be handy if it gits cold where you live-- leave out the air stones ( glue) dap--- use high nitrate fertilizer--another place its used
is in food preservation /as sausage / hot dogs etc
SiliconJaguar
Novice

Post by SiliconJaguar »

Hi Guys, Back again with some more questions if thats alright?

I've obtained and ordered some more bits and peaces so I'm getting pretty close now to preparing my first wash.

I got a couple of 20 litre buckets, air locks and airlock gromets / seals.

I understand that I should only fill these to the 15 litre mark as they will require room as it tends to froth up a bit etc.

For my first wash I'll just use some raw sugar and some molasses that I have here for the horse. Hoping to get something akin to a white rum.

Not sure on the raw sugar & molasses qty's yet but that shouldn't be hard as I will just ratio down size from someone else's recipe.

A 200 Watt aquarium heater is on it's way from china, complements of EBay. :)

I also have some DAP, Biocibus nutrient (Like Ferment-K), & some Intec White Varietal Yeast coming.

The yeast was well worth buying in bulk at about $35 for half a kilo plus freight it will stay active from 7-35 deg C and tolerate up to 18% alcohol content during fermentation. And store easily for some 2-3 years plus.

My first question relates to activating the yeast.

From the PDF on the yeast.

--
Rehydrate the yeast in 10 times its weight of a solution 1:1 of distilled water and must, at a temperature
between
38-40°C. Let it rest for about 20 minutes. Keep adding equal amounts of must to the yeast culture,
observing a maximum difference of 5°C between the temperature of the yeast suspension and the must
addition until the solution is within 5°C of the remaining must. Add the active culture to the remaining
must in tank or vat.
--

OK, What is this `must' they talk about?

And how critical is this temperature?

Will it still work if I just rehydrate at say the normal 22 deg C of the fish tank heater heated water?

TNX again for your help guys.
.-.-.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

Do you like to make things complicated ?
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

The 'must' would be your mash or wash .
All they are saying is that to make a starter first before adding to your wash.
Cheers.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
punkin
Master of Distillation

Post by punkin »

I think that your wash would equate to the wine must here. So what they are saying if you want to do a yeast starter, pitch yeast in a 50% concentration of wash. That is to say, take some of your sugar water and add an equal quantity of tap water approximately the same temperature.

If you don't particularly feel the need for a yeast starter, just chuck it in on top of your wash and stir to airate and mix.
VicBill
Novice

Post by VicBill »

SJ,

After reading lots on this site, I quickly came to the conclusion of trying a few sugarwashes first using bakers yeast.

As I am in southern Victoria, where it can get cold, I find that I do not need a heater. I've been away for a couple of days and the brew is still pushing the airlock at 16 deg c. The fermenter is next to the heater where it is normally 18-22 deg c over winter.

I'm a novice too, but there is much you can learn here by reading, and reading. My opinion is that it is best to start off easy, and get something happening.
tracker0945
Trainee

Post by tracker0945 »

Good advice VB (how long did it take to come up with that handle :D )
Practical experience will answer a multitude of questions.
The worst thing to happen is that you will have to throw it out.
It will not blow up

Cheers.
2"x38" Bok mini and
Pot still with Leibig on 45 litre boiler
SiliconJaguar
Novice

Post by SiliconJaguar »

Let me guess.. Spam? Ho hum.

Anyhow it reminded me to reply to this post again.
--
Well as of today I finally have a wash fermenting.

Two hours after putting it all together it's bubbling away. So I guess thats a good sign.

This is what I did.

Raw Sugar Wash with a touch of coconut.
==================================
- 15Litres of Tank (rain) water.
- 5 Kilo's of Raw Sugar.
- 2 teaspoons of White Varietal yeast (7-35 deg C & 18% Alc tolerance).
- 3 teaspoons of DAP
- 1 teaspoon of Biocibus (Nutrient similar to Ferment-K).
- 1 Cup dessicated coconut.
- Aquarium Heater with plastic protector set to 22 deg C.

I dissolved the sugar by adding some boiled rain water to bring the mix up to about 30 deg C.

