15.5 gallon beer keg pot still question

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BlackSailJ
Novice

15.5 gallon beer keg pot still question

Post by BlackSailJ »

When using a 15.5 gallon beer keg for a pot still, what is the maximum volume that you target to fill? I was thinking 10 or 12 gallons but I am not sure what head space is needed. Thanks for any advice.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: 15.5 gallon beer keg pot still question

Post by Truckinbutch »

I have a large domed cap on mine that gives me exceptional headspace . I established my limit at 12.5 gallons with incremental increases .
Normal keg , using the sanke outlet , I would start at 8 gallons of clean wash and work up from there to establish my limit . Depends on how much your ferment is going to foam up and cause a puke .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

I’ve stripped 12 gallons in mine. But, I lauter my mashes...I don’t ferment “on the grain”, so my distiller’s beer is clearer than many. If you don’t clear your mashes, you can get more foaming in the boiler. So, you have to be careful how full you fill it. For a spirit run, you can fill to 12 gallons without worry, assuming you’ve stripped your ferments already.

How you heat the boiler can affect how full you can safely fill it too. A propane burner has a lot of direct heat and can cause the mash to froth during start up.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jog666
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jog666 »

Using the 80% fill suggestion found somewhere here on the forum is just shy 12.5 gallon. Ive stripped 13.25-13.5 gallons of mash/wine before without issues but I came up to temp a good bit slower for a strip run. Not sure if I got lucky from a slower start or the mash just wasnt a foamy one but I was fine. On a spirit run, I have filled to 14.5 or so gallons. It was an even slower start up.

Over all I think 12.5-13 gallons is a safe max fill range. Given youre not throwing a shit ton of heat to it (big propane burner) or a foamy mash.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I shoot for about 12 to 13 gallons on a strip. Have done up to 14.5 in a pinch. I use a sight glass so I can see the amount of foaming and can adjust heat accordingly to prevent puking. (You have to be quick with the heat adjustments with only a few gallons of head space.) With foamy washes I start slow and crank it up when foaming subsides, maybe after a 1/3 of the run is done.

Otis
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

OtisT wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:28 am I shoot for about 12 to 13 gallons on a strip. Have done up to 14.5 in a pinch. I use a sight glass so I can see the amount of foaming and can adjust heat accordingly to prevent puking. (You have to be quick with the heat adjustments with only a few gallons of head space.) With foamy washes I start slow and crank it up when foaming subsides, maybe after a 1/3 of the run is done.

Otis
+1 to what Otis said

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by heynonny »

12-13 gallons for me
I have this {not exactly} globe -> expansion bulb <-, on my pot still column:

When temp is close to "going over the top", this thing really makes a difference to prevent puking, have to be ready tho.

Its 2 SS containers 'silicon-bronze'd' together, (with TIG!), including the copper fittings top & bottom

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

In my 16g milk can I have stripped close to 15g but I might get a little puke if I don't slow it down as it comes up to temp. Easily do 15g with low wines...

-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————