How long can you keep backset before it spoils?

Simple pot still distillation and construction with or without a thumper.

Moderator: Site Moderator

n_plains_drifter
Swill Maker

How long can you keep backset before it spoils?

Post by n_plains_drifter »

Does backset get rotten? I ran my first full boiler charge last night, an AG corn whiskey. This was the clear runnings, so very little cloudiness and virtually no solids.

I've got a couple of batches of Bird's Wash in the fermenters clearing, so I'm not really ready to mash more AG. But figure that I'll get a batch running in a month or two.

If I put 15 l in a carboy and stopper it, will it last 30-45 days? If not, how long should I keep it before I should just toss it? Unfortunately, I don't have the freezer space to store it that way.

Does different beer recipes last differing amounts of time? Is storage temp a factor (I can keep it in a cool - 70 F basement)?

Thanks for the help

Drifter
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How long can you keep backset before it spoils?

Post by Chauncey »

Depends on how much alcohol is left in it, how its stored, and how much infection you seek. I have kept it in sealed buckets for months on top of some grain and yeast that wasnt squeezed. Ive kept it for weeks in various covered and uncovered containers and its been fine. A few times its had too much alcohol left or something and fruit flies and gone vinegary.

And when it comes outside of the whiskey world to rum, throw in a goats head. Lol
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How long can you keep backset before it spoils?

Post by jonnys_spirit »

It’ll be fine. I’ve let it sit for months and develop various infections with pellicles growing and still used it as a mash or spirit run adjunct. If it gets mold chuck it. Lactic infection with pellicle could be just what you like.

HD google search “infected backset”. There are a number of threads with info and foto’s.

Cheers!
-jonny

Cheers!
-jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————