Also I re-hydrated the yeast for 10 minutes in some rain water and Biocibus at a temperature of 40 deg C.

Within 2 hours the brew was blowing the Air Lock / water trap almost dry. (I will have to work something better out tomorrow).

I now have about a weeks wait which will give me time to understand better the distilling procedure.

Fingers crossed I hope to get a spirit with a mild coconut taste much like Malibu.

When I get that far I will also post what alcohol percentages I get from the fermented wash and the first run through the pot still.

Two questions.

1. Should I stir the contents at any point while fermenting?
2. Should I add any more sugar at any point?

.-.-.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

Uhm, what's the alcohol tollerance on your yeast? If it's not close to 20% you ain't never gonna get all the sugar that's in there now to ferment, by my calculations. I'd add about 5 more litres of water if it were me. You don't have to stir but you may slosh it around in the fermenter by shaking the whole fermenter a little. The wash is blowing the water out of the airlock because of all the sugar in the wash probably, mine does that on a higher gravity wash/mash. You're gonna stress the hell out of your yeast that way and get some off flavors, I don't know for sure if any of the coconut is gonna come through the distillation.

15 gallon pot still, 2"x18" column with liebeg condensor on propane.
Modified Charles 803 w/ 50gal boiler, never ran so far.
SiliconJaguar
Novice

Post by SiliconJaguar »

Alcohol tolerance of the Yeast is 18% or better. I used an industrial wine / spirit making yeast that has a wide temperature tolerance (7 - 35 deg C). [White Varietal Yeast]

Actually there is probably more then 15 Litres of water in the fermenter as I filled it up to the handle marks in the side but wanted to leave a little room in the top as I didn't want it to end up all frothing out. So more like 4/5's or more of a 20 Litre fermenting drum. So lets say 16-17 Litres maybe.

I also wonder if I should have put more coconut in the mix for flavor. But oh well not to worry. The first one is always an experiment really. And I guess I can always use it to spread out a better run another time.

I've been doing some more reading of this most excellent site and it's quiet an exciting hobby with lots to learn.

I'm starting to understand better how you get the different products at different temperatures during the runs.

It's looking to me like I should start distilling at about 78 (or possibly even really 80 deg c) and finish at about 92 deg c collecting the output in half litre lots.

The pot still hold's 4 Litres so once it reaches temp I discard the first 20ml per run (But I'll probably discard more just in case).

And as the temperature is increased you get less ethanol and more water.

I can see my first run could be very interesting. :)

.-.-.
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

You may understand it and it's just not coming through in your writing, but you do realize that you don't set the temperature during distillation, right? You add steady heat, if possible with your set up, and the distillate comes through at the temp it comes through at. Different components just come through at different temps nothing more, nothing less, the components are still in the wash and will come through at some point whether it be all through the run while you're trying to control it or at different times in the run if you let it do it's thing on it's own and just control the heat input based on flow rate of the output.
SiliconJaguar
Novice

Post by SiliconJaguar »

OK, Yes your correct I was going to set the temperature at 80 - 90 deg C incrementally to try and capture the different quality parts of the run.

Would you like to give me a run down on how you would do it then please?

I am using one of the new temperature controllable easy still variants `Bevan' .
Here is a link to one on the Net.

http://www.webeatprices.com/product_inf ... 4066864535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I will also include some pictures in this post.

It is 750 Watt and has an adjustable thermostat from 55 - 100 deg C.
It also has an analogue temperature gauge meter with 5 deg C graduation marks.

I'm not exactly sure what the thermostat nob controls.

I did the following tests tonight just using water.

If I set it to 55 once the temperature gauge reaches 55 the fan cuts out and the green on light goes out and the red off light comes on.

If I set the control to 100 the temperature gauge only ever reaches 96 before switching so I assume the temp sensor is in the head of the unit at least.

If I then set the control to 90 over 2 hours later it has dropped to 86 on the temp gauge but still hasn't switched back on

So is this controlling the heating element as well? I'm thinking maybe yes. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to have an amp meter inline. (something I can't do).

I assume there would be some threshold variance on setting so it doesn't constantly switch in and out at a preset level. This would explain why it has to drop past the setting point before re triggering.

So should I maybe warm the thing up set on say 50 ish and once it reaches that set to say 90 and discard everything that comes out until the temperature gauge reaches say 80 to be sure?

What do you recon?

.-.-.

Close up of the control panel.
Close up of the control panel.
temperature-guage-2.jpg (24.3 KiB) Viewed 5260 times
Picture of the complete unit.
Picture of the complete unit.
essential-distiller2.jpg (10.22 KiB) Viewed 5253 times
trthskr4
Distiller

Post by trthskr4 »

I'm not sure it's possible or practical with that apparatus. The element is on/off and will give you some inconsistencies in the run, gurgling and spurting etc. I imagine. It's not the right way but no other way with that rig but try setting the temp to say 90-95 and just let it go and see what you get but I'm afraid you're gonna get heads throughout the run. When the green light is on then the element is on and vice versa with the red. Gonna be alot of temp fluctuation with it and alot of problems and headaches.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Dang...you are making this complicated. For a stripping run...turn it up full tilt and let it go. For 4L capacity you'll collect back about 1L or so.

Spirit run: turn it up full blast until something starts coming out. Once you get a steady stream, back off the heat incrementally just until the stream breaks up. Try to keep a stready stream if you can. Collect what comes out 50 to 100ml at a time. If it's cycling on and off and on and off ...you are going to get stuttering output..stream..stop..stream..dribble, etc. every time the heat kicks on.

Always toss the first 50-100ml. Make heart cuts by taste/smell and blend them together.

If it's like mine, the temp cut off switch is in the heating element sealed in the bottom. If anything burns on the bottom it will auto shut itself off—make sure whatever you cook in it doesn't have any sediment. If it gets beyond a certain temp (like if it runs dry, etc.,) it will auto shut off. This is a safety feature I would not circumvent.
SiliconJaguar
Novice

Post by SiliconJaguar »

OK. I finally got around to running my wash through.

Unfortunately it had sat a total of 3 weeks before I had time to run it. It was still just barely fizzing and burping. But not much at all. (We have had a lot of cold weather). So anyhow, I believe it might have been a bit sour.

Anyhow, here is my experience of the newer style Easy Still with thermostat control and temp meter.

Firstly. The temperature gauge is close to useless. It's accuracy is very questionable.

On my first pass I ran 3x 4ltr lots and one 2ltr lot (dregs),.

Keep in mind I don't believe these temperature readings.

92 deg C, Starts to flow.
First 50ml discarded.
1st 250ml reads 77.5 % with the hydrometer. (Room temperature 22 deg C). Liquid temp 41 deg C.
1 hour later I had my second 250ml output. 57 %
15 minutes later another 200ml @ 45%
Combined 53% & 31 ppm.
The still stopped by it's self when it hit 95 deg C.
Total running time. 1 hour & 15 minutes.

This first effort was very slow and stuttered. I basically let it do it's own thing. It would switch in and out a lot and stuff around and take ages to restart at times.

The second lot of 4ltrs I tried a different technique.
I found the temperature meter to be very untrustworthy. When the unit switches out the meter often skyrockets to 100 deg C and pin's. Also once it has cut out if you reset the power switch you find the meter drops back to a more releastic reading that is most likely even close to correct.

OK This time I do the following.

Start run
Skyrocket / reset at 55 deg C.
22 min's later Flowing at 86 deg C. ( 50 ml discarded ).
Flowing nice at 92 deg C.
35 min's from start, 250ml collected at 68%
45 min's from start, 250ml's collected @ 61%
55min's from start, 125ml @ 50% collected.
Combined 58%
Stop run.

I won't bore you with the next 2 lots.

I also re ran 2 litres of the first run through the still a second time.

11:38 - Started run with 2 litres @ 50%.
11:50 - 80 deg C flow starts (50ml discarded).
11:55 - 90 deg C 250ml @ 90%
12:00 - 92 deg C 250ml @ 90%
12:06 - 94 deg C 200ml @ 88%
12:13 - 94 deg C 50ml @ 86%
12:13 - Unit switches off.
Combined 84% once cooled to 22 deg room temp.

Note hydrometer still showed that exhausted remains from the pot still reads 35%.
I do wonder if I should re run this through with another batch?

Note the more realistic temperatures this time.
I put this down to the following operating technique.

Run the unit flat out. (Thermostat set to 100 deg C).
The unit will auto cut out twice before reaching the initial flow.
Each time it cuts out. Turn power off (reset) and count 3 back on.
Note that the temperature gauge has dropped dramatically from where it just read.
The gauge seems to suffer from something like a thermal run away effect at times.
When the output starts to flow. Switch off, count 3 back on.
This gives the correct reading of aprox 80 deg C as flow start. It also gives a clear indication of temperature and a clean constant flow slowly climbing from 80 to about 92 deg C where one should stop collecting. It also increases as it should gradually.

Using this technique you are able to separate heads heart and tails with a more realistic corresponding temperature reading.
Taste smell flow and % tests in sections on the way through tend to confirm this as being the best way to use this strange beast.

Please keep in mind that this is my very first try at this ever. And I am sure I have still made mistakes. As specially given that the device is obviously a pig to use.

I do plan on looking at getting a water cooled reflux still eventually. But I really wish they would perfect a fan cooled unit as it is far more acceptable to set up in suburbia.

Please I would love to hear comments and suggestions.

I plan on mixing a second wash in two days time. This time I will include more coconut and also some molassis.

Out of interest I tasted the wash from this first batch before distilling.
It tasted quiet nice, like a coconuttie wine!.
It also smelt very nice, and when heated gave a really nice aroma.

.-.-.
Usge
retired

Post by Usge »

Firstly, if your beer/wash tasted sour, that's a good thing. (so long as it wasn't "vinegary"). If it's sweet, it means it ain't done fermenting yet—the sugars convert to alcohol leaving it sour—thats what you want. 2nd, a 10% wash/mash has a higher starting temp than higher proof low-wines (2nd run). It sounds like you are doing the right thing ignoring the temp gauge all together and just monitoring the still to try and maintain a smooth flow. Use your hydrometer to check things as they come off. That's a more accurate way to work anyway. (recognizing that the temp of the distillate and size of your combined sample can throw things off).

If you are doing a 2 Run process:
Your first run should just be a stripping/reduction run. I'ts fine to separate things out (cuts) just for practice. But, you could really just collect it all in one large container (after tossing foreshots). You are shooting for a 1/4 to 1/3 reduction. So, on 4L, that means you should probably get back 1 to 1.3L that should be somewhere around mid-30s percent wise in E02. If your "low-wines" are coming back 58%..that's a little high, and probably an indication you have not gone far enough (collected enough).

As an example: starting with 4L of UJSM @ 10%, I get back just over 1L (about 1.2). That starts coming out at around 60-65% and drops throughout the run. Combined it's about 35%. If your distillate is 40c, it's throwing your hydrometer reading off. Check the correction tables (generally, your hydrometer would be erring on the high side, and you'd need to reduce the % reading to correct it). If your distillate were colder than the calibration temp of the hydrometer, you'd need to "add" % for correction. Most hydrometers are calibrated at 20c.

After doing 1/4 to 1/3 reduction several times, 3 or 4 "stripping runs", you'd then have enough to do a full "spirit run" on your combined low-wines. That's the one you want to separate out and make your cuts on. (after tossing foreshots). Save what you don't use as feints. There are differing views on how far to take this 2nd run. Some people stop around 30%...some take it on down to 10% to try and extract as much of the alcohol as possible so it can be re-run. It seems to be a personal preference and it's entirely up to you. Just keep track of what has gone in vs what has come out...so you don't boil your pot dry.
SiliconJaguar
Novice

Post by SiliconJaguar »

OK, Thanks for all the good info. You have helped me understand a few more things once again.

Also it's good to know that I was doing the right thing with the run.

Out of interest I have just mixed a fresh wash.

-20 litres tank water. (18 room temperature, 2 boiled in a jug to bring the temperature up a bit).
- 5 Kilo's Raw Sugar.
- 2 cup's Molasses.
- 2 Level Tea Spoons Yeast (White Varietal).
- 3 heaped tea Spoons of DAP.
- 1 Level Tea Spoon of Biocibus.

This one seems to be slower to take off. The first one I did was going crazy within the first 3 hours.
This one is fermenting already but very slowly. I don't know whether it's because I didn't warm / float the yeast first at 40 deg in 10x must like before. Or whether it's the molasses making life a bit harder for it.
It also could be that I didn't heat dissolve the sugar as well this time ?? Who knows.

I probably should have woken the yeast from it's hibernation a bit nicer then just throwing it in a pre mixed wash? Who know's.

I guess it will still be ok, just take a little longer to get a foot hold. ???

I think I probably needed more Molasses to transfer the flavor also, but I wasn't game to put any more in as I had heard it can cause issues.

Anyhow, we will see how this next lot goes in a few week's time. :)

.-.-.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

premixing sugar is important, if you just dump it in the fermenter you could fiend it just sitting on the bottom in a big icy looking mass. not rehydrating yest will give the wash a slower start but should catch up.
SiliconJaguar
Novice

Post by SiliconJaguar »

Hi Guys. Well here's a bit of a catch up.

I've done 2x 20 ltr washes so far.

Running 4x 4ltr runs at a time. I've been keeping the first two 750ml lots from the first run and then running the second half through again to produce a cleaner double strength lot of 750 ml.

I'm yet to bother with carbon filtering as I don't have a holder for the carbon yet. But I do have carbon. It will be interesting to see if it improves the taste or smell at all.

I'm also keeping my eye's out for a cheap second hand water reflux still.

Some things about these fan forced units with meter and thermostat.

At times it can be very hard to keep them running solid and with a clean flow.

The temperature gauge tends to suffer from thermal runaway. At times it can just go nuts and rocket to the top and switch out the heating and fan. If this happens during a capture section it means starting again and throwing away the heads yet again.

This can be quiet annoying. The best bet is to remove the limiting screw just below the thermostat knob so you can run it past the 100 mark. Also it is a good idea that when the unit gets up to temp (around 80 deg C) to switch it off, could to 5 (slow) then back on again. This tends to settle down the temp sensor and help give a more accurate reading and a smoother run.

The idea in it's self is great but definately needs some work. The whole getting away from flowing water thing really helps with making it a kitchen item.

I have also tried both coconut and molassis in the washes and it never really seems to transfer any taste to the output. Some of the runs show a bit of discolourtation at the end but nothing worth the effort I feel .

I will probably just try a normal sugar wash next time.

I do wonder about the benefits of throwing some Molassis in as I read that doing this negates the output of Methenol for some reason ?? Any light on this?

Anyhow, the playing continues.
.-.-.
Oracle
Novice

Post by Oracle »

trthskr4 wrote:I'm not sure it's possible or practical with that apparatus. The element is on/off and will give you some inconsistencies in the run, gurgling and spurting etc. I imagine. It's not the right way but no other way with that rig but try setting the temp to say 90-95 and just let it go and see what you get but I'm afraid you're gonna get heads throughout the run. When the green light is on then the element is on and vice versa with the red. Gonna be alot of temp fluctuation with it and alot of problems and headaches.
Curious about the observation that "you're gonna get heads throughout the run." Is this primarily because you think the temperature is gonna fluctuate too much (cycle on/off) or is it more a problem of volume (boiler) and inadequate head space/cooling coil? What could be done with this sort of set-up to reduce the "heads throughout the run"...?

I have seen several references to this sort of unit "popping" its top. Makes me wonder if there might be too much cooling and the distillate is backing up in the coil and increasing the pressure in the boiler section...

SiliconJaguar, just curious, is the distillate coming out of the unit still warm or is it cool?
Wicked are the branches on the tree of mankind...
SiliconJaguar
Novice

Post by SiliconJaguar »

Hi guys, I'm pleased to see a follow up post on this subject again finally.

Lots has happened.

OK. Firstly I had to bodge my still to keep it running already.

I believe the temperature sensor has died, but ti could still possibly be the controller.
It basically won't turn on any more. So I put a trimpot across the sensor connector and adjusted it to make the unit run again and then replaced the pot with a similar sized resistor.

Originally I contacted the importer / seller. But found him extreamly unhelpful, difficult and in my opinion highly dodgie. So be warned. I will not say too much more here but if anyone wants the full details feel free to contact me.

Needless to say the original 1 year verbal warranty of instant replacement was a joke to say the least.

I have since been in contact with the manufacturer and although very slow to finalise have promised to ship replacement parts and a second still at whole sale price.

In the mean time I operate the unit with out a functional temperature gauge which was highly inaccurate anyhow in my opinion.

I simply remove the heads, take off sections in 150ml increments and stop as the alcohol content drops off.

Now to answer some questions.

Yes the distilate comes out warm. (Your opinion on how this effects things please?).

No the element does not cut in and out through out the run when the unit is running correctly and the temperature is set to high. SO there should not be any stuttering of the flow.

I would be interested in getting some of the output tested myself. But personally I believe if you discard heads and tails correctly and as specially since I am double distilling I should be getting a pretty clean product.

My unit never pop's it's top but it also has more head space then the smaller design, and breathing holes in the top of the boiler, also sealing rings.

I have also looked at buying a water cooled still.

Unfortunately for suburban use I still feel it is too restrictive in its use of water and time to run and refill etc.
For me the Fan cooled counter tom model is much more usable.

.-.-.
woodward
Novice

Post by woodward »

hi i read your problem and i think what you need to do is set your thermostat to about 185
the wash will not get hotter than 170-180 as long as there is alcohl so at 185 your run is over
hope this helps.i worked for a chemical company and run a comercial still and that is the way we done it
woodward
Novice

Post by woodward »

i worked for a chemical company and run a commercial stripping still we would watch a temp gage it was a circular chart that run around with the time leave ink a ink mark and when the temp started to go up we would shut it down. set your temp at 180
and when it shuts down your run is done at 180 f not c
fuji0010
Novice

Post by fuji0010 »

Cantherm's MQT control thermostats. These thermostats were developed as a small, inexpensive, high performance bimetal thermostat used as a controller.

Having another go a few years later.

Post by SiliconJaguar »

Hi guy's, I'm back again.

It's been a few years and I've dragged out all the gear to have another go at distilling.
However I've already run into a few problems and need some advice please.

I put a wash together that was.

- 20 Litres tank water
- 8 Kilo's Raw Sugar
- 3 teaspoons of yeast. [Manufactured NOV 2006. Always refrigerated & kept sealed in the original foil pack].
(Yeast is - Intec - White Varietal - S. bayanus yeast strain - Temp tolerance 7-35 deg C, Alcohol tolerance 18%)
- 3 teaspoons DAP.
- 3 teaspoons Biocibus (Yeast nutrient).
- 22 deg C Fish Tank heater added after 3-4 days just in case.
- Stored down stairs in the laundry (Cooler cement underground area). External temp range at a guess 18-30 deg C aprox.

The fermentation seemed to be very slow. The burping of the air lock very slow right from the beginning and all the way through.
It had been fermenting for a good week and a half and had slowed down to nothing.
A couple of times I had to even open it up and stir it up adding more yeast each time (2-3 tea spoons) to get it going again.

Tasting it I could tell it didn't have a lot of alcohol in it and that it still had a very slightly sweet taste to it. However I *wouldn't* say it was still chocker block full of sugar or anything. But possibly still some not consumed.

The weather here has been crazy too. A lot of rain and cooler days but I would think easy still within temperature range for the yeast to ferment the wash. I ended up adding a fish tank heater just in case set to 22 deg C. But I honestly don't think it's even ever cut in once.

For the first 24 hours I don't think the fermenter had a good seal either after first mixing it.
I came down the next day to find it still not burping. That's when I discovered the small cap needed tightening on the top of the container.

I ran 4 litres through the still and I was lucky to get maybe 400 Mill's of clear clean alcohol out of it before it started passing rubbish very quickly.
What I did get was about 40% alcohol (Pot / Air still remember so not too bad a percentage).

I think I've covered all the possible clues. So here are the questions.

- Does old yeast get lazy or is it an all or nothing thing?
For example, if the yeast still activates and consumes the sugar, is it still good? Or is the yeast I am using too old and lazy and hence not creating the amount of alcohol that it normally did a few years back?

- Did I overload the thing with too much sugar slowing the fermentation down?

- Did not having an air tight seal for the first day beggar the process? If so why?

- Any other idea's you might have I'd be keen to hear please.

I'd like to put another wash on in the next few days, but I'd like to understand my mistakes first and correct these with the next attempt.

Thanks again for your help guys.

P.S. Does anyone know any better place to buy bulk Yeast and other supplies in .AU then http://www.enoltech.com.au ??
If I need more Yeast "Mycoferm CRU 69" Looks the go from this company?? Temp 8-34 deg c, Alcohol tolerance <18%, osmotolerant.
.-.-.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

* kg in 20L wash= 23% ???? half that amount of sugar whould be better.
next yeast dont like "yo yo" temperature,try to maintain a consistent 23-27c
suggest you split wash in two add water so you have 2 times as much and try to maintain temperature.
SiliconJaguar
Novice

Post by SiliconJaguar »

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

Can you tell me more about the Yeast though?

Is it a all or nothing thing? IE if it still activates it's fine??
Or does it become sluggish with age?

It was manufactured in NOV 2006.
However when I bought it I remember the guy saying it can last an easy 3+ years and if stored well much longer.

Also now that I have de-cantered 4 Litres and run that through the still and then thrown the remains back in the wash after it cooled, this would have diluted what's left. I have also added yeast again and it does seem a little more active this time??

And yes I think I wills stick to 5-6 Kilo's of sugar in the 20 litres of water max next time also.

.-.-.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

best if in doubt of yeast is to make a starter,this is nothing more than a "mini" ferment that you can control ,
take some of the diluted wash add yeast place in a warm dark place and give it a shake several times a day.
after it gits going good add to fermenter.(this can be made in a quart/litre jar,dont put the lid on tight.)
adding back the spent beer will just add back the sugar that did not ferment and mite have lowered PH.
best to use a wine/beer hydrometer.if you dont have one just make 2 washes out of the one.
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Welcome back, SiliconJaguar...

Most turbo yeasts will have a shorter shelf life than standard yeasts due to the chemicals they are packaged with... And all dry active yeasts lose viability over time, little by little... I don't remember the rate ff the top of my head but it is posted here in the forums, perhaps in the yeast section... For the price of yeast there is no reason to attempt using yeast that is 5 - 6 years old... We have more than enough decent simple recipes in the Tried and True Recipe forum to use that do just fine with bakers yeast...

Good luck in your return journey...
SiliconJaguar
Novice

Post by SiliconJaguar »

Hi rad14701, Yes that was the info I was after that the yeast does loose viability over time.

I just rang the supplier and he confirmed that the cell count is probably way down at this point after 6 years.

I will be ordering another half kilo tonight and it should arrive tomorrow or the next day.

What I used last time is no longer available so I have chosen a new one after talking to the gent on the phone.

Mycoferm CRU 69 (Aprox $50 - @500g) - 8-34 deg C, <18% Alcohol. http://www.enoltech.com.au/images/stori ... 69_ENG.pdf

Good temperature range, high Alcohol tolerance, & high sugar tolerant.

Will also get some Biocubis (Yeast food), and some Oak Chips while I am at it. (I assume I toast these, brush them off and drop them in the bottles of finished spirits to flavour & colour the spirit)?

I assume all my DAP I had stored will be fine? I don't think it degrades?

The CRU 69 is mainly marketed for the wine industry, does anyone know of a supplier of bulk yeasts that offers anything better?
Or is 18% about the most one could expect regardless? I know Turbo yeasts quote 21% but I was told early in the peace that that figure is a lot of BS and not to believe it. Also that turbo yeasts put a lot of rubbish into the mix?

.-.-.